New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Interesting that you mention the it would not disrupt the traffic flow down the Oxford Rd. anyone who knows the Oxford Road from Sainsbury’s to the High Street can tell you how many sets of pedestrian lights are within that stretch . 7
And 40, 30 and 20mph speed limits within about a mile and a half on the same stretch of road.

In its submissions, the club did say that it would not disrupt the flow of traffic down the Oxford Road. That is why OCC have promised the four parishes that they will not proceed with the lease if we do.
IIRC, the County Council stated if would not condone any proposals for the closure of Oxford Road by the club.

Those initial suggestions have been addressed in the submitted plans with the club now saying that match day marshaling for both motorised & pedestrian traffic along it's length will allow full access for buses and emergency vehicles to be maintained.

If the club is no longer advocating any full closure of Oxford Road, the Council can sign the lease without breaking it's word to the parishes.

IIRC, the County Council stated if would not condone any proposals for the closure of Oxford Road by the club.

Those initial suggestions have been addressed in the submitted plans with the club now saying that match day marshaling for both motorised & pedestrian traffic along it's length will allow full access for buses and emergency vehicles to be maintained.

If the club is no longer advocating any full closure of Oxford Road, the Council can sign the lease without breaking its word to the parishes.
That’s not true, I’m afraid.

Here is the relevant section:

The County Council cabinet has required OUFC, before the lease of the Triangle site is finally agreed, to produce detailed plans that include the following:
e) Develop new pedestrian and cycle entrances and routes to improve accessibility, including a new pedestrian route across the Oxford Road, such as a footbridge, that improves pedestrian and cyclist access to the site from Oxford Parkway railway station and the Park & Ride without disrupting vehicle movements on the Oxford Road.
We call on the County Council to stand by this position, and take steps to ensure that the plans for the stadium do not go ahead in their current form.

Robey wrote on behalf of the 4 councils to Liz Lefferman to clarify that OCC would be sticking to that position. She replied with an unequivocal ‘yes’

Unfortunately, as much as we want to believe otherwise, the current proposals, without a footbridge, do not meet the conditions set down by OCC.

It was not. But not disrupting the flow of traffic on the Oxford Road was.

I’m becoming convinced that many fans believe that if we keep just saying it isn’t necessary that OCC will just agree.

The third of the conditions is this:

• The club must provide details of how it will meet the commitments made in its submissions to the county council so far.
It is that condition that is the issue. In its submissions, the club did say that it would not disrupt the flow of traffic down the Oxford Road. That is why OCC have promised the four parishes that they will not proceed with the lease if we do.

I’m not making it up, fellas.
Build it then. Another planning application to get behind.

Build it then. Another planning application to get behind.
Please approve the building of a footbridge over the Oxford Road. For footbridge enthusiasts like myself this will be an excellent addition to the local community and allow fellow enthusiasts to stand on the bridge and count the different colours of cars that travel underneath. This will be a particularly enjoyable activity on the 340 days of the year when nobody has any need to use the bridge. The bridge will also be a huge benefit to those who struggle with the basics of crossing standard roads.

Please approve the building of a footbridge over the Oxford Road. For footbridge enthusiasts like myself this will be an excellent addition to the local community and allow fellow enthusiasts to stand on the bridge and count the different colours of cars that travel underneath. This will be a particularly enjoyable activity on the 340 days of the year when nobody has any need to use the bridge. The bridge will also be a huge benefit to those who struggle with the basics of crossing standard roads.

Ridiculous isn't it?

But if OCC can forgive an error and accept plans for a project of this size may change and insist on the bridge then so be it.

However I believe the 5 crossings and marshalls will solve the not affecting travel movements issue. One to add into the supportive comments.

Last edited:
Ridiculous isn't it?

But if OCC can forgive an error and accept plans for a project of this size may change and insist on the bridge then so be it.

However I believe the 5 crossings and marshalls will solve the not affecting travel movements issue. One to add into the supportive comments.
It's completely ridiculous, a waste of money, bad for the environment and will encourage private car usage.

Progressive Alliance my a**e.

33000 at Wembley and only 404 can be arsed to spend 5 minutes for our future.

Football fans like going to football matches, we don't like engaging with local politics as much.

I'm aware that a few people I've spoken don't like the fact full names and addresses are publicly visible so that has put them off.

Back
Top Bottom