New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

There are 4 crossing points between Oxford parkway and Sainsbury roundabout.
Have been saying from day 1, that increasing the width of just 2 of them.
Would be more than adequate.
All linked to the traffic light system.
They manage to keep the traffic moving on the Chertsey Road outside Twickenham when the vast majority of the 80,000 crowd need to cross to get back into Twickenham the off site car parks and the station. This is all done through controlled crossing points. There is one pedestrian bridge, but by far the majority of the crowd cross that road at the controlled crossing points.

Moving a crowd of c 16k will be a breeze by comparison and the Oxford Rd is far less busy by comparison too!

I would like to put it out there that I feel we don’t need a bridge or a road closure.

As I understand it there are two crossing points-traffic lights at the moment at the parkway.Getting to the match no problems.
The amount of traffic after a game will be at a crawl so supporters leaving the game will be able to cross the road easily.
At Grenoble Road the amount of fans going in the direction of the science park after the game is huge, there are NO crossing points and to my knowledge in 20 plus years have been no accidents involving pedestrians.
The question is,are those Lib Dem’s saying, no bridge- no stadium or road closure no stadium?

As for those residents saying they will be prisoners in their own home I would suggest that between 3 and 5 every Saturday afternoon would be an ideal time to pop out because the road will be empty

A bridge is not needed, it’s an unnecessary waste of time, effort and money.

For 20 minutes on matchdays (23 times a year at quiet times of the week) privately owned vehicles will be able to take a short diversion via the under used Frieze Way, adding no more than 5 minutes to a journey.

During that time public transport and emergency vehicles will be able to access the Oxford Road.

Within a few weeks of being implemented local residents will adapt very quickly and wonder what all the fuss was about.

A bridge is not needed, it’s an unnecessary waste of time, effort and money.

For 20 minutes on matchdays (23 times a year at quiet times of the week) privately owned vehicles will be able to take a short diversion via the under used Frieze Way, adding no more than 5 minutes to a journey.

During that time public transport and emergency vehicles will be able to access the Oxford Road.

Within a few weeks of being implemented local residents will adapt very quickly and wonder what all the fuss was about.
In reality that’s true.

Unfortunately, OCC has publicly backed itself into a corner and made the non-disruption of the flow of traffic down the Oxford Road a non negotiable element of granting the lease.

Let’s hope the club can deliver.

Last edited:
Another batch of comments has been uploaded to the planning portal. 100% of them support the stadium, including a few from Kidlington. Also, it seems a local media ‘celebrity’ has put pen to paper.
wonder if the local media celebrity is acquainted with Stevopedia ?

I would like to put it out there that I feel we don’t need a bridge or a road closure.

As I understand it there are two crossing points-traffic lights at the moment at the parkway.Getting to the match no problems.
The amount of traffic after a game will be at a crawl so supporters leaving the game will be able to cross the road easily.
At Grenoble Road the amount of fans going in the direction of the science park after the game is huge, there are NO crossing points and to my knowledge in 20 plus years have been no accidents involving pedestrians.
The question is,are those Lib Dem’s saying, no bridge- no stadium or road closure no stadium?

As for those residents saying they will be prisoners in their own home I would suggest that between 3 and 5 every Saturday afternoon would be an ideal time to pop out because the road will be empty
The conditions set by occ is no road closures all our modeling is done on full capacity and with no bridge and they ridge think a half hour diversion would be enough and only for high ticket sales matches so we could say high ticket sales matches would only be maybe 5 a season depending on how we doing that season and who we play

Just thinking - I've been regularly watching football for 35 years. In that time I haven't seen anyone wee in a garden.

It reminds me of the old Frankie Boyle joke about how he was on the night bus home in Glasgow and out the window saw the most Scottish thing he'd ever seen. A bloke had a can of beer in one hand and a kebab in the other and was pissing all over a front door step. When he was finished, the bloke took his front door keys out and let himself in.

Another batch of comments has been uploaded to the planning portal. 100% of them support the stadium, including a few from Kidlington. Also, it seems a local media ‘celebrity’ has put pen to paper.

19 more supportive comments uploaded on 25 March. That’s excellent.

Stadium dot counters - how are the support/oppose comments going in the running tally?

The conditions set by occ is no road closures all our modeling is done on full capacity and with no bridge and they ridge think a half hour diversion would be enough and only for high ticket sales matches so we could say high ticket sales matches would only be maybe 5 a season depending on how we doing that season and who we play
I know its kind of splitting hairs, however IF Oxford road is open to emergency vehicles (and maybe buses/coaches) , wouldn't that technically equate to the road remaining open at peak times for high demand matches?

I know its kind of splitting hairs, however IF Oxford road is open to emergency vehicles (and maybe buses/coaches) , wouldn't that technically equate to the road remaining open at peak times for high demand matches?
The general plan is there's will be buses in bus stops on Oxford rd waiting to go and also buses waiting to go in park way away coaches on Oxford rd stadium side buses to Witney and peartree are to leave from the other side of the stadium along frieze way waiting on slip way into the stadium there is also talk of parking the peartree bus in the stadium itself. Not all 16k people will need to cross the road

I meant to the triangle.
Think it depends where people are and what people prioritise when they travel.

For Tuesday night games to the triangle I'd have to go from work. It's a 30 min drive but a 1hr 40 journey on public transport. If I'm at home it's a 25 min drive, 45 min train journey. If I'm staying with the people I go to games with it's a 20-25 min drive but 1hr journey on public transport.

Doesn't ever make much sense for me to do anything other than drive convenience wise.

In reality that’s true.

Unfortunately, OCC has publicly backed itself into a corner and made the non-disruption of the flow of traffic down the Oxford Road a non negotiable element of granting the lease.

Let’s hope the club can deliver.
So are they going to close off all the existing road crossings on matchdays and MAKE everyone use the bridge then?

As a follow up this is the route for supporters Screenshot_2024-03-27-09-32-34-35_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-27-09-36-03-97_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Any supporter of the new stadium or the club need to give a great deal of thought on May 2nd where they put their cross on the ballot paper.This is one time where your own positive impact will count on the future of the stadium.
If the Lib Dems and Greens continue to insist on the unnecessary footbridge then vote for another party. Both in May and the General Election later thus year.

I’ve just checked on google maps the time and distance from Sainsbury’s Kidlington to Cutteslowe roundabout via car

Via Oxford Road, 1.6 miles, 6 minutes.

Via Frieze Way 2.5 miles, 9 minutes.

So a diversion via Frieze Way adds less than a mile to your journey and takes just 3 minutes longer.

Demands for a bridge are ridiculous, totally unnecessary.

Our nimby friends don't know how to turn the steering wheel to miss the first exit and take the next one and drive down a road with a higher speed limit
I’ve just checked on google maps the time and distance from Sainsbury’s Kidlington to Cutteslowe roundabout via car

Via Oxford Road, 1.6 miles, 6 minutes.

Via Frieze Way 2.5 miles, 9 minutes.

So a diversion via Frieze Way adds less than a mile to your journey and takes just 3 minutes longer.

Demands for a bridge are ridiculous, totally unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom