New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

I think the Oxford Road should become an LTN as it is basically a cut through possibly have a bus gate. Traffic should be using the dual carriageway Frieze way to access Kidlington.
This would negate road closure problems.
If East Oxford has to put up with them perhaps North Oxford can too.
So are you suggesting a Kidlington/North Oxfordshire resident who may be playing or returning from a round of golf at north Oxford, or returning home from London by train. Would then need to make a 2 1/2 mile detour to get to Sainsbury’s roundabout.
Why not just put a large pelican crossing /zone between the traffic lights at Water Eaton park and ride and the new crossings/lights at the Sainsbury roundabout . And link them

So are you suggesting a Kidlington/North Oxfordshire resident who may be playing or returning from a round of golf at north Oxford, or returning home from London by train. Would then need to make a 2 1/2 mile detour to get to Sainsbury’s roundabout.
Why not just put a large pelican crossing /zone between the traffic lights at Water Eaton park and ride and the new crossings/lights at the Sainsbury roundabout . And link them
Yep that's what I would think about doing.

Working on Kidlington roundabout now , I think putting in lights so make the crossing bigger and there’s one on the bridge just make it bigger so simple , and make crossing on frieze way bigger not rock science,we have to cross road’s every day

I would have thought that we could do a tiered system to adapt based on expected numbers.

Pelican crossing for access to the stadium on non-match days, women's games and your checkatrade pizza cars cup games. A pedestrian bridge to support the gradual flow of supporters before a game. And some traffic management arrangements that would involve short but controlled road closures for games at near capacity and in the 30 mins or so after the final whistle.

I know that a bridge had been almost ruled out before, but if it was the only thing standing in the way of planning approval then I'm sure some agreement could be made to make this happen.

I come that way home back to Kidlington after every game and there is never any traffic so crossing roads shouldn’t be a problem within 20/30 minutes like at Derby and lots of other places I’ve been to the crowd has mostly gone making big fuss over nothing

Detours much like the residents of East Oxford have to make every day, for short journeys like that they should be walking/cycling or using public transport.
That's the OCC way.

Oxford Mail
DAILY CATCH-UP

Welcome to the Daily Catch-up if you missed today's headlines on a day when there was tragedy on the roads and the dramatic scene of a car crashing into shop fronts.

The woman was killed on the M40 near Lewknor this morning
'Extremely tragic': Woman hit by lorry on M40 after getting out of car
Pictures taken this morning of the crash in Iffley Road
Dramatic crash DESTROYS SHOP FRONTS in busy Oxford road

Police have appealed for witnesses to the crash in Banbury
Subaru driver, 33, killed after suffering 'severe head injury' in crash
Leah has now been found by police
Missing girl, 14, now found after police turn to public for help
A fallen tree on Cumnor Hill during Storm Henk earlier this month
Police warn of 'falling trees' as Storm Isha batters Oxfordshire
The crash took place on the M40 in the early hours of the morning
Woman killed in horror crash on M40 between lorry and car
The woman, 72, was taken to hospital after the crash
Van crashes into pedestrian, 72, causing 'spinal injuries'
LIVE UPDATES: Severe weather disrupting train services
Severe weather disrupting train services
The Conservatives are expected to struggle at the next election
ANALYSIS: Polls show Conservatives in trouble across Oxfordshire
Flowers have been left the scene of the crash in Banbury
Tributes left at scene of crash that killed driver, 33

Other than the tragic death on the M40,I think for once , he might have a point here .

Oxford Mail
DAILY CATCH-UP

Welcome to the Daily Catch-up if you missed today's headlines on a day when there was tragedy on the roads and the dramatic scene of a car crashing into shop fronts.

The woman was killed on the M40 near Lewknor this morning
'Extremely tragic': Woman hit by lorry on M40 after getting out of car
Pictures taken this morning of the crash in Iffley Road
Dramatic crash DESTROYS SHOP FRONTS in busy Oxford road

Police have appealed for witnesses to the crash in Banbury
Subaru driver, 33, killed after suffering 'severe head injury' in crash
Leah has now been found by police
Missing girl, 14, now found after police turn to public for help
A fallen tree on Cumnor Hill during Storm Henk earlier this month
Police warn of 'falling trees' as Storm Isha batters Oxfordshire
The crash took place on the M40 in the early hours of the morning
Woman killed in horror crash on M40 between lorry and car
The woman, 72, was taken to hospital after the crash
Van crashes into pedestrian, 72, causing 'spinal injuries'
LIVE UPDATES: Severe weather disrupting train services
Severe weather disrupting train services
The Conservatives are expected to struggle at the next election
ANALYSIS: Polls show Conservatives in trouble across Oxfordshire
Flowers have been left the scene of the crash in Banbury
Tributes left at scene of crash that killed driver, 33

Think he might have a point here .

Impossible to know without any knowledge of the cause of the accidents, the speed anyone was travelling or conditions of the road etc.

Lower speed limits and safer neighbourhood traffic schemes may have made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Although the wider point is that on one hand Mr Middleton is campaigning for permanent measures to reduce traffic usage in other areas whilst campaigning against temporary measures in his own community on the grounds of inconvenience to car users.

This is the level of hypocrisy the guy deals in, let alone the shameful way in which he uses the death or serious injury of people in Banbury or on the M40 for political gain.

So as of tomorrow (Tuesday), it will be two weeks since that 'update' from Tim...

"The coming weeks will see the release of further details of the updates we’ve made to our plans following significant public consultation."

A couple of weeks to the average Joe normally means two, so fully expect some actual news on the stadium front over the next 48 hours, either that or complete and utter silence for a further few weeks until Tim Chris W can muster the energy to communicate to his customers.

No but money would be going to a football league rival and we would have less money ourselves as we are going to get very low crowds outside of the county.

I am pretty certain it’s better to hold our noses and give Kassam a few more quid than come over all moral 25 years to late, not certain under what metric a groundshare outside the county is better than staying at the Kassam for one more year?
Couldn’t agree less. First, you underestimate the high proportion of fans who live outside of the county and attend matches; Second, despite the lies being spun by FOSB ably assisted by the Oxford Fail, there is no reason to suppose that, even if we wanted to, Kassam would agree. It was he after all who used covid as the reason to cancel our licence agreement under the Force Majeure provisions. Third, we wouldn’t have less money ourselves because even if a deal could be struck with Kassam which I doubt, it would come at an outrageously high cost.
In my view a ground share at the MK stadium for the hopefully short period this would be required, is the best option as with East/West rail between Oxford and Bletchley then in operation, for many fans from in or outside the county it would be infinitely easier to get there than the Kassam even if that were an option.
What, however, is becoming clearer by the day is that starting the 2026/7 season in the new stadium might not happen and the Club now need to act quickly to cover this contingency.

Couldn’t agree less. First, you underestimate the high proportion of fans who live outside of the county and attend matches; Second, despite the lies being spun by FOSB ably assisted by the Oxford Fail, there is no reason to suppose that, even if we wanted to, Kassam would agree. It was he after all who used covid as the reason to cancel our licence agreement under the Force Majeure provisions. Third, we wouldn’t have less money ourselves because even if a deal could be struck with Kassam which I doubt, it would come at an outrageously high cost.
In my view a ground share at the MK stadium for the hopefully short period this would be required, is the best option as with East/West rail between Oxford and Bletchley then in operation, for many fans from in or outside the county it would be infinitely easier to get there than the Kassam even if that were an option.
What, however, is becoming clearer by the day is that starting the 2026/7 season in the new stadium might not happen and the Club now need to act quickly to cover this contingency.

I live outside Oxfordshire, doesn’t mean I in any way want to see us play home games outside of it, part of the pleasure of home games for me is going home to Oxford. I won’t be able to afford to get a season ticket to see us play at MK Dons, not that I am that bothered as watching us play there in front of 3000 home fans holds very little appeal.

Has any club ever moved to a different county and not seen a drop off in crowds?

If you live in the majority of Oxfordshire it’s not easier to get to Milton Keynes than the Kassam is it? That’s a bit of a mental thing to say.

The clubs will have contingencies in place, however I wouldn't expect these to be disclosed just yet. It weakens our position to say that we have no where to play from August 2026 and then give a number of options where we can actually play.

"The coming weeks" not a couple of weeks.
To me the significant sentence in Tim's update was "The submission of our planning application, along with the release of further details on the updates we’ve made to our plans, will follow in due course."

The words "in due course" conveyed the impression that nothing was going to happen particularly quickly.

If and when a firm date is given for a fans forum in which board members will be present you can be sure planning will be in by that date.

No way will Tim and Grant face the great unwashed unless there’s an element of good news to report at a fans forum.

This is what Oxvox had to say in their up date on January 12th.

We are in ongoing discussions with Adam Benson about the overdue Fans Forum, but ensuring the right people are there to answer your questions is as important as getting a date booked in. We are pleased to say that we now have agreement and a date and venue are being arranged. We are working closely with OUSP on this. It will be at the end of February or early March as this fits in with Grant Ferguson’s schedule. Barring travel issues or emergencies he and Tim Williams (and others to be confirmed) will be at the forum. We will pass on full details as soon as we are able.

So there you are, I’d be surprised if planning is going in anytime soon, certainly not this month. We won’t be playing football at the Triangle in 2026.

Last edited:

Would be 1 hr and 22 mins for me, 54 miles.

No chance I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom