Ex-Staff Liam Manning

This Manning love affair is embarrassing. We gave him an opportunity only a few months after being sacked by another league one club and gave him pretty much everything he wanted. The club got rid of established staff to bring his own people in, and many of those leaving were treated like absolute s**t. We then backed Manning in the summer transfer window and would have spent several hundred thousand more if we could have got the right deals done. Assurances were given to further invest in the playing squad in January and beyond.

The board and the whole club gave him everything he could have wanted, and he fucked off the second another club showed him any interest. f**k him and his poundshop Klopp celebrations. And remember that he didn't even wait around to speak with the players. They found out he was going via a text message on the Monday and Manning was in early on the Tuesday to clear his desk before the players arrived. He has also never once spoke of his time at Oxford as anything over than a footnote. So, once again, f**k him.

And before anyone brings up his contract situation, that was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. He was being paid a very good salary for league one, as was Hogg. The club were still paying off Robinson and didn't want to get burnt by paying big money if we dropped into league two. The contract was reasonable AND Manning was happy to sign on these terms. Following the decent start, I'm sure the club would have been happy to discuss a deal that would have given him more security, but they didn't have that option because he had packed up and gone the moment he could get away.

Buckingham may not be the right manager, but neither is Manning and I hope that the only time we see him anywhere near Oxford again is when we're beating the teams he ends up with after Bristol City get rid of him.

Nonsense.

I have it on good authority that Manning was on £180,000 a year here, he was offered just under £750,000 per year at Bristol City. We upped it to around £220,000 but he was never staying, and nor would you for an extra £10,500 a week in your pay packet.

Nonsense.

I have it on good authority that Manning was on £180,000 a year here, he was offered just under £750,000 per year at Bristol City. We upped it to around £220,000 but he was never staying, and nor would you for an extra £10,500 a week in your pay packet.
Your good authority is wrong on the salary he was getting from us.

And before anyone brings up his contract situation, that was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances. He was being paid a very good salary for league one, as was Hogg. The club were still paying off Robinson and didn't want to get burnt by paying big money if we dropped into league two. The contract was reasonable AND Manning was happy to sign on these terms.
he was happy to sign on those terms because he knew he could leave how he did if it went well.

To use your same logic, we were happy to offer him terms that meant he could up sticks the first time that someone fluttered their eyelashes at him.

You’re very happy to take moral high ground when you see it, so the talk of a “love affair” is a bit childish. I enjoyed watching a team with a clear plan that won games.
People go on about the form under Manning but which games did we really batter a team from the 1st minute?
When people talk about the form under Manning they tend to focus on the points we won rather than the xG.

Nonsense.

Absolutely money talks in football. Even at the top level what's the betting Klopp will turn up at PSG ,or Real Madrid soon. Or In Saudi where Ronaldo is on 3.4 million per week, I didn't like the way Manning left us and iam sure if he had stayed we would be 3rd or 4th .It was up to us to replace him ,it hasn't worked yet ,Nathan Jones will probably be the one next season we all wanted because I can see them on the up. Reading will also probably be up there ,so sadly we have missed an opportunity with how it seems to be working out.

Financially he made a decision that will set him up. Career wise it looks like this is going to blow up in his face. There is a growing dislike of him and two further defeats and some City fans I know, genuinely think he could be gone by the middle of March. I can't see that but the heat is on.

Financially he made a decision that will set him up. Career wise it looks like this is going to blow up in his face. There is a growing dislike of him and two further defeats and some City fans I know, genuinely think he could be gone by the middle of March. I can't see that but the heat is on.
Bristol City are a bit of a nothing club for me (as harsh as it sounds). Some seasons they're bottom half, some they're near the play-offs, others they're mid-table. They just sort of seem to float along without ever looking like they'll get promoted or relegated.

I reckon they'll give Manning time because of that - they don't seem desperate to go up/get play-offs.

It would be so like an (ex) Oxford manager to beat two sides in the top 5 and lose to two sides in the bottom 5.

Haha I just watched the last 20. Ipswich were epic to be fair, relentless - no love lost on Bristol City though... Looks like mid-table mediocrity for them.

You may wish to enduldge in threads like these...

Haha I just watched the last 20. Ipswich were epic to be fair, relentless - no love lost on Bristol City though... Looks like mid-table mediocrity for them.

You may wish to enduldge in threads like these...

Is there a Des bingo? His main one seems to be "in that space". At least he has a bit of personality and is likeable even if it's been a struggle for him so far.

Sykes also getting it in the neck for their goals oh and Dickie too-best not play up Oxford connection for once-anyone know what's happened to Atkinson btw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom