International News Meghan & Harry

Pete Burrett

Well, Meghan mainly.

What are peoples' thoughts on the subject? I find myself largely not caring about any of it, albeit slightly bemused by the whole 'leave us alone but please listen to the Oprah interview' saga.

I mean, marry a Royal and be surprised it changes your life?

If they don't want to be part of the whole royal thing, then fine - more power to them. But they can't do that and then *keep* trading on being part of the royal family! I sincerely hope that they disappear into happy obscurity in the USA, with Meghan keeping them in caviar with the occasional acting job.

Don't care. In fact, isn't it about time we had a reassessment of the royal family (not in the French sense).

Things like this...

...just aren't right. The money should be going to the country (for the Tories to blow on white elephants and squirrels)

I certainly won’t be watching the documentary although to be honest some of the recent ones on other members of the royals have been interesting.
I don’t get wanting to wash ones dirty linen in public...oh I get it now, a chance to make some money as they are not benefitting from the public purse anymore.
My view is that they didn’t want to be in the public eye anymore but have chosen to court publicity at every opportunity.
Strikes me as double standards.
As for Prince Andrew, why can’t we do an exchange deal with the woman that killed Harry Dunn killing him instantly?
I’m bored to tears with Haz covering the front pages of the newspapers on a daily basis. Mind you I suppose it’s a refreshing change to reading about how the virus has destroyed people’s lives.

Don't care. In fact, isn't it about time we had a reassessment of the royal family (not in the French sense).

Things like this...

...just aren't right. The money should be going to the country (for the Tories to blow on white elephants and squirrels)
If Putin did that it would be theft and corruption. Raping your own country.

I suppose they've been doing for years and majority of people lap it up.

Masterchef is on the other side at 9pm tonight and that’ll grab my attention more than the airing of dirty laundry on ITV.

I shouldn’t comment on subjects I’m not fussed about but I’ll make an exception here. My main issue with this interview is that Buck Palace will keep their code of omertà as they often do in these instances and the H&M version of events will become the gospel. The Queen et al have a right to respond but they won’t use it as sensibly they don’t want a tit for tat argument brewing in the press and it’s her chosen code to say little anyway.

Also, and it may be a question of semantics, Meghan mentions that a royal had ‘concern’ over the colour of their child. Making a comment that a child would be mixed race isn’t in itself offensive. It’s a fact that Archie has a mixed race mother. It’s the word ‘concern’ that raised my eyebrows. What would be concerning about it? Again, Buck Palace won’t say anything here and that allows that insinuation to fester (FWIW, it’s almost certainly Prince Philip who made the remark because he has prior form. Or Randy Andy because he’s a complete tool who is liable for putting his foot in it).

To some degree I have sympathy with Harry and Meghan. He’s a royal never destined to be king but followed and around and harassed as such as though he was. Whatever his outcome in life and even if he left the royal family at 16, he can’t have a normal life because of the family he was born into. He has to use his royal connections to create a career for himself which will always attract criticism. He can’t do a 9-5 like most of us. Meghan clearly hasn’t had the influence on the family as she would have liked either and has had to put up with being a bit part player but with all the media attention that comes with it. I hope for her sake that her mental health concerns are now under control.

Maybe this is a stone kicked out of the monarchy’s wall? Who knows? I would be happier once William is on the throne should we continue with a monarchy. The younger generation do seem more amiable and approachable than the incumbent and the successor.

I'm not sure I can take the words of an American actress at face value - also very careful choice of words i.e. "didn't want to be alive anymore" lead me to believe there's a bit of a dramatisation at play.

I'm sure they'll be happy that the interview has drummed up some excitement for their upcoming multi hundred-million dollar media projects and will result in further contracts and big money LA deals. Perhaps a film?

I'm not sure I can take the words of an American actress at face value - also very careful choice of words i.e. "didn't want to be alive anymore" lead me to believe there's a bit of a dramatisation at play.

I'm sure they'll be happy that the interview has drummed up some excitement for their upcoming multi hundred-million dollar media projects and will result in further contracts and big money LA deals. Perhaps a film?

Indeed, I've always wondered how you tell if an actor is being sincere.

Meghan has often mentioned how much she idolised Diana. If she carries on with this, she will end up just like her..

As much as I really don't care, I did find myself scanning the headlines this morning. And the one that stood out for me was Meghan saying that they actually got married 3 days before their wedding in a private ceremony. That makes either the first or second marriage illegal! What we had was a rehearsal that millions go through, but one where they made more personal vows to each other. So why spin it as something else? It's all part of the narrative that they are just Megs and Hazza rather than part of an institution that gave them everything. Hopefully they'll both now disappear into the world of celebrity z listers.

Meghan has often mentioned how much she idolised Diana. If she carries on with this, she will end up just like her..
Nah! Now she's back in the US she'll have given up her passport, like many Americans do. Can't travel to Paris without one.

If they had and still have genuine concerns about her mental health and alleged racism then deal with them in a way that the royal household learns and changes whatever needs changing, ie discreetly. If either of them had any respect for the royal family that is what they should have done.
To air their issues on prime time TV with arguably the most famous host on American tv has absolutely nothing to do with learning and is all about them, their career(s), making money and unsavoury mud slinging at an institution they know is unlikely to publicly respond.
I find it all a bit sad; sad that Harry has publicly detached himself from his family and sad that he allowed himself to marry an attention seeking actress. So many people saw trouble coming when they got together, it’s sad for him and his family that he didn’t, or hoped for the best.
Let’s have a response from the royal family or move on, there’s more important things to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom