International News Meghan & Harry

I find it all a bit sad; sad that Harry has publicly detached himself from his family and sad that he allowed himself to marry an attention seeking actress. So many people saw trouble coming when they got together, it’s sad for him and his family that he didn’t, or hoped for the best.

Or maybe, the life that he's now living is way better than the one he left? Wife, two kids, a couple of dogs and a mansion in Santa Barbara? I think a lot of people would take that.

Versus being part of the royal family, which is a life of great luxury, global profile and complete and total servitude. It's high living, sure, but it's also letting others completely dictate your life, down to the tiniest details.

So yeah, it's always a bit sad when families break apart, but Harry is hardly the first rich kid to decide he might enjoy a bit more freedom if he escaped his family - and I can't blame him for a second.

The only thing I would criticize Meghan for is being naive, and not having the foresight to see what life was going to be like as a royal, and having the hubris to think she could change a millennium-spanning institution from the inside. They should have properly eloped on Day One - spared themselves some of the pain, and all of us much of the hand-wringing.

(also, whilst it must suck having a horribly racist grandfather-in-law, it's not as if that wasn't well documented a hundred times over!)

If they don't want to be part of the whole royal thing, then fine - more power to them. But they can't do that and then *keep* trading on being part of the royal family! I sincerely hope that they disappear into happy obscurity in the USA, with Meghan keeping them in caviar with the occasional acting job.

^^this.

It`s not a "job" it`s an inheritance. You want to go then go, we don`t need the sympathy fest.

Of course some lazy throwing of the race card and a bit of "Ohh it`s so tough".

No it is a life of incredible privilege with a level of self sacrifice expected.

The royal family as an establishment belongs in the history books now. When the Queen dies, that's it. Abolish it.

The royal family as an establishment belongs in the history books now. When the Queen dies, that's it. Abolish it.
"The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 came into effect on 1 April 2012. It sets the single grant supporting the monarch’s official business, enabling The Queen to discharge her duties as Head of State. It meets the central staff costs and running expenses of Her Majesty’s official household – including official receptions, investitures and garden parties. It also covers maintenance of the Royal Palaces in England and the cost of travel to carry out royal engagements such as opening buildings and other royal visits.

In exchange for this public support, The Queen surrenders the revenue from The Crown Estate to the government which for 2018-19 was £343.5 million. The Sovereign Grant for 2020-21 is £85.9 million which is 25% of £343.5 million."

Obviously this doesn't include revenue for ordinary businesses generated by royal tourism. Opinion polling shows consistent support of the monarchy which, as you know, holds only symbolic constitutional power.

So on what basis are you saying we should abolish it?

This was caused by the tabloids for the tabloids.
It wouldn’t have mattered who Harry married, something similar to this would still be happening.
And the Royal Family can’t come out in Megan’s defence either as they need the support of the tabloids to exist.

This was caused by the tabloids for the tabloids.
It wouldn’t have mattered who Harry married, something similar to this would still be happening.
And the Royal Family can’t come out in Megan’s defence either as they need the support of the tabloids to exist.
This 100%.

I would love to poll the population under 40 to see their percentage of support for the monarchy.

Or maybe, the life that he's now living is way better than the one he left? Wife, two kids, a couple of dogs and a mansion in Santa Barbara? I think a lot of people would take that.

Versus being part of the royal family, which is a life of great luxury, global profile and complete and total servitude. It's high living, sure, but it's also letting others completely dictate your life, down to the tiniest details.

So yeah, it's always a bit sad when families break apart, but Harry is hardly the first rich kid to decide he might enjoy a bit more freedom if he escaped his family - and I can't blame him for a second.

The only thing I would criticize Meghan for is being naive, and not having the foresight to see what life was going to be like as a royal, and having the hubris to think she could change a millennium-spanning institution from the inside. They should have properly eloped on Day One - spared themselves some of the pain, and all of us much of the hand-wringing.

(also, whilst it must suck having a horribly racist grandfather-in-law, it's not as if that wasn't well documented a hundred times over!)
You quote me like I care what he’s done, I don’t, I care about the unsavoury and attention seeking way he’s done it. Very unnecessary and entirely self serving.
As for Meghan, she wasn’t naive, she knew exactly what she was getting into. Do you think Harry never told her? Think she never knew about Diana? Bullshit.
This reality show circus they’ve created just needs to quietly go away now.

The last Statista poll I saw a couple of days back had the 25-49 year olds down as 62% support for the royal family.
Really appreciate your support 😂
Was that the same one that had support for the monarchy down at around 40% for 18-24 year olds? That was the blip in the poll, every group older was strongly in support of the monarchy. I can't see there being any change soon.

The last Statista poll I saw a couple of days back had the 25-49 year olds down as 62% support for the royal family.
Really appreciate your support 😂
Imagine supporting someone who was a known friend of a known paedophile.

Was that the same one that had support for the monarchy down at around 40% for 18-24 year olds? That was the blip in the poll, every group older was strongly in support of the monarchy. I can't see there being any change soon.
Yes it was

Imagine supporting someone who was a known friend of a known paedophile.
Imagine that is your best argument against the monarchy....
My support is for the Monarchy as an institution, I’m not a sycophant that loves each and every member and facet of the royal family, regardless of who they are or what they’ve done.
Prince Andrew has a lot of questions to answer and one day he must be held to account.

My support is for the Monarchy as an institution, I’m not a sycophant that loves each and every member and facet of the royal family, regardless of who they are or what they’ve done.
Prince Andrew has a lot of questions to answer and one day he must be held to account.
It's old fashioned, it's the only reason some of the gutter press exists and it needs to go I'm afraid.

The problem is Paedo Andy will never face justice because he's "royal" - there's something really not right about that.

Are you watching the interview?

Doesn't paint the Royal Family very well.

Back
Top Bottom