Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Craig Short took matchday style training this morning. I assume because Manning and possibly Hogg were away doing the necessary contractual stuff with Bristol City representatives whilst the clubs continued to work on rubberstamping the final agreements.

An official announcement is basically confirmation to the public these days.
The club behind closed doors has a plan for the rest of the week, and then the two weeks following.
They're not all sat around waiting for the announcement to be done to jump into action.

As is so often said about player transfer announcements - the clubs involved will agree on a time between them. It doesn't get signed and announced immediately anymore.
It rarely did even a decade ago. We agreed the Anthony Tonkin deal and did his video interview for the old Yellow Player service a week before it was announced.

Lee Fowler was one of the rare occasions where a player signed and was announced in literal minutes, much to the joy of @MJB

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
The silence makes me think that this isn't a sure fire thing, and that *(probably) Manning needs to make a decision.
I’m fairly confident we will have made a counter offer. Whether it’s that he’s thinking through or the just the mechanics of the timing of the announcement I don’t know.

What is taking so long, I wonder? I was expecting a morning announcement. Could there be a chance that he stays?
If you remember there was quite a delay in our announcement that Manning was the new Oufc manager (really dragged on that Friday) which was contractual.

It was also never confirmed what the contract length was so I was always quite nervous about it.

It now appears this has really come and bitten us in the backside.

Craig Short took matchday style training this morning. I assume because Manning and possibly Hogg were away doing the necessary contractual stuff with Bristol City representatives whilst the clubs continued to work on rubberstamping the final agreements.

An official announcement is basically confirmation to the public these days.
The club behind closed doors has a plan for the rest of the week, and then the two weeks following.
They're not all sat around waiting for the announcement to be done to jump into action.

Short in charge tonight then?

It rarely did even a decade ago. We agreed the Anthony Tonkin deal and did his video interview for the old Yellow Player service a week before it was announced.

Lee Fowler was one of the rare occasions where a player signed and was announced in literal minutes, much to the joy of @MJB
Bring back the days of not announcing players until the team is read out.

Gavin Gordon debuting away at York springs to mind.
I also remember the loan signing of Daniel Boateng being announced whilst most people were travelling to Leeds away in the cup. He came on for the last 5 minutes and no-one knew who he was.

Right, are we sure this rumour has any legs? Absolutely nothing in the King's Speech about it. 🤷

Just saying.
Big opportunity missed there by the club. Feels like it would have been the perfect platform.

Football moves fast. Recorded on 1st November, released on 2nd November, Manning around 19minutes.

The silence makes me think that this isn't a sure fire thing, and that *(probably) Manning needs to make a decision.
Can’t see how he can stay now, seems by this forum he has lost half the fans anyway

They say the internet never forgets but I can’t find evidence of his Asos bow tie t-shirt. The only photos of it are covered by a OUFC scarf 😔.

I also remember the loan signing of Daniel Boateng being announced whilst most people were travelling to Leeds away in the cup. He came on for the last 5 minutes and no-one knew who he was.
Personally, I always like a last minute signing - keeper Richard Knight signing and playing at Watford (I think) was one I remember. During the match I could hear him shouting 'mate, mate...front post' to one of our fullbacks who he obviously had only met before the match. Very Sunday League.

Halcyon days.

I remember a steward at The Manor telling my dad and I that Mark Warren had signed on loan from Leyton Orient that morning, back when midday on match day was the cut off rather than midday the day before, then warming up while everybody squinted at him.

Hopefully we go old school and don’t announce the new manager; just chuck them in the dugout at Cheltenham.

Back
Top Bottom