General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty do unfortunately and some with the benefit of pro bono legal advice/representation. Sadly, there is plenty of decision-making precedent showing that to be the case. Indeed, Richard Buxton, who we had to fight off when acting on the original Fulham Football Stadium redevelopment in the late 90’s/early noughties when I was acting on that project, has proceeded to forge a very successful career out of it.

So, respectfully, you’re delusional if you think the planning application will not generate multiple objections. However those objections can only be accorded due weight in decision-making if they are predicated on legitimate and sound material considerations that would have the effect of undermining/discrediting the integrity of the extensive technical impact assessment work undertaken by the club’s professional consultancy team in support of the proposed stadium development. So any objection predicated on supposition, conjecture and speculation would be unlikely to succeed unless supported by technically sound and reasoned argument. Our biggest challenge will be winning the Green Belt argument. Complacency simply breeds failure and we absolutely must remain determined to fight our cause for this club and ensure that its future livelihood is secured for us and future generations. Having followed this thread with interest, the passion and vested interest shown by the regular posters on here, which is perfectly exemplified by the ongoing initiatives aimed at securing support from the wider football community, is absolutely magnificent and it’s what sets our fans apart from others. So we cannot step off the pedal until we have the planning permission secured and the threat of legal challenge (which would need to be brought within 6 weeks of a decision) has subsided.

A couple of excellent posts recently that explain the planning process for those of us trying to pick things up as we go.

Thank you.

Plenty do unfortunately and some with the benefit of pro bono legal advice/representation. Sadly, there is plenty of decision-making precedent showing that to be the case. Indeed, Richard Buxton, who we had to fight off when acting on the original Fulham Football Stadium redevelopment in the late 90’s/early noughties when I was acting on that project, has proceeded to forge a very successful career out of it.

So, respectfully, you’re delusional if you think the planning application will not generate multiple objections. However those objections can only be accorded due weight in decision-making if they are predicated on legitimate and sound material considerations that would have the effect of undermining/discrediting the integrity of the extensive technical impact assessment work undertaken by the club’s professional consultancy team in support of the proposed stadium development. So any objection predicated on supposition, conjecture and speculation would be unlikely to succeed unless supported by technically sound and reasoned argument. Our biggest challenge will be winning the Green Belt argument. Complacency simply breeds failure and we absolutely must remain determined to fight our cause for this club and ensure that its future livelihood is secured for us and future generations. Having followed this thread with interest, the passion and vested interest shown by the regular posters on here, which is perfectly exemplified by the ongoing initiatives aimed at securing support from the wider football community, is absolutely magnificent and it’s what sets our fans apart from others. So we cannot step off the pedal until we have the planning permission secured and the threat of legal challenge (which would need to be brought within 6 weeks of a decision) has subsided.

As said above, great input, many thanks.

Well said

Thank you for the kind acknowledgements. One more point, and apologies if it falls into the category of teaching one’s granny to suck eggs, but when the application finally lands and goes out to public consultation, it is imperative that we all take the opportunity of submitting written representations to CDC in support of the proposed development. Unfortunately, planning process can often be sullied by the vocal minority and so we will need to counter that by raising our own louder voice and avoiding the temptation of taking a back seat and naively assuming (as a few might perhaps) that it’s a done deal and there is simply no point/need in expressing our firm support in writing. When the officer report on the application does get finalised for planning committee, I would want to see a reference within it to a numerically larger number of people/groups supporting the application than in objection.

Thank you for the kind acknowledgements. One more point, and apologies if it falls into the category of teaching one’s granny to suck eggs, but when the application finally lands and goes out to public consultation, it is imperative that we all take the opportunity of submitting written representations to CDC in support of the proposed development. Unfortunately, planning process can often be sullied by the vocal minority and so we will need to counter that by raising our own louder voice and avoiding the temptation of taking a back seat and naively assuming (as a few might perhaps) that it’s a done deal and there is simply no point/need in expressing our firm support in writing. When the officer report on the application does get finalised for planning committee, I would want to see a reference within it to a numerically larger number of people/groups supporting the application than in objection.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure there may be a bit of apathy towards ANOTHER consultation after two and a poll already but its important we do take part IF it gets that far.

Finally allowed in to the Bournemouth forum. 90 views, and two likes within a few hours. I posted a reply to the two who had liked the post, saying that I'm glad that they liked, and hoped that they also responded. It was another opportunity to get the original post a bit higher up the listing.

You’re absolutely spot on - glad to have such a well-informed and articulate poster on here.

From the Bournemouth forum:

I am still scarred by losing 3-0 on Boxing Day 21 years ago, with one of our players (Marcus Browning) getting himself sent off. So the sooner you move to a new ground the better :)

Light hearted comments aside, we all know how most football clubs are vulnerable to spurious investors, get rich quick property schemes, half hearted Council support, strident Nimbies etc. A local football club is a strong community asset and finding a way to make clubs financially sustainable and utilised more than twenty times a year is very important. So I will look through the material and I’d encourage others to do the same.

and

Used to love the Manor Ground.

Good luck.

From the Bournemouth forum:

I am still scarred by losing 3-0 on Boxing Day 21 years ago, with one of our players (Marcus Browning) getting himself sent off. So the sooner you move to a new ground the better :)

Light hearted comments aside, we all know how most football clubs are vulnerable to spurious investors, get rich quick property schemes, half hearted Council support, strident Nimbies etc. A local football club is a strong community asset and finding a way to make clubs financially sustainable and utilised more than twenty times a year is very important. So I will look through the material and I’d encourage others to do the same.

and

Used to love the Manor Ground.

Good luck.

That all sounds very familiar...

Credit to them reading the information, we want the responses to be fully informed, genuine and valid.

The latest position on my survey requests to other clubs.

Leeds lots of views but only 3 confirmed responses.

Ipswich similarly lots of views but so far 9 responders have said they’ve helped us by completing the survey.

I’ve posted reminders on both sites this morning to try and lift the profile back to near the top of their thread pages.

The latest position on my survey requests to other clubs.

Leeds lots of views but only 3 confirmed responses.

Ipswich similarly lots of views but so far 9 responders have said they’ve helped us by completing the survey.

I’ve posted reminders on both sites this morning to try and lift the profile back to near the top of their thread pages.

I reply to everyone on the Bournemouth site who posts a message; that way, not only am I showing that I'm very much engaged in the process, but it also has the benefit of pushing the original post to the top of the messages. That might help get more people to respond.

The latest from that site:

One of my Old Uni mates follows OU. I didn't realise the peril you were in. Thanks for the heads up. Will do what I can.

Done !! All the best !!

I reply to everyone on the Bournemouth site who posts a message; that way, not only am I showing that I'm very much engaged in the process, but it also has the benefit of pushing the original post to the top of the messages. That might help get more people to respond.

The latest from that site:

Done !! All the best !!
I do the same, always say how much I appreciate their help and support and engage in banter with those who ridicule the 3 sided “shed” and shocking car park access.

Had 3 more respond from Ipswich today so up to 12 from them now, really decent effort

Had a good few more responses from the Wrexham lot, a good bunch up there.

Does anyone recall anyone from this post by one of the posters on their forum? I can't imagine for a second that Mr Kassam would attend the funeral of a fan, not unless he stood to gain from it.
Thanks for the best wishes Oxfordfan, yes I’ll have a look the consultation website. I visited Kassam stadium as a Wrexhamfc fan possibly the season you got back into the league or one before.

As an aside did you know of the link between Wrexhamfc fans and the Kassam stadium. My buddy as a teenager John Evans ( some here may have known him from Bwlchgwyn and Bromfield) after early years at the Cae Râs- selling programmes with me in the 70s - John eventually ended up in Oxford and I think working in IT for city council ( I think ?) and supporting Oxford. Sadly we lost John to cancer maybe 10+ years ago too early in his 50s.
It was only at his funeral in Oxford I heard that he was active in Oxford United supporters trust or similar and I’d heard that he was instrumental in organising meetings and perhaps getting the council on board as the club sought to find a new home after the Manor Ground. I only found this as chatting with someone from the supporters trust at the wake, in fact I was told the the chap sat behind me at funeral was Mr Kassam . I managed to post something on the Oxford fans forum website chat afterwards and had replies- I think John’s forum name was something like?snakebite ? . It would be interesting mr Oxfordfan if you or your buddies have any memories?
Good luck in your quest for your new stadium

Does anyone recall anyone from this post by one of the posters on their forum? I can't imagine for a second that Mr Kassam would attend the funeral of a fan, not unless he stood to gain from it.
Yep. Kassam attended Snake’s funeral. He respected him despite their many differences and run-ins.

2 weeks to go in the survey. If you know someone who doesn't do online forms but wants to complete the survey OCC can send printed copies of the information and survey, with a Freepost address for returning it. See image for details.Screenshot_20230708_214602_Docs.jpg

A Monday morning update (the first since Thursday last week) on engaging with EFL away fans via their forums below. Not all have been successful in getting past pesky Admins, but I'm keeping them on the list to avoid others wasting their time on Forums which aren't accepting away fan posts currently.

For anyone wishing to follow-up on previous posts (aside from responding to individual questions/saying thanks etc) to avoid looking like we're spamming, the suggestion is that this takes place this weekend, quotes your previous message, and simply says something like the following:

"Just giving this a bump as it is now one week until the Survey closes on 23 July. Thank you if you have already filled in the survey to help ensure Oxford United isn't homeless from 2026 and can instead offer a new ground which is easy to access via public transport, offers modern facilities, and will ensure a better atmosphere for both home and away fans. The survey and more information can still be found here: https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/stadium-land-use-negotiations Thank you."​

As always, details of a template bit of wording and what we’re asking fans to do here: https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/new-stadium-plans-the-triangle.8852/post-712779

Championship
League One

League Two
Others

Last edited:

Yes, not simply because he was a fan but more that they'd collaborated a lot. I know his family but never knew him

Nothing from Wycombe, I’m afraid. Probably no great loss overall.

Mark me down for Bradford City though. I’ll give them a go since they have a reasonable size fanbase.
Great, thanks. Have retrospectively added that one in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom