Ex-Staff Liam Manning

What did you expect him to say? Football is an industry unlike any other, you're not going to get dragged in front of the office in the real world and get asked about rumor's of you going elsewhere.
He could have said nothing. Then when the announcement is made, just said something about a bigger challenge, wish Oxford well, blah, blah, he would of got a few pelters but most would just move on. Instead he denied it when he knew all along.

Don't disagree that the way he acted being the scenes was very poor. I just don't think it's fair to scrutinize some of the interviews he did as I can't remember a manager ever being open about leaving in the public domain.

Don't all managers leave a bit like that though? There has to be a bit cloak and dagger stuff going on in the undercover of darkness and maybe a few fibs while you're still technically employed and building up to a game - isn't that the professional way to behave, to keep your counsel until everything is finalised. There's never really going to be the perfect departure of a manager who's being sought by a bigger club higher up the food chain. If he'd have come out and said 'I will be off next week to Bristol City, just waiting to dot the i's and cross the t's' what reaction do you think he'd have got? a) Good luck Liam, thanks for your honesty ! or b) You f****** w*****, you've only been here 2 minutes !

He could not have won in that situation, whichever way him leaving was handled.

There are really two parts to this:

The fact that Manning left the club. He left for more money. We can all understand and appreciate that. Yes, if it doesn't work out at BC he has set up his family with some security. Yes, his career might falter because of it, and he maybe left us too early but hindsight is a wonderful thing. We are pissed off that he left for more money but we can understand his reason and forgive him for that.

The way Manning left the club. This is where people fundamentally disagree. A few are saying they can forgive him for what he did, that he lied and betrayed the players, fans and staff by simply walking out without a second thought for the club. That in doing so, he had been responsible for job losses which were essentially meaningless. That he lied in interviews, and jeopardized the stability of the club by betraying the project. Some people will say "that's just the nature of the industry". Others will say "the least he could have done was face the players and staff to admit that he was leaving and saying goodbye".

For me, I can't understand why some people would ever have him back after he commited an act of serious harm against the club without being man enough to own his decision

I will not be satisfied until he is sacked by BC.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet - would there be such hostility towards Manning if after he left, the new manager came in and we continued in good form?

Is the hostility intensified because we've fallen off a cliff?

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet - would there be such hostility towards Manning if after he left, the new manager came in and we continued in good form?

The crowd at Leyton Orient away, our first game without him, was pretty hostile towards him. From the reaction of Shorty and the players, it felt everyone was pretty hostile. That was before we knew how the season would unfold.

I don't think we'd be thinking about it as much now if we pushed on in the season, however we have nothing else (stadium aside) to talk about at the moment so navel gazing is inevitable.

This season appears to be dead so there is bound to be some picking over the bones.

Yes, very likely.

We are harking back to the optimism and fun of watching a winning side, when all we have now is watching a side unable to win and one who plays the dullest football imaginable. It wasn't a hugely entertaining watch under Manning but winning and having an identity gives you a bit of hope that the manager knows what he's doing.

The crowd at Leyton Orient away, our first game without him, was pretty hostile towards him. From the reaction of Shorty and the players, it felt everyone was pretty hostile. That was before we knew how the season would unfold.

I don't think we'd be thinking about it as much now if we pushed on in the season, however we have nothing else (stadium aside) to talk about at the moment so navel gazing is inevitable.

This season appears to be dead so there is bound to be some picking over the bones.
There was bound to be a reaction the first game, but if good form had continued would the hostility? As you say, if we were still 2nd of firmly in the play-offs now, would we even care anymore? Probably not

I think our dislike of him is more based in the bitterness of his successor not succeeding (so far) rather than what he actually did.

You can have a go at Buckingham for a lot but not peoples reaction to Manning leaving, as said above it was at his most hostile at the Leyton Orient game pre him arriving. You two don't want Buckingham here, fair enough but trying to get everything back to that is a bit ridiculous, people don't like Manning because he walked out on us during the season, got f**k all to do with Buckingham.

There was bound to be a reaction the first game, but if good form had continued would the hostility? As you say, if we were still 2nd of firmly in the play-offs now, would we even care anymore? Probably not

I think our dislike of him is more based in the bitterness of his successor not succeeding (so far) rather than what he actually did.
Maybe, but I've been checking every Bristol City result since he left, so my hatred is pretty consistent 😂

But then again, I must be the only person still doing the Mickey Mouse cup boycott so perhaps I just hold a grudge!

Why do you and Dick feel the need to constantly tell others how everyone is feeling?

Maybe, but I've been checking every Bristol City result since he left, so my hatred is pretty consistent 😂

But then again, I must be the only person still doing the Mickey Mouse cup boycott so perhaps I just hold a grudge!

They seemed happy enough with him when he drew at West Ham, beat West Ham, drew with Forest, won at Middlesbrough and ended Southampton's 20 plus games unbeaten run in the space of a few weeks in January and February. He's only been there since November and we are only in first week of March now so I'd suggest your 'consistent hatred' argument isn't as consistent as you think.

Of course we would, that Orient game was one of the most bitter and fired up away ends I've ever been in, and rightly so.

If we had drawn Bristol City in the FA cup, would he get dogs abuse regardless of how well we were playing? I think the answer is pretty clear.

He's a snake and selfish bastard for the way he left, it has absolutely nothing to do with Buckingham. To try and spin it to suggest that the hostility is only a result of what Buckingham has done so far is painfully out of touch and further suggests your (boring) agenda against him. Being a contrarian all the time is only a good look if you manage to bring up fair and reasonable points in doing so.

You can have a go at Buckingham for a lot but not peoples reaction to Manning leaving, as said above it was at his most hostile at the Leyton Orient game pre him arriving. You two don't want Buckingham here, fair enough but trying to get everything back to that is a bit ridiculous, people don't like Manning because he walked out on us during the season, got f**k all to do with Buckingham.
Do you think we would still be talking about Manning in the way we are if we were still in the top 2 today?

They seemed happy enough with him when he drew at West Ham, beat West Ham, drew with Forest, won at Middlesbrough and ended Southampton's 20 plus games unbeaten run in the space of a few weeks in January and February. He's only been there since November and we are only in first week of March now so I'd suggest your 'consistent hatred' argument isn't as consistent as you think.

Are you suggesting they should give a new manager a reasonable chance?

I was talking about my own feelings towards him.

I trust you'll be making a similar argument in favour of Buckingham in the Buckingham thread, given both clubs have had very similar records since they arrived at their clubs.

I've never had an issue with people looking out for theirs and their families future, and Manning is undoubtedly earning more at Bristol City than he was with us.

However there are gambles with all of these decisions, and if he is sacked in the next few weeks he might struggle to get another job any time soon. £750k (or whatever he is on) may sound lovely at the time, but it's not so great if he fails to pick up a decent job again. Being sacked twice and walking out on a job as he did doesn't look great on a CV that is not even 3 years old yet.
You forgot he has one relegation on his CV as well.

Back
Top Bottom