EPL Premier League competitive and sustainable deal with the EFL

Steve Gilbert

So a group of premier league clubs voted against doing a deal with the EFL to make football more sustainable and to help keep the football pyramid as it is.
You could maybe understand clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to vote against it because they won’t care about the EFL (they showed this with the European super league) but out of 10 clubs that voted against it, 6 of them have all been in the EFL in recent years!!
The 10 clubs are:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Spurs
Bournemouth
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
West Ham
Aston Villa
Crystal Palace

At the same time some of these clubs are happy to put their U21’s in the EFL trophy to help with player development!!

I am now at the stage where I hope they get their European super league so the rest of us can get on with following proper football.

So a group of premier league clubs voted against doing a deal with the EFL to make football more sustainable and to help keep the football pyramid as it is.
You could maybe understand clubs like Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs to vote against it because they won’t care about the EFL (they showed this with the European super league) but out of 10 clubs that voted against it, 6 of them have all been in the EFL in recent years!!
The 10 clubs are:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Spurs
Bournemouth
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
West Ham
Aston Villa
Crystal Palace

At the same time some of these clubs are happy to put their U21’s in the EFL trophy to help with player development!!

I am now at the stage where I hope they get their European super league so the rest of us can get on with following proper football.
I don't think they were voting against the deal as such, more about the split of who is paying the money. The big 6 want the money paid equally by the 20 teams, whereas others want the big 6 to put more into the pot as they are earning more from European football.

It is certainly an undignified squabble all round. It'll go to the independent regulator, first test of teeth for them.

Reading the reporting of the Football Governance Bill, it wasn't surprising which clubs and leagues were supporting or objecting to elements of the legislation, but the funniest comments came from David O'Sullivan, who said, without any sense of irony or seemingly knowledge of the wider football world:

"West Ham owner David Sullivan told Sky Sports: "The Premier League is the best league in the world so why change a winning formula?

"I hope the government don't wreck something that works. If over the coming seasons the Premier League ceases to be the best league in the world, it will be down to an interfering government."

He added: "Between the 20 clubs there is almost £2bn of debt, so there isn't really 'available cash' to give away."

Says it all really!

Reading the reporting of the Football Governance Bill, it wasn't surprising which clubs and leagues were supporting or objecting to elements of the legislation, but the funniest comments came from David O'Sullivan, who said, without any sense of irony or seemingly knowledge of the wider football world:

"West Ham owner David Sullivan told Sky Sports: "The Premier League is the best league in the world so why change a winning formula?

"I hope the government don't wreck something that works. If over the coming seasons the Premier League ceases to be the best league in the world, it will be down to an interfering government."

He added: "Between the 20 clubs there is almost £2bn of debt, so there isn't really 'available cash' to give away."

Says it all really!
'There's no cash to give away' says the owner of a club who paid £17.5 million and a reported £65k a week + bonuses for a man who's played a grand total of 104 minutes of Premier League football this season (Cornet).

The 10 clubs are:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Spurs
Bournemouth
Nottingham Forest
Wolves
West Ham
Aston Villa
Crystal Palace

The Champions League is already biased towards the big clubs getting through the group stages as seen by this season's quarter finalists.
Arsenal - Bayern Munich
Real Madrid - Manchester City
Atlético Madrid - Borussia Dortmund
Paris Saint Germain - Barcelona

It will be even more biased next year when the Swiss model is started.

Ah yes a "regulator"........... how have those ever turned out?
OFGEM, OFWAT, OFSTED, etc etc
And they have even created their own regulators network.
They don`t have any teeth and rarely deliver anything tangible.

Still the Crouch report is delivering what it thinks we want, a regulator at the top and "supporters panels" at the bottom.......games gone.

Back
Top Bottom