New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

What was your question?
It was more a proposal, than a question.

I suggested that the first row of seats at the stadium was about 1m/1.2m above pitch level. This would give front row seats a more elevated view and help with atmosphere as it would give the impression of the fans being on top of the players. It would also mean that larger LED perimeter advertising boards could be used, which would surely make them easier to sell, thereby potentially increasing revenue. Most interesting though, and the bit I'm not sure they fully understood, was that it would mean that under the stands head height would be reached about 2m earlier. This means the usable space would increase by approx 800 sq m, or 8,000 sq ft without increasing the footprint, on what is a tight site. I gave an example of possible rental income for this amount of space being in the region of £200,000 per annum. It could also equate to about 20 extra hotel rooms, which would yield an even greater income.

An absolute load of nonsense that article. Of course the Fail have published it
On the call last night, they didn't seem that worried about the road issue.
All of the work seems to be to make the time the road us closed to be the minimum possible ( and it was made clear that emergency vehicles WOULD be able to still go along the road)
The bridge sounds to be not a possibility.
Speaking to other supporters, it does seem as if short closures are the norm.for many games in different parts of the Country.

On the call last night, they didn't seem that worried about the road issue.
All of the work seems to be to make the time the road us closed to be the minimum possible ( and it was made clear that emergency vehicles WOULD be able to still go along the road)
The bridge sounds to be not a possibility.
Speaking to other supporters, it does seem as if short closures are the norm.for many games in different parts of the Country.
Think they said it last night the road closures are not up to Oufc but others will make that decision

It was more a proposal, than a question.

I suggested that the first row of seats at the stadium was about 1m/1.2m above pitch level. This would give front row seats a more elevated view and help with atmosphere as it would give the impression of the fans being on top of the players. It would also mean that larger LED perimeter advertising boards could be used, which would surely make them easier to sell, thereby potentially increasing revenue. Most interesting though, and the bit I'm not sure they fully understood, was that it would mean that under the stands head height would be reached about 2m earlier. This means the usable space would increase by approx 800 sq m, or 8,000 sq ft without increasing the footprint, on what is a tight site. I gave an example of possible rental income for this amount of space being in the region of £200,000 per annum. It could also equate to about 20 extra hotel rooms, which would yield an even greater income.
It was all treated with a little too much levity for my liking. I'm sure that was not the intention but, a serious and well thought through question was posed with the benefits explained. I do hope it is not a case whereby our, as in us fans, input is deemed to be restricted to the low-brow stuff such as which beer to serve.

Essentially, "We don't want scummy football fans to be safe, their lives are worth less than ours"

Can anyone pen a good response to that letter to send I emailed him nearly two weeks ago, pointing out his ‘massive detour’ was, in fact,

Essentially, "We don't want scummy football fans to be safe, their lives are worth less than ours"

Can anyone pen a good response to that letter to send i

Think they said it last night the road closures are not up to Oufc but others will make that decision
It will be up to the police and the Highways Agency.

Not impressed with that article as a very key point isn't mentioned and something the Councillors should be aware of, including Councillor Levy, that it won't be the club's decision anyway.

It will be the Highway Authorities etc decision although we may have to contribute to their recommendations. We can't just unilaterally decide to build a bridge on somebody else's land. Not to mention this is poor journalism for me.

Also, no mention that emergency vehicles will have access.

Away at the moment overseas, so just catching up on all of this
Couldn’t get to see the meeting so thanks @unification and others

Seems to me a lot of misinformation has been spewed out and the club are keen to put it right

How far did we get with a proposal a month or so ago that we form an alternative group to FoSB.Forgive me but I can’t remember who came up with the idea
I’m sure we agree in principal it would be a good thing because Oxvox were too close to the club
Could be now is the right time delivering our own leaflets etc
Could call ourselves FoTT
Friends of the Triangle or SoTT Supporters of the Triangle
Needs someone on board who is a bit savvy with the Media to get the Truth out there

Can someone explain to me why the idea for a bridge is being dismissed?
They made clear yesterday.
Supporters would probably ignore it and go over the road which is more direct.
The only way to stop that is to put railings down the whole road both sides.
During the non football days nobody wouod use the bridge- so it would be an expensive, carbon using white elephant.
I believe that a lot of work has gone into the feasibility of this,but it isn't seen as a viable option. Plus it would need planning in green belt.
As others have said, it is not OUFCs decision and health and safety is critical

During the non football days nobody wouod use the bridge- so it would be an expensive, carbon using white elephant.
I believe that a lot of work has gone into the feasibility of this,but it isn't seen as a viable option. Plus it would need planning in green belt.
...and OUFC can't build something on 2 pockets of land that it doesn't own, so can't really go round putting bridges up all over the place.

Thanks for that

Away at the moment overseas, so just catching up on all of this
Couldn’t get to see the meeting so thanks @unification and others

Seems to me a lot of misinformation has been spewed out and the club are keen to put it right

How far did we get with a proposal a month or so ago that we form an alternative group to FoSB.Forgive me but I can’t remember who came up with the idea
I’m sure we agree in principal it would be a good thing because Oxvox were too close to the club
Could be now is the right time delivering our own leaflets etc
Could call ourselves FoTT
Friends of the Triangle or SoTT Supporters of the Triangle
Needs someone on board who is a bit savvy with the Media to get the Truth out there

We have to be really careful with well intended, but potentially misinformed campaigns. A planning application will be submitted in the next few weeks and further information will be put into the public domain then. As a fanbase we can then share this information as well as engaging in further public engagement where appropriate.

The most important thing is that we call ourselves Oxford United and leave the nonsense groups for the dwindling numbers of those opposing the stadium.

Also, I think it's a little disrespectful to suggest that OxVox (or OUSP) are too close to the club. Both continue to hold the club to account as well as representing supporters in meetings with the Project Team and others close to the stadium build. And both were behind previous leaflet drops and public engagement events.

Tim Williams has just been interviewed by Jerome on Radio Oxford. Understandably, it focussed mainly on the arrival of the Beautiful One, but the stadium was mentioned, too. He was positive and said that the application for planning will be submitted in the next few weeks (old news). Additionally, he mentioned a meeting with OCC which took place a couple of days back. He was positive about the outcome of that meeting and said that the relationship with OCC was good, albeit adversarial at times, which he welcomed as OUFC needed to get it right.

I’d say our Chief Exec was very upbeat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom