Open letter to OUFC board

In just 19 days time we will start to see evidence of the financial position of our owner and his monied board of directors. This is of course the start of the January transfer window and if they have the financial power to improve the team, new players will have been lined up and contracts signed in time for the first week of January. The real proof of the financial abilities of Tiger and his pals is when, who and how many signings are made in January. As for Tigers treatment of the supporters, what else to you expect, he has no intention of sharing anything with the supporters other than sound bites.
If we suddenly spend a large amount on players in January, that would simply raise more questions for me...

- Where has the money come from?
- Has this increased OUFC’s debt?
- If so, to whom is the debt owed?
- If we can spend money on players, how come we couldn’t afford to pay the tax man?

If any supporters think that spending in January is a sign that all is now tickety-boo with the club finances, they really shouldn’t.

If we suddenly spend a large amount on players in January, that would simply raise more questions for me...

- If we can spend money on players, how come we couldn’t afford to pay the tax man?

If any supporters think that spending in January is a sign that all is now tickety-boo with the club finances, they really shouldn’t.
I don't disagree that there would still be questions Myles.
But it would suggest that the cashflow problems which was predumably the reason why the tax billbwasnt paid, have been resolved at least in the short term.

But it would suggest that the cashflow problems which was predumably the reason why the tax billbwasnt paid, have been resolved at least in the short term.
To be honest, I don’t think it would suggest that. “Cash flow” is the money the money coming in and out of the club on a regular basis - ticket sales, wages, taxes etc

If a kind benefactor were to buy me a Ferrari, that doesn’t mean I’ll be in a better position to pay my mortgage each month. If anything I could be in a worse position if I have to pay to run the thing. Much the same if, say, Thohir were to give the club the money for a player or two.

But, in the interests of validating my theory, I’d be happy if some kind soul were to buy me a Ferrari...

In just 19 days time we will start to see evidence of the financial position of our owner and his monied board of directors. This is of course the start of the January transfer window and if they have the financial power to improve the team, new players will have been lined up and contracts signed in time for the first week of January. The real proof of the financial abilities of Tiger and his pals is when, who and how many signings are made in January. As for Tigers treatment of the supporters, what else to you expect, he has no intention of sharing anything with the supporters other than sound bites.
Of course we all know that the old chestnut of ‘Signing players that will improve the squad in January is always really difficult as clubs are reluctant to let anyone go. We’ll stick with what we have for now but just you wait and see who we’ve got lined up in the summer!’ could always come up..

It could also suggest that Tiger has more than just a passing interest in the football side of things.

Tiger’s program notes for upcoming Blackpool match.

Good afternoon and welcome back for another important game against Blackpool. Like ourselves Blackpool have a great tradition. They are currently sitting in 8th position and will have ambitions to make it into the playoffs. The tangerines have won 4 out of their last 5 league games, so we will have to be at our best to secure the 3 points. With that in mind may I ask our wonderful supporters to get behind, like you always do and roar us to victory.

Off the field Blackpool have had well documented problems, but I don’t want to dwell on that, just to say let’s show everyone what a United club we are on and off the field.

On the field we achieved a very credible draw at highflying Peterborough. What an exciting finish it was to the match wasn’t it! Our supporters were superb as always. We really do have the best fans in the league and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for travelling in such large numbers. Our club really is United.

Our U18s also go from strength to strength. On Tuesday evening the youngsters secured a penalty shootout victory against Premier League opponents. It was a great all round effort from all involved, the players, management, staff and everyone who works so hard behind the scenes to make this club proud and United.

May I take this opportunity to remind supporters that we have some very exciting games coming up over the Festive period. On Boxing Day we entertain Southend United and on Saturday 29th December welcome Bristol Rovers to Grenoble Road. Both matches should prove to be entertaining encounters, so please encourage friends and family to come along and support the Yellows. I know the players really appreciate your amazing support especially at Christmas time.

After Christmas comes the New Year and as usual we will be holding our annual sale in the Club shop, on special offer will be our “Oxford - a United Football Club” t-shirt at just £9.99; come along and grab a bargain!

Also in January the transfer window reopens which is a very busy and exciting time for all involved at any football club. I know Karl, Shaun, and Derek have been working tirelessly, putting the miles in up and down the country looking at exciting, potential new signings. I can promise you that the board will do all it can to support Karl as we look to strengthen the squad.

As usual a lot is going on behind the scenes. The board is working extremely hard to make Oxford United a club we can all be proud of. I know our amazing supporters will understand that there will always be sensitive or confidential information that we have to keep in-house. However it won’t be too long before we have some very exciting news to tell you!

Enjoy the match
Tiger.

To be honest, I don’t think it would suggest that. “Cash flow” is the money the money coming in and out of the club on a regular basis - ticket sales, wages, taxes etc

If a kind benefactor were to buy me a Ferrari, that doesn’t mean I’ll be in a better position to pay my mortgage each month. If anything I could be in a worse position if I have to pay to run the thing. Much the same if, say, Thohir were to give the club the money for a player or two.

But, in the interests of validating my theory, I’d be happy if some kind soul were to buy me a Ferrari...

Not to mention the fact that HMRC would probably want to tax the “free” Ferrari as income!

Good afternoon and welcome back for another important game against Blackpool. Like ourselves Blackpool have a great tradition. They are currently sitting in 8th position and will have ambitions to make it into the playoffs. The tangerines have won 4 out of their last 5 league games, so we will have to be at our best to secure the 3 points. With that in mind may I ask our wonderful supporters to get behind, like you always do and roar us to victory.

Off the field Blackpool have had well documented problems, but I don’t want to dwell on that, just to say let’s show everyone what a United club we are on and off the field.

On the field we achieved a very credible draw at highflying Peterborough. What an exciting finish it was to the match wasn’t it! Our supporters were superb as always. We really do have the best fans in the league and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for travelling in such large numbers. Our club really is United.

Our U18s also go from strength to strength. On Tuesday evening the youngsters secured a penalty shootout victory against Premier League opponents. It was a great all round effort from all involved, the players, management, staff and everyone who works so hard behind the scenes to make this club proud and United.

May I take this opportunity to remind supporters that we have some very exciting games coming up over the Festive period. On Boxing Day we entertain Southend United and on Saturday 29th December welcome Bristol Rovers to Grenoble Road. Both matches should prove to be entertaining encounters, so please encourage friends and family to come along and support the Yellows. I know the players really appreciate your amazing support especially at Christmas time.

After Christmas comes the New Year and as usual we will be holding our annual sale in the Club shop, on special offer will be our “Oxford - a United Football Club” t-shirt at just £9.99; come along and grab a bargain!

Also in January the transfer window reopens which is a very busy and exciting time for all involved at any football club. I know Karl, Shaun, and Derek have been working tirelessly, putting the miles in up and down the country looking at exciting, potential new signings. I can promise you that the board will do all it can to support Karl as we look to strengthen the squad.

As usual a lot is going on behind the scenes. The board is working extremely hard to make Oxford United a club we can all be proud of. I know our amazing supporters will understand that there will always be sensitive or confidential information that we have to keep in-house. However it won’t be too long before we have some very exciting news to tell you!

Enjoy the match
Tiger.

Well done to Niall for finding the time to write that, blah blah blah!

Enjoy the match
Tiger.
I always had my suspicions that somebody else wrote Tigers notes for him but I’d never have guessed it was a poster on here. You do realise you’ve posted them on here instead of emailing them to Mr Williams..?

Myles, I don’t believe for one minute that any substantial amounts of money will be forthcoming for new players. Loans being cancelled and replaced with new ones is more likely.

It could also suggest that Tiger has more than just a passing interest in the football side of things.
To be fair Tiger has done ok on the football side especially the strategy of bringing on young player's.
I would imagine that one of Tiger's best signings has been Dan Harris. The success of the Youth Team, U23s and recently the first team in the past couple of months has been pretty impressive.
It is a real own goal that all of the good work on the football side has been overshadowed by the non payment of a tax bill and shocking communication that has followed this.

Just a brief update for those of you asking about Tiger's reply. We have maintained contact with him and he's been in Vietnam and Jakarta this week and will make a statement and update in Saturday's programme notes, and the official website.

We haven't asked to see the statement before anybody else, but that's no problem as we did ask for it to be in the public domain for all supporters to see.

We have maintained contact with him and he's been in Vietnam and Jakarta this week and will make a statement and update in Saturday's programme notes, and the official website.
At least we don't have to ask what he had for lunch... :)

Let's hope that there is some clarity and answers.
Hopefully not a generic update that doesn't say a lot and just leads to a whole load more questions..
Agreed. As an absolute minimum, the specific questions raised by OxVox need to be answered fully.

Just wondering something else. The club's owners in the past (Firoka, WPL) used to take charges over the club's assets as security for loans. There is of course the new-ish charge by Ensco over the player transfer fees / instalments / potential sales. But no charge by the current holding company or anyone else (other than the bank) securing any loans or debts.

Just wondering something else. The club's owners in the past (Firoka, WPL) used to take charges over the club's assets as security for loans. There is of course the new-ish charge by Ensco over the player transfer fees / instalments / potential sales. But no charge by the current holding company or anyone else (other than the bank) securing any loans or debts.
Interesting point that. One of the key differences with the current takeover deal is that there was significant investment by equity rather than debt. So, it raises the question of whether any other funds have been put into the club and, if so, are they so insignificant that it wasn't considered necessary to secure them? Or, have those funds actually been provided to the holding company, and that's where the charges are held?

Back
Top Bottom