Manager/Coach Mark Thomas to Derby

And the question has to be asked, is this because Mark Thomas was unhappy at OUFC or, is this a real step up for him? From one side, being appointed DoF for Derby County has to be a step up in his career, on the other side, why could he not progress at OUFC?

Rumours abound as to the exact nature of his departure and any mention on here will, no doubt, have the club threatening the forum with all manner of repercussions, again.

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when he informed the board of his decision to leave!

And the question has to be asked, is this because Mark Thomas was unhappy at OUFC or, is this a real step up for him? From one side, being appointed DoF for Derby County has to be a step up in his career, on the other side, why could he not progress at OUFC?

Rumours abound as to the exact nature of his departure and any mention on here will, no doubt, have the club threatening the forum with all manner of repercussions, again.

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when he informed the board of his decision to leave!
Being a DoF at Derby of course would be a big step up for him.
Derby are potentially a PL club.
I am not sure that there could be any doubt about that?

Being a DoF at Derby of course would be a big step up for him.
Derby are potentially a PL club.
I am not sure that there could be any doubt about that?
If it is a DoF role. The original message that came out was that he would be Head of Recruitment, as he is/was at Oxford. DoF at Derby would, of course, be a step up in his career. Great shame that he feels the need to move on though.

If it is a DoF role. The original message that came out was that he would be Head of Recruitment, as he is/was at Oxford. DoF at Derby would, of course, be a step up in his career. Great shame that he feels the need to move on though.
Whatever, if he goes to Derby in the same role it will be a step up and presumably a very large hike in his salary.

So the head of the Academy (Dan Harris ) and the head of recruitment (MarkThomas) both leave after 4 and 5 years service in their respective roles, both within 6 months of each other.

I wonder if there is a connection as to why they both chose to leave?

Posted this the other day:

I wish it wasn’t as depressing, but ultimately if you fail to implement a long term strategy whilst sidelining data/analytics you end up with the squad build we have.

There’s no point having Thomas/Waldron and others if their voices are ignored. Such a team exists not only to aid players coming in, but also to dodge some of these traps. Remember we were in for Defoe before he promptly retired? Is the reason why teams haven’t taken the bait with Stockton - because clubs are getting smart.

Develop a playing style, find the qualities you want for players in that position, recruit to that. Analytics/data doesn’t have to be a load of number wizards, it just highlights those players that are good at the things *the team* needs (and helps you steer clear of those players that are flavour of the month).

The Szmodics situation (as reported from the posh side) was KR calling Fry, McAnthony and Ferguson. Which sensible club operates with the manager having a phone around?

I’ve banged the drum for a while, but we’ve had success previously and have members in the recruitment team that are rated, why not invest in that further? If it prevents you from a Hanson type mistake, or unearths a Whyte/McNally etc then it repays itself in no time.

I think many of us heard through the summer KR was single minded with the players he wanted and was holding out for. As a result we have tethered ourselves to long contracts (which look like favouritism) whilst assembling an unbalanced squad with the same issues as previous windows. The same techy players - it's all too predictable. We are desperate for athleticism and power (all over the pitch). I'm sure we will get linked with some nice players this window, but will it be what we really need, and to what plan are we following in bringing these players in?

If I'm being generous, I would hope we have a list of potential replacements for Thomas and further additions. If we see one of KR's mates come in, or the position left vacant, then it will look like we are doubling down on KR. I would hope this is the catalyst to implement some actual structure independent of KR - if he doesn't like it, then find someone who will work within the framework.

This month is clearly a big one. I hope Williams etc are ready to make some big decisions.

BTW - FiveThirthEight have us with a 6% chance of playoffs and 2% chance of promotion. It will take something ridiculous for us to get close, of which there is zero evidence in the last 12 months to suggest we will.

This season has been a massive mess, right when we required a big push.

They probably immediately went scampering over to Karl to get reassurance that he was ok with it…

As I understand it, he'll be absolutely fine with the decision to leave. :rolleyes:

More fool the board for letting it go this far.
Playing devils advocate. Has anyone considered that the board are bowing to Karl’s demands, to keep him happy..? A ‘What he wants he gets’ scenario and what he wanted was greater control of transfers? Or maybe GF and TW believe Thomas is the villain for the summers transfer fiasco?

I guess we’ll find out if Gallen or Fowler rock up as Thomas’ replacement 😁

Think not announcing it until Robbie Fowler has signed on the line to replace him 😉😄
Playing devils advocate. Has anyone considered that the board are bowing to Karl’s demands, to keep him happy..? A ‘What he wants he gets’ scenario and what he wanted was greater control of transfers? Or maybe GF and TW believe Thomas is the villain for the summers transfer fiasco?

Please not. :oops: 🤬

Why on earth would they do that?
My suspicion is that if we don't get very close to the playoffs, KR will be out.

Why on earth would they do that?
My suspicion is that if we don't get very close to the playoffs, KR will be out.
Hmmmm… as much as I hope you’re right I’m not convinced. Time will tell I guess..

I wonder if the board knew that Mark Thomas leaving at the recent fans forum?

Back
Top Bottom