General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oxford mail disappointing again with online headline ...absolute travesty of a local newspaper
20% say no ....that's it .

We had a poll like this in Christchurch regarding the merge of our council into a newly formed BCP council (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole). 84% of residents were against the merger. It meant nothing and a few months later we had BCP council. I personally wouldn't read too much into the poll, they are only attended by people with strong opinions. People who oppose change or have negative views are usually the majority in these polls.
I was at Christchurch quay yesterday on the way back from Bournemouth, shame it rained

Exactly the right route to follow. The club can now reach out to those 2000 odd folk and seek to understand their concerns. Yes, some of them will be typical NIMBY's and object to anything and everything, others may have genuine concerns that have, to date, not been addressed.

This is all good news and furthers the aspirations for the club and us supporters.

Essentially it's a small, indicative, non-binding vote reflecting a bit of local feeling from less than 20% of those that could even be bothered to get out and cast their ballot!
And it is about whether the parish council should support ....Not whether the voters want the stadium or not. That question wasn't asked!

I’m sorry everyone but for the first time I feel despondent about the Stadium and indeed our future.
You can see what will be going through most OCC politicians minds and that is 2000 + people have said they don’t want the stadium and they will listen to that.
I really think the amount of opposition will stop this being built. Obviously that puts our very existence in doubt.
Whatever the club say or do these 2000 people aren’t going to change their minds and if neighbouring parishes have a poll it will be even worse.
I know this is negative but it’s how I feel right now

Well done and thanks to the 928 who turned out to vote and those that helped get people out on what I imagine was a wet night in Kidlington. Considering the misinformation and propaganda by FoSB in reality this was the best result we could have hoped for, a low turnout, a considerable proportion of Yes votes and & 70% of eligible votes not worried either way. Bigger battles ahead

After this Poll result, OUFC have got a hard battle ahead to try and get this stadium built. OUFC needs to get the plans out for the public soon to see and more important the council. I'm not surprised that the people who are against the stadium have put there own spin on things as some kind of resounding victory and also Radio Oxford this morning put there own spin on it as well saying that 2/3 rds of the kidlington residents are against it even though only 30% of the local electorate voted. Also I feel that the OXVOX representative on Radio Oxford has been hangout to dry on the radio.
Really?
Do you think that the poll results make it far more difficult for the club to get the stadium built?
I would have thought that in reality the CDC will see a relatively small number of people don't want the stadium near them.
Do you think they will look at it differently?

I’m sorry everyone but for the first time I feel despondent about the Stadium and indeed our future.
You can see what will be going through most OCC politicians minds and that is 2000 + people have said they don’t want the stadium and they will listen to that.
I really think the amount of opposition will stop this being built. Obviously that puts our very existence in doubt.
Whatever the club say or do these 2000 people aren’t going to change their minds and if neighbouring parishes have a poll it will be even worse.
2000 out of, how many

So a very small %
So a very small % of the Kidlington residents can derail such a positive development?
Do you think that CDC will be swayed ( the result would be what was expected)
I would think that a hugely larger number would be against housing developments that go ahead anyway?

You do go through a rollercoaster of emotions!

Try not to worry yourself with this poll. It’s a bit of political theatre. It’s optics and not particularly important in the long run.

It was expected and doesn’t tell us anything we, or the County and CDC, won’t have already known.

Things will really ramp up in the coming weeks and months. At which point this poll will be shown as the pointless exercise it was.

Keep the faith!

Conversely, I'm thrilled. A real 80/20 battering with a turnout of over 50% and I'd be worried. As it is fewer than 21% of the electorate voted 'no'. That's not a victory of any sort. If 2,000 can derail this, nothing would ever get built.

Throw in that the land is not KPC's to grant any rights or planning over, the poll is non-binding, no formal plans are out yet and 70% of Kidlington residents did not bother to vote, why the despondency?

It's a great result for what may be seen as a 'defeat'!

This vote was nowhere near big enough to influence OCC. We need to remember that this would be a decision made by the County and for the county as a whole. The No vote will be spun as a negative for the stadium, but it still represents a fraction of a percent of the population of Oxfordshire as a whole. 5 times this number attended a dead rubber game only a few says ago. 15 times this number went to Wembley a decade ago. The support for the football club and its future far exceeds a couple of thousand who have been subjected to a campaign of fear and dishonesty from out friends and charlatan councillors.

Head up, and on we go.

You do go through a rollercoaster of emotions!

Try not to worry yourself with this poll. It’s a bit of political theatre. It’s optics and not particularly important in the long run.

It was expected and doesn’t tell us anything we, or the County and CDC, won’t have already known.

Things will really ramp up in the coming weeks and months. At which point this poll will be shown as the pointless exercise it was.

Keep the faith!

• React
Reactions: MJB
After this Poll result, OUFC have got a hard battle ahead to try and get this stadium built. OUFC needs to get the plans out for the public soon to see and more important the council. I'm not surprised that the people who are against the stadium have put there own spin on things as some kind of resounding victory and also Radio Oxford this morning put there own spin on it as well saying that 2/3 rds of the kidlington residents are against it even though only 30% of the local electorate voted. Also I feel that the OXVOX representative on Radio Oxford has been hangout to dry on the radio.
If OCC objected to the water park being built in Chesterton 3 years ago yet now that is getting built, and it had bigger opposition than this football stadium, then this poll will do nothing.

I’m fairly confident that a community football club with great transport links & great facilities for the local area will get built. Especially with the club looking to build it in an environmentally friendly way will be given the go ahead to get this stadium built. We have no other option and the councils cannot be seen to let this club die, it would be very damaging for them when they had it within their power to save it from ceasing to exist.

This vote was nowhere near big enough to influence OCC. We need to remember that this would be a decision made by the County and for the county as a whole. The No vote will be spun as a negative for the stadium, but it still represents a fraction of a percent of the population of Oxfordshire as a whole. 5 times this number attended a dead rubber game only a few says ago. 15 times this number went to Wembley a decade ago. The support for the football club and its future far exceeds a couple of thousand who have been subjected to a campaign of fear and dishonesty from out friends and charlatan councillors.

Head up, and on we go.
I listened to the woman who organised the poll and she was stating what a success it was, and how representative it was of local opinion. Her supporting evidence was a little thin to say the least, I am inclined to put my faith in those who know this kind of enterprise and have a good deal of experience. I think that the OUFC response was very measured and I can't really see how a small percentage of locals will influence things that much.
PS the peasants are revolting

The silly little poll was essentially the equivalent of one of those online petitions, that they only got a paltry number out to vote against will actually go in our favour in the long term, the county council will just see that as fairly feeble opposition that will fade away with time (let’s be honest with the age of the opposition by the time the ground is up and running it will already be a lot less).

Pretty successful night all in all, a non binding poll from an irrelevant local parish council which doesn’t even own the land got a minute turnout and only two thirds of them were nimbys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom