Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Lots of questions for our owners to answer. Why was his miserly 1 year contract not greatly improved weeks ago?

RadOx suggested he is on a rolling contract, a contract that continues until someone decides to end it, rather than one that continues until a particular date.

If the suggestion that he is going to be tripling his wage by going to Bristol City, then any improved contract with us would still be miles away.
And if he wanted the release clause in there initially, I highly doubt he'd have signed a deal removing it just a few months later.
So an improved contract ultimately would have meant very little.

Oh aye, he may well have known Saturday, but "officially" he can't have known if approach not made to OUFC/clause not triggered - so he's got to tread the line.

That being said, I don't know what people expected him to say "yes I've been approached, and I'm just waiting for the contract to be drawn up"
He could of said, yes I've been approached . it would of showed proof of his favourite word. INTEGRITY ......

If Hogg doesn't get it, then is there something to be said for Karl Robinson coming in until the end of the season?

The man cares. He moved on to bigger things and has coached in the Premier League. His friend Robbie has recently left his own managing job so could come in as assistant, or head of development. Robbo has had some time to clear his head and could do a good job with this crop of players.

So assuming LM has gone what happens next?

Hogg and rest of “LM’s” key back room team to stay and be promoted - unlikely?

Craig Short and/or other internal promotions re Sam B etc… - hopefully not!

Do we pro-actively go after a target already in post at another club? - Have we even got a list of such people on the back burner in case?

Do we target a specific person not currently in employment - Have we got a ready made list of such candidates already in mind?

Or simply invite applications from anyone currently in or out of work and have another protracted recruitment process?

For fans, football is tribal, passion, life itself at times.

For managers, it is employment. They may love the club that employs them, may thump the badge on their coaching threads with sincerity after a win, may stay a while, and may come back to lifelong applause if they are a legend, but the rules of employment mean they will almost always take the opportunity and the money higher up if offered.

If Man United sacked Ten Haag and took De Zerbi from Brighton, Brighton took McKenna from Ipswich, Ipswich took Mousinho from Portsmouth, and Portsmouth took Williams from Notts County, would all of those managers on the move be dishonest, disloyal snakes who secretly hated the clubs they claimed to represent proudly, or would they simply be employees performing well enough to get head hunted for an even better opportunity?
Get out of here with that logic and reason, this is not the place for that!

He could of said, yes I've been approached . it would of showed proof of his favourite word. INTEGRITY ......
When has any manager ever said that when being linked with another job? Other than when their club has publicly confirmed an approach?

If Manning was approached himself prior to Bristol City officially approaching OUFC or triggering his release clause, then again, he's hardly going to admit being tapped up publicly.

When has any manager ever said that when being linked with another job? Other than when their club has publicly confirmed an approach?

If Manning was approached himself prior to Bristol City officially approaching OUFC or triggering his release clause, then again, he's hardly going to admit being tapped up publicly.
exactly no integrity

On reflection, if he does leave, I don’t think I’ll have felt as neutral about any Oxford manager over the last 30 years as I will about Manning.

He came, kept us up, rebuilt a good squad…..then left for the first Championship job available without finishing things here.

All basically cancels out.

Maybe Ramon Diaz as well….though I’m still not convinced that era wasn’t just a massive group hallucination…….

The sack season is about to get going. There might be some good managers up for grabs in the coming weeks.

Also - no thanks to Bristol or Manning - but there could barely be a better time for a manager to leave.

Players just need to get through the Orient game on their own, and then we should be able to get a new man in by Cheltenham.

They’ll then have a little over a month to assess the squad and decide what they need in January to sustain a promotion challenge.

Just hope we end up having a season like Plymouth last year and not a season like 2013/24 when Wilder left us.

Since May 2021 Manning has had one goodc4 month period. Prior to that he was sacked and the MK Dons side he built got relegated.

That, and a few corporate buzz words is all you need to get a Championship position it seems these days.

The sack season is about to get going. There might be some good managers up for grabs in the coming weeks.
Sack season and good managers don’t necessarily go together. Plenty already out there from last few weeks alone, one or two of which you could argue would be good, but the others no thanks:

Eustace
Pearson
Rowett
Ainsworth
Barton

Back
Top Bottom