New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

For balance, Nigel Simpson should not be there either. He's an OUFC fan and season ticket holder.

The full CDC Planning Committee are listed here: https://modgov.cherwell.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=117

It's currently 8 CON, 3 LAB, 3 LDs, 2 INDs 1 GRN. Those numbers generally work in our favour since we know that the Conservatives and Labour are generally behind this but lose a couple of Tories (such as Simpson above) and in steps Middleton and the numbers look more shaky.

As you mention, Cllr Mawson and reserve Cllr Middleton have made their feelings well known. Neither should be anywhere near this although @Oxymoron seems to be the poster clued up on exactly what seems to be a 'conflict of interest' or predetermined viewpoint. Ian Middleton likes the sound of his voice so much that any one can see that his mind has been made up. Fiona Mawson is harder to prove. I suspect she is 'Ferretmeister' on the OM comments page but she's certainly not said anything majorly damning, nor can we prove it is her. That said, she has voted against the stadium as a KPC councillor though.

I've mentioned before that Cllr McLean has never actually voted against the stadium as a councillor for KPC. She abstained in the 7 September KPC motion to oppose the stadium and was the only KPC councillor to do so (Item 23/059). She's voted in favour of objecting to the stadium unless KPC's usual four demands were met in June 2023. I don't suspect she's a true ally but she's presented herself more fairly knowing she wears more than one councillor hat.

FYI - the next two Planning Commitee meetings are scheduled for Thursday 6th June at 4pm and Thursday 4th July at 4pm.
Is the planning committee likely to change after the local elections in May or is it set in stone to be the committee making the decision on the Stadium ?

It’s incredibly heartening to see so many positive, supportive comments on the planning application, particularly those who are not necessarily Oxford United supporters, but with an objective eye can see the location makes perfect sense.

We’re winning the argument because we’re on the right side of the argument.

For balance, Nigel Simpson should not be there either. He's an OUFC fan and season ticket holder.

The full CDC Planning Committee are listed here: https://modgov.cherwell.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=117

It's currently 8 CON, 3 LAB, 3 LDs, 2 INDs 1 GRN. Those numbers generally work in our favour since we know that the Conservatives and Labour are generally behind this but lose a couple of Tories (such as Simpson above) and in steps Middleton and the numbers look more shaky.

As you mention, Cllr Mawson and reserve Cllr Middleton have made their feelings well known. Neither should be anywhere near this although @Oxymoron seems to be the poster clued up on exactly what seems to be a 'conflict of interest' or predetermined viewpoint. Ian Middleton likes the sound of his voice so much that any one can see that his mind has been made up. Fiona Mawson is harder to prove. I suspect she is 'Ferretmeister' on the OM comments page but she's certainly not said anything majorly damning, nor can we prove it is her. That said, she has voted against the stadium as a KPC councillor though.

I've mentioned before that Cllr McLean has never actually voted against the stadium as a councillor for KPC. She abstained in the 7 September KPC motion to oppose the stadium and was the only KPC councillor to do so (Item 23/059). She's voted in favour of objecting to the stadium unless KPC's usual four demands were met in June 2023. I don't suspect she's a true ally but she's presented herself more fairly knowing she wears more than one councillor hat.

FYI - the next two Planning Commitee meetings are scheduled for Thursday 6th June at 4pm and Thursday 4th July at 4pm.

The make up of the committee is likely to change after May's local elections with the Tories predicted to take a kicking.

The make up of the committee is likely to change after May's local elections with the Tories predicted to take a kicking.
You'd really hope political allegiances are not at play in the decision and the planning application is seen for what is is - a massive opportunity to improve Oxfordshire for future generations.

Besides the very obvious malicious attempt to delay OUFC and CDC from progressing with the application, i do wonder whether Middleton and FoSB are trying to confect a case using the VISSIM example, that the planning process has not been properly adhered to, in lieu of a hypothetical attempt to get a judicial review, if permission is granted?

It seems a vanishingly thin argument, but that seems to reflect where FoSB and Middleton are at the moment.

Besides the very obvious malicious attempt to delay OUFC and CDC from progressing with the application, i do wonder whether Middleton and FoSB are trying to confect a case using the VISSIM example, that the planning process has not been properly adhered to, in lieu of a hypothetical attempt to get a judicial review, if permission is granted?

It seems a vanishingly thin argument, but that seems to reflect where FoSB and Middleton are at the moment.
you could say that if we dont do it, but as we have said we are welcome it and are doing it thats where the argument stops

Out of interest, do the support or objections carry any official weight? or is more of a feedback on personal views? And could CDC just refuse it because they don't want it?

Yes, that does seem to be their play. Let's hope the new modelling can be done before 21st June.

Given Middleton's clear anti-stadium stance and the obvious potential that he could influence his wife, Cllr Mawson's views on this matter, you have to wonder if its appropriate for her to be on the planning committee for the stadium application.

Also, its very likely as the Leader of the Oxfordshire Green Party will try and whip his fellow councillors to share his views so you have to wonder if its fair that any Green Party councillors are on the committee for the stadium application.

Cllr McLean has already voted for anti-stadium motions/opinions on KPC so has fettered her position I'd say.

Lots for Cherwell to consider.

However there is an investigation into predetermination I'd fully expect the Greens to drag their heels in giving evidence to delay the process so perhaps its best Cherwell don't look into it.

The club are aware and so are the clubs legal team

Once again, a councillor who has a place on a planning committee (albeit as a reserve) does not seem to know the basics of planning decisions. A planning application can only take into account details that are available at the time for consideration.

For example, a village maybe preparing a Local Plan which states that new development can only take place to the North of the settlement, as that is what the populace wants. A developer can submit plans to build to the South and because the Local Plan has not been adopted, it cannot be used ("given weight") as a reason why the development cannot go ahead and neither can you postpone making a decision until it comes into force.

OUFC can only submit traffic modelling on the available, approved platform - the fact there is another one coming along is not material to the application.

Planning, if I understand the process, is not decided on a whim, a political standpoint or even if you just don't like football fans. It's decided on criteria. If the proposal meets the criteria and fulfils any pre-conditions, then there cannot be any grounds for refusal.
I assume if the Council don't follow such rules to the letter, there is a good chance that there will be an appeal, costing the Council more money and time.
So they have every reason to follow planning rules and not have some of Middleston's mates opposing as they don't like football fans.

Back
Top Bottom