New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Provision for our older and less abled fans is of course an important thing to get right. The solution could be something like a small fleet of these...

View attachment 16221

Electric, and would be suitable to use in a closed-off road situation. Would this solve your issue? 5 or 6 decked out in club livery would look pretty cool. Probably worth mentioning to the supporter's group or OxVox as we move forwards.
One of the planning team actually suggested golf buggy style transport so you're not far off the mark!

Whilst I agree with those who say closing a road for a few hours on matchday will not overly inconvenience the residents of Kidlington, it is very easy for us to say that, I would hope the club recognise we need as few barriers as possible to allow the locals to support it, coming up with a better solution to move fans is a significant one in my mind.

You'd think that an underpass under the Oxford Road would be possible which would take fans to what will eventually be a new housing estate, from there you possibly could take fans over the A34 and use the existing rail line bridge to get to the other platform.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 11.37.16.png

How dare he. Since moving up here I've been pleasantly surprised by how many Oxford fans there are up here.

A bit disappointed to see that, under current arrangements I'd need to train it into Oxford first and then change to get up Oxford Parkway.

Does anyone know whether there would be plans for a football special?

How dare he. Since moving up here I've been pleasantly surprised by how many Oxford fans there are up here.

A bit disappointed to see that, under current arrangements I'd need to train it into Oxford first and then change to get up Oxford Parkway.

Damn right, we don't need you Banbury-types coming through Bicester and using the large choice of pubs and restaurants here before a 10min train to the game...

Whilst I agree with those who say closing a road for a few hours on matchday will not overly inconvenience the residents of Kidlington, it is very easy for us to say that, I would hope the club recognise we need as few barriers as possible to allow the locals to support it, coming up with a better solution to move fans is a significant one in my mind.

You'd think that an underpass under the Oxford Road would be possible which would take fans to what will eventually be a new housing estate, from there you possibly could take fans over the A34 and use the existing rail line bridge to get to the other platform.

View attachment 16224

How much do you think an underpass will cost? How many years of our relatively modest income will it take to pay off just this underpass? Who owns the land where this underpass is going to be built? How much upheaval will building it cause? We have no permission to be build an underpass on this land so that is years of more planning etc.

I think those who are saying just build an underpass or bridge are massively oversimplifying it, we have been given, planning permission permitting, a piece of land to build a football stadium on, nothing has been said about digging tunnels from that bit of land to other bits of land, its just not that easy.

How much do you think an underpass will cost? How many years of our relatively modest income will it take to pay off just this underpass? Who owns the land where this underpass is going to be built? How much upheaval will building it cause? We have no permission to be build an underpass on this land so that is years of more planning etc.

I think those who are saying just build an underpass or bridge are massively oversimplifying it, we have been given, planning permission permitting, a piece of land to build a football stadium on, nothing has been said about digging tunnels from that bit of land to other bits of land, its just not that easy.
Of course it isn’t.

But we’ve got one chance to get that planning permission, and right now the road closures are causing some local people to be very unhappy.

Will it cause us to fail? Who knows, but if we can’t solve the issue through bridges/underpasses etc., I think the club will have to be very clear on why not and how they will work to mitigate disruption. I fear that ‘cost’ will be very unpalatable to many.

Hopefully it'll be possible to get to Oxford Parkway via Bicester North without having to get to Bicester Village, I think the track allows it but it's just not a service offered currently I think.

Hopefully it'll be possible to get to Oxford Parkway via Bicester North without having to get to Bicester Village, I think the track allows it but it's just not a service offered currently I think.
No, the track doesn't allow it, the only way from Bicester Village is towards London, the track doesn't curve northwards. If you wanted to connect northwards, you'd have to demolish Wickes to find the space.

As it stands track-wise, the only way it could work is for a train to leave Bicester North going southbound, go over Charbridge Lane and then come back on itself and go on the curve onto the Bicester Village line. I can’t see Chiltern offering such a service, but I could be wrong.

Just tell everyone it's needed for the southern leg of HS2, and it'll be finished in no time.

Actually, if that land is going to be housing, then the justification increases, whether they want access to the stadium or a wildflower hunt

As it stands track-wise, the only way it could work is for a train to leave Bicester North going southbound, go over Charbridge Lane and then come back on itself and go on the curve onto the Bicester Village line. I can’t see Chiltern offering such a service, but I could be wrong.
We'll probably end up with a good number of norther away fans walking through Bicester town on a Saturday as they change over. Could be good for business at a time that is typically quiet

Of course it isn’t.

But we’ve got one chance to get that planning permission, and right now the road closures are causing some local people to be very unhappy.

Will it cause us to fail? Who knows, but if we can’t solve the issue through bridges/underpasses etc., I think the club will have to be very clear on why not and how they will work to mitigate disruption. I fear that ‘cost’ will be very unpalatable to many.

How long would that road have to be shut for to do the underpass? When you look at the combined hours over a season you would need to close the road for it will add up to about 50, so just over two days but spread over an entire year so easily negotiable if you have some common sense. Shut the road to build an underpass for a month (it will be longer than that most likely) that's about 750 hours, so about 15 seasons worth of road closure if all goes well. If they don't like the idea of a road being closed for a brief window (that sports stadiums across the country manage to do) then they will love that.

Just tell everyone it's needed for the southern leg of HS2, and it'll be finished in no time.

Actually, if that land is going to be housing, then the justification increases, whether they want access to the stadium or a wildflower hunt

I actually think that is the only chance of an underpass being built, in conjunction with the housing project, just for the football stadium it doesn't really make sense.

Bicester Village run shuttle buses from Bicester North to Bicester Village, so if you don’t fancy a drink and something to eat in Bicester just hop on one of them.

Back
Top Bottom