New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Put my response in last week, to counter some of the antis from OX5. I kept it brief and to the point, as I have to say many of the people posting against it are posting long, rambling diatribes that make them sound like raving lunatics.

Being 67 years of age, and with an OX5 postcode, I probably perfectly fit the demographic of the "anti stadium" lobby. However nothing could be further from the truth, and in fact I recently bought this property to be close to where the stadium will be. So you can count me as the first positive commercial gain due to the stadium, two or more years before it's built! I look forward to either cycling to games or making the short train journey from Islip to Oxford Parkway.

I have previously spent many years living away from my birthplace of Oxfordshire, and Oxford United have been a central anchor in keeping me connected to the area, to family and friends, and to the fantastic community that is the Oxford United fanbase. Without the club, I suspect much of this would not have happened. Those against the stadium either don't understand this, or don't want to, and their perceived fears have unfortunately been fed by a malicious campaign against the club and its fans, conducted by a small group of professional objectors.

But the world, and football, has moved on. Matches are attended by people of every race, creed, colour, age, gender, and class. I urge you to approve this application, not for me, nor for my generation, but for the many thousands of children and young people who will benefit from it in years to come. It's a marvellous opportunity to give this county world class sporting facilities to match its world wide fame. You have the chance to be heroes to many, please do not pass this opportunity up.
Good post Colin. I agree, many of the contributors against have rambled on and on..

My dad, who some of you will know , has posted his support on behalf of him , my mum, 5 children, 13 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren! We’re all supporters of the club- though I doubt the great grandchildren know that yet..

So we’ve done our bit to keep the numbers up 😏. COYY.

convenient its signed on the day portal comment submissions close for planning - wonder if it'll negate/ rule out any supportive comments that mention HoT delay? - or am I being overly cynical & suspicious ?

there again, also cynically, I wonder if a certain party standing in local elections thursday week have realised getting into bed with the Greens ( and allowing Kidlington greens dictate what they do) has been a seriously bad decision?

convenient its signed on the day portal comment submissions close for planning - wonder if it'll negate/ rule out any supportive comments that mention HoT delay? - or am I being overly cynical & suspicious ?
We could see it coming a mile off.

Is "an agreement being reached" the same as the heads of terms actually being signed though?

The Lib Dem’s were never sharing beds with the Greens.

It would of been political suicide on there part!

It will all go through, and building will start in the Autumn.

Anyone fancy some part time labouring, to help speed up the build process…

The Lib Dem’s were never sharing beds with the Greens.

It would of been political suicide on there part!

It will all go through, and building will start in the Autumn.

Anyone fancy some part time labouring, to help speed up the build process…
More than happy to turn with a tea urn and some cakes for the builders.

As with anything signing etc until I see a scarf round the heads of terms it's not a done deal

Good news. Now get those last planning application comments in from you and friends and family!

A council statement read: “An agreement has been reached on heads of terms for the county council to lease land it owns near Kidlington for Oxford United to develop a new football stadium.

“The council’s cabinet agreed in principle for land known as ‘The Triangle’ to be leased at its meeting in September 2023.

“Detailed negotiations have now led to heads of terms being agreed. A number of other key legal and partnership agreements will follow to meet the council's strategic objectives and also to ensure that the club fulfils its commitments to the local community and sports groups.

“This agreement represents positive progress in helping the club secure a long-term home in the county. However, while this is an important milestone, it is only one step in a wider process.

“In addition to agreeing heads of terms, the lease of land comes with a number of conditions that the club must meet. These were agreed by the council’s cabinet in September 2023.

“These include the club securing planning permission from Cherwell District Council, the production of a net zero carbon plan and a detailed set of proposals that show how the club will meet its commitments around addressing the council’s strategic priorities – including improving public transport, sustainable transport and infrastructure connectivity.

“The county council is a statutory consultee in this planning application in its role as local highways authority and officers will continue to scrutinise the club’s plans in detail.”

Looks like the Oxford Mail article about the delays, and a bit of social media pressure on the Lib Dems has paid off. So well done all. Must admit I thought they would try to keep delaying until the local elections in a couple of weeks time.

However it’s just another hurdle we’ve had to overcome. More battles to come. Keep pushing.

Can’t help but feel we got a bit to close for comfort, and they hope by announcing this people will back of and certain councillors will still be allowed to partake in the process going forwards.

What we don't know about people like Gant and Levy is genuinely how bothered they actually are about the stadium being built. Their actions in objecting could suggest they are against it. But actually it could be just political fence sitting. Show the people who object it that you hear them whilst simultaneously approving the HoT with statements suggesting OCC support the club.

If planning gets approved we'll see where they really sit on this issue when they become the final step to this project starting, when they have to approve or reject the lease.

Back
Top Bottom