Ex-Staff Liam Manning

The more grotty papers had him in the running for the Celtic job so I'm presuming he's more on the map than he was say 12 months ago. This would honestly be my pick of what's out there, the question is do we know about him? He may have to make himself known to us!
Oh we’re definitely aware of him I think it would be a serious challenge to get him out of CFG though.

😂 of course the club know about him. Feels like it *could* be a natural transition to Buckingham, but would need people around him.
Ha! Good. Just seems a bit far-fetched for us vs recent years where we tend to keep it local. I'd love him here, I say it more in hope than anything that we actually have him high on the agenda.

Gutted if he goes, but really can't blame him for taking an opportunity when his stock is high. Being a football manager gives no guarantees except you will eventually get fired.

When you do, you pretty much always end up at a club below the one you're already at.

Taking a step up makes perfect sense if he ever wants to manage at the highest level or even join the Championship merry-go-round. Good luck to him and here's hoping we've already got a contingency plan.

Says the man about a club who most recently had their car park turned into a travellers site.

Well if he goes he doesn’t go with my good wishes and i hope it all goes wrong Bristol city and he’s sacked. Then where will he go lower L2 as whoever hides him might fell he will be gone with in the first season with the slightest success.
If he goes I prey them at Williams and Ferguson don’t go for Lampard or Westley but I think we will back if he does.

If we were going down the tried and trusted, been there and done it managers then I'd go for Paul Cook rather than the likes of Cowley, Rowett, Monk etc. Four or five years ago there'd be no question, he'd be an outright choice of many. Got promotions on his CV and knows his way around the top of L1. Ipswich didn't work out and he's never really got back in where he perhaps should be. Gone down to the NL, started rebuilding his reputation and has Chesterfield flying high. He's a bit old school maybe but not the big mouth you'd perhaps expect him to be, always speaks sensibly and rationally and he's been very gracious about Oxford in the past. Like many, I'd prefer someone of the new generation of managers but if we need someone to maintain our momentum and steer the ship towards promotion then we could do a lot worse. Of the older managers put forward he'd be a stand out for me.

Well if he goes he doesn’t go with my good wishes and i hope it all goes wrong Bristol city and he’s sacked. Then where will he go lower L2 as whoever hides him might fell he will be gone with in the first season with the slightest success.
If he goes I prey them at Williams and Ferguson don’t go for Lampard or Westley but I think we will back if he does.

I wonder if the likes of progressive PL teams like Brentford and Brighton have any young coaches that might fit what we are looking for ? Weren't we rumoured to be interested in one of Brentford's young coaches before Manning got it ?

Offer Chris Hogg the job for perfect continuity. And will P**s off Manning too……. added bonus.
This is all assuming that he leaves……..

Last edited:
Lads

We have been down this road several times before

For me Ron Saunders after he kept us up was my first experience of being gutted as an Oxford fan losing a decent manager however it has happened several times since

Ian Greaves
Jim Smith
Chris Wilder
Ramon Diaz
Michael Appleton

All went because of either a fall out with the owner or were lured by extra dosh or both

We have a history of when everything is looking rosy something comes along and fucks it up

But that is what being an Oxford fan is all about, I’m hoping we are in another Ian Greaves to Jim Smith transition stage at the moment

Back
Top Bottom