General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My summary of the meeting was that the club and OCC are talking (I know this as fact) and will continue to do so, so that the club can provide OCC with a detailed submission relevant to The Triangle. This is necessary, as previously the club were looking at the whole SB site, and have to refine the scheme for The Triangle. This won't be a planning application, but a detailed proposal of what will go on the site. Once that is done OCC will have enough detail to make an informed decision to (hopefully/presumably) proceed.

What I don't understand is why McIvor (who is not a councillor) gets to speak? Both she and Middleton were their normal negative selves, and it was good to see their attempt at hi-jacking the process denied.

There is going to be some form of further "engagement" though, although it won't be McIvor's request of one and a half mile radius (so as to include North Oxford!) and won't exclude football fans.

My summary of the meeting was that the club and OCC are talking (I know this as fact) and will continue to do so, so that the club can provide OCC with a detailed submission relevant to The Triangle. This is necessary, as previously the club were looking at the whole SB site, and have to refine the scheme for The Triangle. This won't be a planning application, but a detailed proposal of what will go on the site. Once that is done OCC will have enough detail to make an informed decision to (hopefully/presumably) proceed.

What I don't understand is why McIvor (who is not a councillor) gets to speak? Both she and Middleton were their normal negative selves, and it was good to see their attempt at hi-jacking the process denied.

There is going to be some form of further "engagement" though, although it won't be McIvor's request of one and a half mile radius (including North Oxford!) and won't exclude football fans.
Middleton in particular was told to retract a statement he made, which made me laugh as the look on his face was priceless. I took from what Cllr Miller said that their hadn’t been any engagement but you are probably closer to the club than me with regards to this stuff, and I guess they have to keep many things close to their chest. I get the feeling that probably the Pro’s on the council & also the club want this decision made ASAP what with all the council elections coming which could see it delayed. Let’s hope Middleton gets voted out. What a moment that would be.

There is going to be some form of further "engagement" though, although it won't be McIvor's request of one and a half mile radius (so as to include North Oxford!) and won't exclude football fans.

Anyone can ask to speak at meetings it's just that the demographic that are objecting are more au fait with the procedures of local politics as professional objectors and often have the advantage over us in that respect.

Great news that another step forward has been taken. Hopefully we'll get a club update/comment on this soon too.

Well done the council and i don’t say that often

Well she gets to speak as a member of the public, any of us could. I found the speech by Callum Miller a bit depressing, in that he was heavy on we are still Waiting for the clubs answers to OCCs criteria. This is making it very hard for us in Kidlington to counter the Middleton McIvor narrative I feel.

Middleton in particular was told to retract a statement he made, which made me laugh as the look on his face was priceless. I took from what Cllr Miller said that their hadn’t been any engagement but you are probably closer to the club than me with regards to this stuff, and I guess they have to keep many things close to their chest. I get the feeling that probably the Pro’s on the council & also the club want this decision made ASAP what with all the council elections coming which could see it delayed. Let’s hope Middleton gets voted out. What a moment that would be.
I would hope there would have been as he requested this from the day after the last meeting

I don't think anyone with a chance has been identified to stand against him for CDC yet. He's busy on the door knocking, good at campaigning I'll give him that

Well she gets to speak as a member of the public, any of us could. I found the speech by Callum Miller a bit depressing, in that he was heavy on we are still Waiting for the clubs answers to OCCs criteria. This is making it very hard for us in Kidlington to counter the Middleton McIvor narrative I feel.
Any meeting like that we should have someone from the club there to comment on things like this or to at least offer a presence. Obviously there’s no idea what goes on behind closed doors but seems like shooting yourself in the foot or an own goal in football terms, but then Middleton made himself look an idiot with his outlandish claims that decisions had already been made & when pressed on those said he would comment in private if the councillor so wished. So more bluster. I feel that will count against them in the end as I don’t feel with OCC as though Middleton has many admirers or people who like him.

I would hope there would have been as he requested this from the day after the last meeting
Colin seems to think there has been & I know he works closely with the club so I have no reason to doubt him, I wonder if it’s to do with confidentiality why Cllr Miiler can’t really say anything at all. Which is why he made the comment he did.

Just completed survey, as an exiled fan it wasn’t very well designed to capture that info until post code at the end of it..

Colin seems to think there has been & I know he works closely with the club so I have no reason to doubt him, I wonder if it’s to do with confidentiality why Cllr Miiler can’t really say anything at all. Which is why he made the comment he did.
Surely if the club and OCC are at a stage to announce a MoU, then there has been engagement? Somewhat disingenuous of Miller who, as we have already surmised, is not all that keen on the stadium.
As for McIvor, she is not going to win many friends in the cabinet by trotting out the same diatribe ad infinitum. Middleton is making a pain of himself and annoying other councillors hence the retraction request today. If he had any sense, he would bide his time and concentrate on getting his cycle paths built instead.
The Cabinet would, in my opinion, prefer to get cracking on this. They have given their consent, in principle, and any procedural delays now, just make for more time being diverted from other business.
What we need now is to get the design concept into the hands of the Cabinet and get that go ahead.

Just completed survey, as an exiled fan it wasn’t very well designed to capture that info until post code at the end of it..
I've done it too. Quite early on I had the chance to say I lived overseas. That explains hopefully my very infrequent visits to matches.

I just watched the relevant section back. Middleton comes across very poorly. He is loose with statistics, which cannot be verified but are presented as facts, and his accusations of predetermination are something that will not be taken lightly by his colleagues in cabinet. I fully expect him to have to publicly withdraw those in time.

Today is another step-forward, but the club need to get some detail into the public domain soon and ensure that it fires the imagination of not only OUFC fans but of potential users of the stadium's facilities. The vacuum that exists today is being filled by the naysayers and their accompanying apocalyptic vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom