National News 'Harry and Meghan step back ....'

I think they are going to become financially self-sufficient, aren’t they?

Part of me thinks she knew what she was getting into, but if they need this to be happy then good luck to them. Happiness is hard to find in this world, and if it works for them, and isn’t hurting anyone else, then I don’t have a problem with it.

Cross the Royals, at your peril. Meghan is playing with fire here. Can see her ending up like Diana.

I don't know much about them, but if they want to become financially independent (less of a drain on the public purse) and live more in the real world, then good luck to them. Can't imagine they will ever be able to become a 'normal' couple though.

Yesterday on brink of a new war in MiddleEast with what I felt was good journelism across media , today BBC going into meltdown over one of the so called "they are lovely boys" and his Mrs deciding they cant cope and getting off the gravey train. Never knew there could be so many so called "Royal Commentators" giving there insight to what really has happened.

Uncle Andy been sent into shadows where he belongs and now these two, keep this up and we will have the lot out by stumps as they say.

Its almost laughable, taxpayer spends £3 mill on renovating their residence a few months back and now they decided they will use it as a summer holiday home.

They can do what they like as far as I am concerned only wish they would talk the rest of his family into going with them.

I don't know much about them, but if they want to become financially independent (less of a drain on the public purse) and live more in the real world, then good luck to them. Can't imagine they will ever be able to become a 'normal' couple though.
It has been said that when in the UK they will still have armed guards paid by the Met, as they are deemed to be at risk.
So no they will never be a 'normal ' couple.

Private Eye’s ‘Flunkey’ has been on about this for months. In short, Meghan and Harry have got fed up of the media intrusion and Meghan’s methods of reinventing the Royals has not gone well with QEII which probably explains why they didn’t let Buck House know about it before announcing their intention. It would have been a fruitless exercise as the Queen is the matriarch and expects her subordinates to do their duty. The outcome would have been the same whether they informed her first or not. It was always going to upset Buck House, outrage the right-wing media and yet Harry and Meghan couldn’t care less.

To me, it’s either-or with the life they choose. You can’t have your cake and eat it. You either commit to the life of a royal and take all that comes with it including the dull-as-ditchwater ribbon cutting events but the cushty life of privilege or forgo it and head out on your own terms (as much as you can do) and cut all ties with royal duty so no more monies from the taxpayer coming your way. I think ultimately the latter is what they would like to do, but I can’t understand why they don’t just go the whole hog and say it. Maybe Harry wants to keep his role just as insurance to have the throne if a series of unfortunate events occurs. I’d rather they committed one way or another.

Good luck to them. If they can make it work and be happy away from all that being a royal means, go for it. I wouldn’t want to be involved in it. Harry had no choice but Meghan volunteered herself into it. Now she know what it’s like, she wants to opt out and I don’t blame her.

Nor will they be a 'normal' couple while they maintain a 'cottage' the size of Frogmore as their UK bolt hole and the Sussex title. Quite understand their quest for normality, but not convinced they'd be willing to give enough up to achieve it.
Yes it does sound like they want their cake and to eat it.
'Financially independent ' still means a big cost to the state.
They have only just has the refurbishment of their royal property completed which cost in excess of £2m. Couldn't they have decided this before spending such a huge amount?

Shouldnt our royals not be let anywhere close to American females? :rolleyes:

weve had Wallis Simpson last century and Megan Markle this century, both have been similarly catastrophic involvements!:oops:

Yanks cannot Americanize our royal family no matter how hard they try

I'm pro-Royal Family, but if Ginger 'Arry n the Yank are as they say 'stepping back' , strip em of any titles, privileges, and taxpayer-funded residences, and all other benefits I say. If they want an easy ride, they need to earn it, or lose it all....... And then be subjected to a PIP assessment:cool:

Last edited:
The only issue I have is that they are seeking to be financially independent. They are already financially independent and what is more had Frogmore redeveloped at great cost to the public.
No wonder senior royals are unhappy and much of the public even though they are royalists too

To me, it’s either-or with the life they choose. You can’t have your cake and eat it. You either commit to the life of a royal and take all that comes with it including the dull-as-ditchwater ribbon cutting events but the cushty life of privilege or forgo it and head out on your own terms (as much as you can do) and cut all ties with royal duty so no more monies from the taxpayer coming your way. I think ultimately the latter is what they would like to do, but I can’t understand why they don’t just go the whole hog and say it. Maybe Harry wants to keep his role just as insurance to have the throne if a series of unfortunate events occurs. I’d rather they committed one way or another.

Hell, if he can't cope with the boring duty of being the Duke of Sussex, why the hell would he want to be King? It would be the same thing x10. And let's not pretend it offers any real power nowadays.

I really, really want to not care at all about any of this royal nonsense......but sadly I do find myself reaching for the popcorn at the prospect of another proper Royal fight!

And Harry's always been the most entertaining of the lot of them - Nazi costumes, strip pool, American TV star wife......his judgement clearly ain't the soundest, but he's not boring.

Meghan is the best news fo any of us republicans ever - if only Corbyn had had the bottle to say what he really thought about the monarchy - what a wimp - missed a trick there

Meghan is the best news fo any of us republicans ever - if only Corbyn had had the bottle to say what he really thought about the monarchy - what a wimp - missed a trick there

What difference would it of made? Wouldn’t of won him a single extra seat, he didn’t need to add to his unpopular views. I am not a royalist but it’s hard to argue that this country wants to be a republic, we enjoy the soap opera of the Royal family to much.

He had enough things to alienate him from swathes of the population without adding to it!! Pandering to minorities gets you exactly that....a minority.

Back
Top Bottom