New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

I could read it :) ...

I went to the exhibition today, really just boards of the images in the pdf available online... but better resolution so you can actually read the writing on the floor plans.

Had a bit of a chat with a guy from AFL about a few specifics relating to the current assumptions on the stadium design....

1. Home supporters behind both goals.
2. Away support in the South East corner (not behind the goal) with possibility of extending along east side, match dependant.
3. Rail seating behind goal at North side, possibly all of that stand including the corners. Maybe less - position dependant on sight lines.
4. Rail seating for some area of away support.
5. Potential to increase capacity would be on the south and east sides.
6. Pitch will be at current ground level and not lower due to ground conditions and water table level. And, of course, will have undersoil heating.
7. Roof will be of the ' floating' type with an air gap to the stands, although there is a possibility this may be filled in with transparent material.
8. Two scoreboards. One in northeast corner (as seen in online image) and the other in the opposite corner.

Also, lots of chatter on the road closure/footbridges etc, but nothing fixed on this yet and is highways agency/Council dependant.
Please can everybody bombard the club with this request. Anti-pigeon netting a priority.

Secondly, I think we have to be careful how we respond to concerns raised from now on.

Previously, it has mainly been fosb and their myriad of contrived objections, which could generally be dismissed as irrelevant or self serving.

Now, however I'm not sure the same blanket dismissive approach is as appropriate anymore .

Concerns over parking, access, and road closures are real (if not wholly surmountable) to a lot more people now more meat is being put on the bones of the plan, and should be dealt with more respectfully and not in a glib 'like it or lump it, go another route ' way

Most non-football locals will probably be okay as long as they do not feel they are being inconvenienced. We need to show that we are taking that seriously and show that we are trying to minimise any disruption to their lives, otherwise we risk a growing tide of resentment which may sway opinion among the decision makers.

I'm sure the club have all this in hand, we just need to ensure we follow suit

Thirdly, regarding foot traffic between the ground and parkway...

...I wonder whether there is potential to filter people over the current road bridge, by fencing off the normal northbound lane to leave one lane each way.... then put in a spiral ramp and underpass which will come out right next to the station building .

This should enable the road to remain open to traffic at all times, particularly if people can be prevented from trying to cross the road itself by barriers/stewards

Secondly, I think we have to be careful how we respond to concerns raised from now on.

Previously, it has mainly been fosb and their myriad of contrived objections, which could generally be dismissed as irrelevant or self serving.

Now, however I'm not sure the same blanket dismissive approach is as appropriate anymore .

Concerns over parking, access, and road closures are real (if not wholly surmountable) to a lot more people now more meat is being put on the bones of the plan, and should be dealt with more respectfully and not in a glib 'like it or lump it, go another route ' way

Most non-football locals will probably be okay as long as they do not feel they are being inconvenienced. We need to show that we are taking that seriously and show that we are trying to minimise any disruption to their lives, otherwise we risk a growing tide of resentment which may sway opinion among the decision makers.

I'm sure the club have all this in hand, we just need to ensure we follow suit
This is a really good point. We shouldn’t tar all opposition groups with the same brush. Some objections will be fair enough and we should strike the right tone of seeking compromise where appropriate and be well mannered. Having said that all the ladies and gents on here seem to be well on board with that

Mrs L and myself went to the exhibition this afternoon and spent quite a bit of time talking to several people including one of the architects and one of the traffic planners. What came across as being essential from everyone we spoke to was, feedback. They want feedback from everyone. If you have an idea, a thought, a worry, a "what if we did so and so" scenario, send it in. Get onto the website and send them feedback.
We discovered a few areas that hadn't been 100% thought through and others that required input from the club. However, what was absolutely clear was that the folks doing all the designs, plans etc want to hear from us, the supporters.

Thirdly, regarding foot traffic between the ground and parkway...

...I wonder whether there is potential to filter people over the current road bridge, by fencing off the normal northbound lane to leave one lane each way.... then put in a spiral ramp and underpass which will come out right next to the station building .

This should enable the road to remain open to traffic at all times, particularly if people can be prevented from trying to cross the road itself by barriers/stewards
If it was something along those lines wouldn't it be better to put the crossing/underpass at the stadium end and temporarily close off the bus lane?

Beneficial in two ways, as the current north and south carriageways can remain as they are, plus everyone coming out of the stadium (when crowds are greatest) is on the correct side of the road immediately, so not having people trying to cross the road all along it.

Last edited:
3. Rail seating behind goal at North side, possibly all of that stand including the corners. Maybe less - position dependant on sight lines.
This confuses me a bit though, the roof is much higher on that end due to the hotel, also the stand is smaller looking at the floor plans. Will be a lot harder to create an atmosphere behind the north goal than south goal. The away fans will be able to create more noise than the home fans due to the roof design. I get that the north stand will house most of the commercial space so will inevitably be a home end. But the standing section should be where it will be able to create the most noise.

This confuses me a bit though, the roof is much higher on that end due to the hotel, also the stand is smaller looking at the floor plans. Will be a lot harder to create an atmosphere behind the north goal than south goal. The away fans will be able to create more noise than the home fans due to the roof design. I get that the north stand will house most of the commercial space so will inevitably be a home end. But the standing section should be where it will be able to create the most noise.
Yes I thought this earlier when looking again at the designs. We want the standing end to go as far up to the back of the roof as much as possible to create a better atmosphere. But the north stand seems to have a big gap between the fans and roof because of the hotel rooms/boxes which I don’t think would be ideal

I did point out to the AFL guy that this stand should be the tallest as its where the atmosphere will mostly be generated. I've also put it on the feedback form. Suggest others do the same.

I did point out to the AFL guy that this stand should be the tallest as its where the atmosphere will mostly he generated. I've also put it on the feedback form. Suggest others do the same.
Will complete the form again asking for this. Would much prefer a bigger stand behind the goal than extra view for some hotel users. Sure there must be a way to set the hotel further back on that end to allow the stand to go higher.

Will complete the form again asking for this. Would much prefer a bigger stand behind the goal than extra view for some hotel users. Sure there must be a way to set the hotel further back on that end to allow the stand to go higher.
The hotel rooms will have the possibility to be flipped to be match viewing boxes on match days, so doubt they will move them.

I also suggested whether some of the hotel rooms can be moved to be above the sky boxes, but this was a no as the hotel apparently needs a vertical separation from the boxes and hospitality area.

Attachments

• hdr_1697145757649.jpg
    hdr_1697145757649.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 25
There will be home fans at both ends.

I hope it is home fans behind both goals, I quite like watching the game from behind the goal but not sure I want to stand up for every home game.

Agree with others that the standing/singing section needs to be the opposite end of the hotel to maximise the atmosphere created.

I also hope they fill in the gaps between the stands ending and the roof starting. Stadium Mk is similar and when the wind blows through its as cold as the Kassam.

Just send the below to newstadium@oufc.co.uk

Hi stadium team,

Absolutely love the new stadium plans, it's everything I have dreamed about!

I have a suggestion for where the home safe standing area should be and for where the away fans should be located.

Due to the higher roof and smaller stand, the home safe standing area should be at the south stand behind the goal. This will allow for maximum noise to be generated due to the low roof here.

Also the away supporters could/should be located as close to the halfway line on the east stand. This will allow for OUFC to have the "shooting towards their own fans" advantage for the whole 90 minutes.

I have attached a rough mockup based on the floor plans. The yellow and blue area is where I believe the home safe standing should be. And red area is the away fans.

Another suggestion would be to make the number of blocks behind the goal 4 or 6 instead of the 5 shown. This will allow for OUFC letters in the seats, and to allow for a clear distinction between the left side and right side for the famous old song! Same for on the east stand, it should be 6 or 8 instead of 7 to allow for OXFORD.

I already completed the consultation survey but this popped into my head and thought it would be worth sharing.

We as supporters want this to be 100% perfect and a proper home for the club. This means making every tiny detail as good as it can be to boost the experience and atmosphere.

Best regards

There will be home fans at

Just send the below to newstadium@oufc.co.uk

Hi stadium team,

Absolutely love the new stadium plans, it's everything I have dreamed about!

I have a suggestion for where the home safe standing area should be and for where the away fans should be located.

Due to the higher roof and smaller stand, the home safe standing area should be at the south stand behind the goal. This will allow for maximum noise to be generated due to the low roof here.

Also the away supporters could/should be located as close to the halfway line on the east stand. This will allow for OUFC to have the "shooting towards their own fans" advantage for the whole 90 minutes.

I have attached a rough mockup based on the floor plans. The yellow and blue area is where I believe the home safe standing should be. And red area is the away fans.

Another suggestion would be to make the number of blocks behind the goal 4 or 6 instead of the 5 shown. This will allow for OUFC letters in the seats, and to allow for a clear distinction between the left side and right side for the famous old song! Same for on the east stand, it should be 6 or 8 instead of 7 to allow for OXFORD.

I already completed the consultation survey but this popped into my head and thought it would be worth sharing.

We as supporters want this to be 100% perfect and a proper home for the club. This means making every tiny detail as good as it can be to boost the experience and atmosphere.

Best regards
Away fans in a corner is the best place to keep them away from the action.
Also not sure you want to be giving them the best seats in the stadium from a viewing point.

Away fans in a corner is the best place to keep them away from the action.
Also not sure you want to be giving them the best seats in the stadium from a viewing point.

Spot on.

In the corner - and specifically either south-east or north-west.

I've said it before, but not behind the goal and, crucially, on a side that doesn't (typically) have a linesman in front of them.

We currently give away fans a lino in front of them - and I reckon that has an affect on decisions we get at the fence end.

Put away fans in the corner, unable to influence, away from officials. These small factors can make all the difference.

There will be away fans. They may well add to the atmosphere. They may impact proceedings.

But we don't need to encourage it.

It's our home.

Back
Top Bottom