Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Exactly. If you want to use a simple figure to assess performance, then PPG is far better than win rate.
Apparently (according to the Bing AI), the team that won the most games in a season has always won the Premier League title (obviously this goes back to 1992), so I'd say you are being picky.

And technically correct. Which is of course the best kind of correct.

I think its important he reads this site, to know who should never play for us again, whose legs are gone, who's finished, and who is too good for this league.

That's something I'd be keen to learn in fairness...

I see little issue with our defence. They are very exposed due to lack of balance in our team. A prime Vidic and Ferdinand would struggle the amount of times the opposition runs over the top of our forward line and midfield. Its nowhere near good enough, and has little to do with quality.

Recruitment wise, physicality up top and in midfield is key for us. In the meantime, we need to find a way of staying in L1.

I see little issue with our defence. They are very exposed due to lack of balance in our team. A prime Vidic and Ferdinand would struggle the amount of times the opposition runs over the top of our forward line and midfield. Its nowhere near good enough, and has little to do with quality.

Recruitment wise, physicality up top and in midfield is key for us. In the meantime, we need to find a way of staying in L1.
You are right about the defence being exposed but I think we could improve massively in terms of full backs and having a CB who is composed, able to bring the ball out and calm in possession.

I am just amazed that he keeps a smile on his face when we are in almost constant angst lately and how long before he starts to go grey/bald or both neither if which I am thankfully yet 😂

• Wouldn’t be right to talk about the weaknesses, so let’s focus on the positives, so insinuates there are weaknesses which I/we all know is obvious

I mean he says it wouldn't be right to talk about weaknesses, but then two minutes later states that they don't have a "big, physical destroyer" in midfield, so they'll have to adapt around that.

Gives me hope that - after five years of KR steadfastly refusing to address a lack of physicality in midfield (with ARG being the sole exception, and even he was more a scrapper with good attitude and defensive awareness, rather than a genuine athlete and physical presence) - Manning might actually want to correct that!

Apparently (according to the Bing AI), the team that won the most games in a season has always won the Premier League title (obviously this goes back to 1992), so I'd say you are being picky.

And technically correct. Which is of course the best kind of correct.

Accepting that I'm a family man and therefore already leaving some kind of legacy, if my life's work amounts to no more than helping a few extra people realise what a shitty stat win percentage is then I'll die happy.

I can tell you that the team with the most PPG won the Premier Leagure, Championship, League One, League Two, Bundesliga and La Liga titles every year and I didnt have to use AI. Because PPG is a meaningful statistic.

Saying there is no difference based on League title winners is also flawed. Bristol Rovers are behind Lincoln in the league despite having won 33% more games.

Points per game is always more useful than win rate. It is always exactly as easy to calculate. There is no reason to use win percentage unless you are Tim Sherwood trying (unsuccessfully) to convince people you should not be sacked.

Nice Futurama ref.

Accepting that I'm a family man and therefore already leaving some kind of legacy, if my life's work amounts to no more than helping a few extra people realise what a shitty stat win percentage is then I'll die happy.

I can tell you that the team with the most PPG won the Premier Leagure, Championship, League One, League Two, Bundesliga and La Liga titles every year and I didnt have to use AI. Because PPG is a meaningful statistic.

Saying there is no difference based on League title winners is also flawed. Bristol Rovers are behind Lincoln in the league despite having won 33% more games.

Points per game is always more useful than win rate. It is always exactly as easy to calculate. There is no reason to use win percentage unless you are Tim Sherwood trying (unsuccessfully) to convince people you should not be sacked.

Nice Futurama ref.
Good News Everyone! I'm not going to disagree with you (because, basically you are right). But PPG is, of course, only a meaningful stat at the end of a season when looking at the league table, not during it. Please refer back to 2020, and the stupidly long argument with Wycombe fans about the relative merits of PPG v Weighted PPG (or don't refer back to it, it's a bloody long and boring thread) and how they snuck into third place despite being 8th in the league at the time.

Good News Everyone! I'm not going to disagree with you (because, basically you are right). But PPG is, of course, only a meaningful stat at the end of a season when looking at the league table, not during it. Please refer back to 2020, and the stupidly long argument with Wycombe fans about the relative merits of PPG v Weighted PPG (or don't refer back to it, it's a bloody long and boring thread) and how they snuck into third place despite being 8th in the league at the time.

I 100% agree that PPG has its limits. Its the Fisher Price of stats. Which hammers home how utterly valueless Win Rate is, as a worse stat.

Even when the world went to s**t during Covid, the PPG rule held in L1. You'll notice I didn't include Serie A in my list though. I figured if anyone could break it, it'd be Juventus.

Our defence isn’t that bad but I wouldn’t say it fits into the way Liam Manning will be wanting to play the game. Moore, Findlay, Brown and Long are ok, no nonsense CB’s but they certainly aren’t ball playing CB’s.

But how will he know which goalkeeper is #1, who is the weak link in the defense, why the midfield is constantly overrun and which attacker should never play for the club again if he doesn't read the forum.....
Get Chris Hogg to read it!!

Having scanned recent posts briefly, I would say we don't need "someone who comes across well" or Jerome is your man. Manning's record is similar to Robinson's, 17 years of a near miss and mediocrity for most of it. At least Robinson didn't blame choice of players on somebody else although I am his least best friend.
Let’s give him a chance shall we?

It's not his players so iam sure people will give him a chance. It could be interesting if he played long in a cdm position we've got to do some thing to protect the defence. Wishing him all the best 👍

It's not his players so iam sure people will give him a chance. It could be interesting if he played long in a cdm position we've got to do some thing to protect the defence. Wishing him all the best 👍
Long as CDM? I know it’s an away day but 7.31am is a bit early to be drinking!

Most points obviously, I’m just saying that a good win rate is a decent thing for a manager to have.
You said win rate was the "main stat we should rely on".

Points per game is clearly more relevant.

Last edited:
Long is versatile and has decent distribution so could potentially work well as a CDM.

The issue really is that due to our wonky squad, if you don’t play him at RB, you have to put Anderson there who isn’t disciplined enough for the role.

Back
Top Bottom