New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Any news on how the application for the bridge is getting on, as I believe it’s critical whether or not the stadium is approved

Got mine in finally over the weekend. Have to admit, I tried to go into it with my head and highlight the benefits in the proposal, but the heart took over quite quickly 😅

"I am writing to support the proposals for a new stadium on the Triangle site. As a Brackley resident, the new site allows me to very easily get to and from the stadium via public transport thanks to the excellent train links from Bicester to Oxford Parkway. Currently it takes me around 3 hours to travel via public transport to the Kassam Stadium, despite it only being 28 miles from my home. Naturally this is untenable and so car is the only option. The public transport links to the Kassam are poor and encourages fans to drive - the Kassam is currently one of the worst stadiums in the country in terms of accessibility via public transport. The new site would be in the top 3 best stadiums in the country in terms of accessibility via public transport, and would naturally encourage all fans, home and away, to utilise the excellent travel options.

What concerns me the most, however, is the damage that could be caused by the stadium not being given the go ahead. Make no mistake, if the stadium is denied, Oxford United WILL fold. No stadium = no club. Whilst the continued existence of a 130 year old Oxfordshire institute may not matter to a few, it matters a great deal to many. It's not just about football. It's about togetherness, it's about community, it's about having a home.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that OUFC saved my life. In 2010 I was in the midst of a mental health crisis. I suffered from crippling depression and anxiety, and had attempted to take my life on more than one occasion. On May 16th 2010, Oxford United were set to play at Wembley in the Conference playoff final. I had decided that this would be my last hurrah. One last experience before I go. But that's not what happened. Instead, I sat among 30,000 fellow yellows watching that third goal go in, and for the first time in 2 years I felt genuine peace and happiness. I felt I belonged. That day, this club, those fans - they showed me why life was worth living and despite planning to take my life after that final, instead I did not attempt again. 14 years later I could not be more thankful for that day, and I cannot wait to take my two children to the first game at the Triangle to show them how important and how special this club is.

This is what is at risk of being lost if the stadium is not given the go ahead. This isn't about politics, this is about saving the life of a special football club - the way it once saved mine. I implore you to give the stadium the go ahead, save my club and save one of the biggest and best institutions in Oxfordshire."

No idea what they are going on about
View attachment 19098

Planning Officer: 'Well, this all checks out. Transport modelling in place, BNG metrics approved, each and every point raised by OCC answered. I can't see any reason to prevent this. Just to be sure, I'll check this one final objection ...

[Planning Officer turns white, starts sweating, holds hands to face]

'The-the club want to sell their own products without a middle person. I-I-I'm stunned. Stop the diggers now!'

Got mine in finally over the weekend. Have to admit, I tried to go into it with my head and highlight the benefits in the proposal, but the heart took over quite quickly 😅

"I am writing to support the proposals for a new stadium on the Triangle site. As a Brackley resident, the new site allows me to very easily get to and from the stadium via public transport thanks to the excellent train links from Bicester to Oxford Parkway. Currently it takes me around 3 hours to travel via public transport to the Kassam Stadium, despite it only being 28 miles from my home. Naturally this is untenable and so car is the only option. The public transport links to the Kassam are poor and encourages fans to drive - the Kassam is currently one of the worst stadiums in the country in terms of accessibility via public transport. The new site would be in the top 3 best stadiums in the country in terms of accessibility via public transport, and would naturally encourage all fans, home and away, to utilise the excellent travel options.

What concerns me the most, however, is the damage that could be caused by the stadium not being given the go ahead. Make no mistake, if the stadium is denied, Oxford United WILL fold. No stadium = no club. Whilst the continued existence of a 130 year old Oxfordshire institute may not matter to a few, it matters a great deal to many. It's not just about football. It's about togetherness, it's about community, it's about having a home.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that OUFC saved my life. In 2010 I was in the midst of a mental health crisis. I suffered from crippling depression and anxiety, and had attempted to take my life on more than one occasion. On May 16th 2010, Oxford United were set to play at Wembley in the Conference playoff final. I had decided that this would be my last hurrah. One last experience before I go. But that's not what happened. Instead, I sat among 30,000 fellow yellows watching that third goal go in, and for the first time in 2 years I felt genuine peace and happiness. I felt I belonged. That day, this club, those fans - they showed me why life was worth living and despite planning to take my life after that final, instead I did not attempt again. 14 years later I could not be more thankful for that day, and I cannot wait to take my two children to the first game at the Triangle to show them how important and how special this club is.

This is what is at risk of being lost if the stadium is not given the go ahead. This isn't about politics, this is about saving the life of a special football club - the way it once saved mine. I implore you to give the stadium the go ahead, save my club and save one of the biggest and best institutions in Oxfordshire."

Stunning words. Thanks for sharing.

Any news on how the application for the bridge is getting on, as I believe it’s critical whether or not the stadium is approved
The planning application for the stadium is NOT dependant on a bridge. The bridge is a supplemental application in light of some criticism of how attendees at the stadium would cross the Oxford Road before and after an event. Traffic management will prove, eventually, that it will be perfectly ok for pedestrians to use the already planned (and soon to be installed) light controlled crossings. Additional safety measures with stewards in situ would be, in most sane folks opinion, more than adequate. This is already set as a precedent by many other stadia operating in similar circumstances. Our recent visit to the Coventry Building Society stadium is witness to how this works in practice. There is a bridge in place but, it is not used for the large numbers crossing as it would cause a bottleneck and be a greater risk.

The planning application for the stadium is NOT dependant on a bridge. The bridge is a supplemental application in light of some criticism of how attendees at the stadium would cross the Oxford Road before and after an event. Traffic management will prove, eventually, that it will be perfectly ok for pedestrians to use the already planned (and soon to be installed) light controlled crossings. Additional safety measures with stewards in situ would be, in most sane folks opinion, more than adequate. This is already set as a precedent by many other stadia operating in similar circumstances. Our recent visit to the Coventry Building Society stadium is witness to how this works in practice. There is a bridge in place but, it is not used for the large numbers crossing as it would cause a bottleneck and be a greater risk.
Spot on. If a bridge was built it could be a white elephant ( not used at matches) and it could be more dangerous if 1000's fans were crammed onto a bridge.
Common sense should prevail.

@Headley if your doing a dot count of support/against be careful lots of against posts are from people who have already done one and are now posting again

@Billyox
I didn’t think you could do more than one post, I thought it was one post per household.
If I’m wrong please let me know so that I can get another reply in.

Last edited:
@Headley if your doing a dot count of support/against be careful lots of against posts are from people who have already done one and are now posting again
My methods aren't sophisticated enough to pick up on that🤣

Not enough time on my hands to go through it that thoroughly

Maybe the Oxford mail should take a good read of this and understand the importance of OUFC on mental health and well being, Instead of siding with a few bigoted Nimbly's. An excellent and humbling read.

You sh

You shouldnt be able too and I take it they filter them out so it's one per person
Although if you go on the FoSB website, they are getting people to put in multiple submissions...

1713781620538.png

Put my response in last week, to counter some of the antis from OX5. I kept it brief and to the point, as I have to say many of the people posting against it are posting long, rambling diatribes that make them sound like raving lunatics.

Being 67 years of age, and with an OX5 postcode, I probably perfectly fit the demographic of the "anti stadium" lobby. However nothing could be further from the truth, and in fact I recently bought this property to be close to where the stadium will be. So you can count me as the first positive commercial gain due to the stadium, two or more years before it's built! I look forward to either cycling to games or making the short train journey from Islip to Oxford Parkway.

I have previously spent many years living away from my birthplace of Oxfordshire, and Oxford United have been a central anchor in keeping me connected to the area, to family and friends, and to the fantastic community that is the Oxford United fanbase. Without the club, I suspect much of this would not have happened. Those against the stadium either don't understand this, or don't want to, and their perceived fears have unfortunately been fed by a malicious campaign against the club and its fans, conducted by a small group of professional objectors.

But the world, and football, has moved on. Matches are attended by people of every race, creed, colour, age, gender, and class. I urge you to approve this application, not for me, nor for my generation, but for the many thousands of children and young people who will benefit from it in years to come. It's a marvellous opportunity to give this county world class sporting facilities to match its world wide fame. You have the chance to be heroes to many, please do not pass this opportunity up.

@Billyox
I didn’t think you could do more than one post, I thought it was one post per household.
If I’m wrong please let me know so that I can get another reply in.
Every person is entitled to make a representation, so everyone in your household can respond irrespective of the fact that you share an address.

Although if you go on the FoSB website, they are getting people to put in multiple submissions...
As I've posted previously, some objectors are going to some length to make submissions with differing name and address combinations, but if I can spot them with a bit of Excel, then I'm sure the council have more efficient ways of identifying them and therefore aggregating their views.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom