Ex-Staff Michael Appleton

There's no way Charlton will sack Appleton now.

They'll wait until Buckingham leaves first, have a look at the betting odds for our new manager, and then start making calls.

Some of these clubs are really so impatient, I’m surprised two week contracts aren’t given. If Wilder takes Sheffield United down I suppose he will face the sack. Appleton should get a while yet to try his new players out. If they haven’t played for a while they will need a few weeks surely

Some of these clubs are really so impatient, I’m surprised two week contracts aren’t given. If Wilder takes Sheffield United down I suppose he will face the sack. Appleton should get a while yet to try his new players out. If they haven’t played for a while they will need a few weeks surely
I think part of the reason clubs are impatient is because it feels like the gap between the leagues is just getting bigger and bigger. There's almost a 'race against the clock' to get as high up in the divisions and become stable as possible before becoming stable in higher divisions is simply not possible anymore due to finances.

In a few years time will a club like ours (for example) ever feasibly be at a point where we can compete financially with those in the Championship without a multi-billionaire coming in and throwing cash about? It is possible now, albeit very difficult, but I think many fear it will eventually become all but impossible.

The fourth week in January is literally the dumbest time to sack a manager - especially when you've been as active in the window as Charlton have (seven players in, I think?).

You've given the incumbent the opportunity to recruit new players to bolster the squad, but don't give him a chance to mould them into a team.
Meanwhile you likely won't get anyone else in before the window slums shut.....but even if you rush the new manager recruitment and do, the money's already been spent on players that the previous guy wanted.

Charlie on here (and on TV) was arrogant and sometimes insulting, but he wasn't a complete moron. I have to believe he gives him until at least the end of February to turn that ship around.

I think part of the reason clubs are impatient is because it feels like the gap between the leagues is just getting bigger and bigger. There's almost a 'race against the clock' to get as high up in the divisions and become stable as possible before becoming stable in higher divisions is simply not possible anymore due to finances.

In a few years time will a club like ours (for example) ever feasibly be at a point where we can compete financially with those in the Championship without a multi-billionaire coming in and throwing cash about? It is possible now, albeit very difficult, but I think many fear it will eventually become all but impossible.
You mention the rush for stability, when in reality, if not planned correctly,it only leads to the exact opposite.
We do have wealthy owners and I would hope that if we eventually make the championship, they would be, for a time be content to stay up and be competiting at a decent level .

I have two friends who are Charlton ST holders. They can't stand Appleton. Big rumour yesterday he'd been sacked. But turns out to be untrue. Don't think the whole 'dour Northerner' thing is going down well in Sarf East London.
First question to MustardChinos at a recent CAFC fans' forum..." Can you explain the thought process that was behind the decision to appoint a manager who's consistently failed at nearly every club he's been at". Got a big cheer, apparently.

First question to MustardChinos at a recent CAFC fans' forum..." Can you explain the thought process that was behind the decision to appoint a manager who's consistently failed at nearly every club he's been at". Got a big cheer, apparently.
It seems the CAFC fans forget that they got rid of Alan Curbishly when in the Premiership Because the deluded idiots thought they could do better. Since then, they’ve gone down, down, down.

According to the Charlton ITK poster on their forum, Appleton was sacked but then they changed their minds and retracted it. He’s also apparently offered out their fans in an interview, however I watched it and it seemed like he was merely pointing out that it’s easier to make personal insults online than to say them to his face.

Does always surprise me when I see such vitriol directed towards MA considering how highly thought of he is by everyone here. Is he really as good as we think he is?

Whatever is going on, it certainly seems like an absolute mess. You can see why Goodwin chose us ahead of Charlton!

According to the Charlton ITK poster on their forum, Appleton was sacked but then they changed their minds and retracted it. He’s also apparently offered out their fans in an interview, however I watched it and it seemed like he was merely pointing out that it’s easier to make personal insults online than to say them to his face.

Does always surprise me when I see such vitriol directed towards MA considering how highly thought of he is by everyone here. Is he really as good as we think he is?

Whatever is going on, it certainly seems like an absolute mess. You can see why Goodwin chose us ahead of Charlton!

What MApp has always needed is time. He is no quick fixer and takes an age to put his style on a team.

People often forget in the haze of the promotion and fun of being back in League 1 for the season that followed, most of MApp's first season with us in 2014-15 we were rubbish. It took us eight attempts to register our first win and, even after 38 league matches, we sat in 19th place - a mere six points from the drop. Eight unbeaten at the end saw us get to 13th on the final day. We were incredibly patient with him and he knew that to get his style working, he was needing different players to Newey, Hunt and Raynes from the CW days. It took three windows to do it and MApp wasted the first with a lot of players whose names are just footnotes in our history now - Junior Brown, Will Hoskins, George Long and so on.

Patience is lacking in football but I think if Charlton can stomach it for a bit longer, next season they should be raring to go under him. Lincoln had a season of mid-table under MApp before an unexpected and impressive run to a play off final.

All that said, he's a decent enough manager but if he hasn't mastered how to get over the slow starts and to work with what he has he'll never be a top manager. He has over 450 games as a coach now but a win rate of 37.3%. Karl Robinson has the same number of promotions as him and a win rate of 40.9%, as a comparison. To me, it's his choice of jobs and lack of immediate improvement to sides that holds him back.

What MApp has always needed is time. He is no quick fixer and takes an age to put his style on a team.

People often forget in the haze of the promotion and fun of being back in League 1 for the season that followed, most of MApp's first season with us in 2014-15 we were rubbish. It took us eight attempts to register our first win and, even after 38 league matches, we sat in 19th place - a mere six points from the drop. Eight unbeaten at the end saw us get to 13th on the final day. We were incredibly patient with him and he knew that to get his style working, he was needing different players to Newey, Hunt and Raynes from the CW days. It took three windows to do it and MApp wasted the first with a lot of players whose names are just footnotes in our history now - Junior Brown, Will Hoskins, George Long and so on.

Patience is lacking in football but I think if Charlton can stomach it for a bit longer, next season they should be raring to go under him. Lincoln had a season of mid-table under MApp before an unexpected and impressive run to a play off final.

All that said, he's a decent enough manager but if he hasn't mastered how to get over the slow starts and to work with what he has he'll never be a top manager. He has over 450 games as a coach now but a win rate of 37.3%. Karl Robinson has the same number of promotions as him and a win rate of 40.9%, as a comparison. To me, it's his choice of jobs and lack of immediate improvement to sides that holds him back.

That season was pretty mental looking back. He did come in quite late which probably affected our business that summer, and we had to loan quite a few players at the last minute.

I had a look back and some of those signings were actually decent but it was just their first loans in senior football. Carlton Morris for example.

On a side note, does anyone remember a player called Giorgio Rasulo? According to wiki we loaned him from MK and he played one game for us that season, but I don’t have any recollection of him at all?

That season was pretty mental looking back. He did come in quite late which probably affected our business that summer, and we had to loan quite a few players at the last minute.

I had a look back and some of those signings were actually decent but it was just their first loans in senior football. Carlton Morris for example.

On a side note, does anyone remember a player called Giorgio Rasulo? According to wiki we loaned him from MK and he played one game for us that season, but I don’t have any recollection of him at all?

In terms of appearances, not really.

His name used to come up on Rad Ox a lot as he played a lot and scored plenty for Banbury.

Eh... consistently failed at every club he has been at!!

This is my thought on MAPP, he seems to end up at clubs with shite owners that want the moon on a stick in a month. He was given time here and took a squad that was probably heading to non league to league 1 and left us a couple of players short of a good chance of promotion. The way he developed young players was a treat to watch. Lincoln gave him time then I believe turn the money off. Everywhere else he seems to go in, flounder for a bit and get the boot.

Back
Top Bottom