New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Planning, if I understand the process, is not decided on a whim, a political standpoint or even if you just don't like football fans. It's decided on criteria. If the proposal meets the criteria and fulfils any pre-conditions, then there cannot be any grounds for refusal.

I get that totally. But we have to consider the human factor here. There will be people with hidden or not-so-hidden prejudices with this who can hold up the process or argue each and every point to delay matters further. They have to be objective but some of what they will discuss will be subjective too.

Maybe I'm too concerned about the make-up of the Planning Committee but we know there are agents and enemies of the stadium either on the Committee or waiting in the wings.

If the application is refused just because a few councillors "don't like it" then that will quite simply be the biggest scandal to hit Oxfordshire. The death of the counties only professional football club because of a few NIMBY's prejudices simply cannot happen.

This must be the best comment from 20/03. It is from a Kidlington resident.

First and foremost, I must clarify that I am neither an Oxford United supporter nor a football enthusiast. However, I have been tracking the stadium development with keen interest.Initially, I was completely opposed to it, then I became undecided, but as more informationemerged, my appreciation for the idea grew.Oxford United's need for this stadium is clear, and Kidlington's vitality could be rejuvenatedby the club's presence. The advantages of the stadium significantly surpass any drawbacks.Local businesses will enjoy a boost in commerce, and Stratfield Brake Sports Field will gaingenuine friends who will maintain the pitches, thereby saving the parish council aconsiderable sum of money that could be allocated to other important uses. With the stadium's proximity to Oxford Parkway train station, supporters from acrossOxfordshire-from Tackley to Thame-will have the opportunity to contribute to environmentalpreservation by opting for public transport over personal vehicles. The stadium's eco-friendlyfeatures align with our collective efforts to protect our planet.As a historic 130-year-old football club, Oxford United is woven into the fabric ofOxfordshire. I strongly advocate for this development and urge its realization for the benefitof the dedicated fans-both young and old. They deserve a stadium they can proudly calltheir own.

I get that totally. But we have to consider the human factor here. There will be people with hidden or not-so-hidden prejudices with this who can hold up the process or argue each and every point to delay matters further. They have to be objective but some of what they will discuss will be subjective too.

Maybe I'm too concerned about the make-up of the Planning Committee but we know there are agents and enemies of the stadium either on the Committee or waiting in the wings.
If the application is refused just because a few councillors "don't like it" then that will quite simply be the biggest scandal to hit Oxfordshire. The death of the counties only professional football club because of a few NIMBY's prejudices simply cannot happen.

Any, and all members of the planning group at CDC will be governed by the regulations.

Recommended reading: Determining a planning application.

Just one section from the above:

How must elected councillors and other members of the local authority consider planning applications?​

Local authority members are involved in planning matters to represent the interests of the whole community and must maintain an open mind when considering planning applications. Where members take decisions on planning applications they must do so in accordance with the development plan unless material considerations indicate otherwise. Members must only take into account material planning considerations, which can include public views where they relate to relevant planning matters. Local opposition or support for a proposal is not in itself a ground for refusing or granting planning permission, unless it is founded upon valid material planning reasons.

First and foremost, I must clarify that I am neither an Oxford United supporter nor a football enthusiast. However, I have been tracking the stadium development with keen interest.Initially, I was completely opposed to it, then I became undecided, but as more informationemerged, my appreciation for the idea grew.Oxford United's need for this stadium is clear, and Kidlington's vitality could be rejuvenatedby the club's presence. The advantages of the stadium significantly surpass any drawbacks.Local businesses will enjoy a boost in commerce, and Stratfield Brake Sports Field will gaingenuine friends who will maintain the pitches, thereby saving the parish council aconsiderable sum of money that could be allocated to other important uses. With the stadium's proximity to Oxford Parkway train station, supporters from acrossOxfordshire-from Tackley to Thame-will have the opportunity to contribute to environmentalpreservation by opting for public transport over personal vehicles. The stadium's eco-friendlyfeatures align with our collective efforts to protect our planet.As a historic 130-year-old football club, Oxford United is woven into the fabric ofOxfordshire. I strongly advocate for this development and urge its realization for the benefitof the dedicated fans-both young and old. They deserve a stadium they can proudly calltheir own.
Tackley eh? Wonder if he knows Steveopedia?

Out of interest, do the support or objections carry any official weight? or is more of a feedback on personal views? And could CDC just refuse it because they don't want it?
Numbers are a general view of local opinion which is useful however, a petition of hundreds of objections can carry very little weight if the concerns are not directly related to the material considerations. A well structured response referencing the relevant policies and how they are being met is more effective. The vast majority of the objections submitted are based on unfounded fears fuelled by misinformation. Planning committee members should only refuse something if they are confident that their decision reasons are sound and robust enough to be upheld at appeal. That said, the committee are not planning professionals and its not unheard of for members to be swayed by noisy local opinion even if their own planning officers are recommending approval. That's the danger for us to be aware of and counter.

Numbers are a general view of local opinion which is useful however, a petition of hundreds of objections can carry very little weight if the concerns are not directly related to the material considerations. A well structured response referencing the relevant policies and how they are being met is more effective. The vast majority of the objections submitted are based on unfounded fears fuelled by misinformation. Planning committee members should only refuse something if they are confident that their decision reasons are sound and robust enough to be upheld at appeal. That said, the committee are not planning professionals and its not unheard of for members to be swayed by noisy local opinion even if their own planning officers are recommending approval. That's the danger for us to be aware of and counter.
So could OCC step in and govern or advise if CDC seem to object on unreasonable grounds?

and you have all seen his work countless times before

No. It would have to go to appeal. Read my post above with link to the regulations and such like.

Saving a bit of time, this is the appeal process: Appeal planning decision

Let's say Cherwell refused and the club won on appeal from the secretary of state.

Does that slam the door shut on any possibility of a judicial review?

Let's say Cherwell refused and the club won on appeal from the secretary of state.

Does that slam the door shut on any possibility of a judicial review?
No, but it is less likely to be permitted

Back
Top Bottom