Fan's View Karl Robinson

I have to say I was dubious about KR when he first came to the club, but he has won me over.
About a year ago he was on Radox with his wife talking about mental illness and he came over really well and you got a real inside of the man
He watches youth football, the ladies team and turns up at events of his own free will,thinking of the Downs Children event here.
He conducts himself well and never has a bad word for other managers.
I don’t care if we don’t make the playoffs I know we are in safe hands and eventually we will get there.
What he has done for this club is immense, I know he won’t be in the Arthur Turner or Jim Smith category (yet) but I think he’s done a good a job as Michael Appleton and Chris Wilder but without the promotion to show for it

I have to say I was dubious about KR when he first came to the club, but he has won me over.
About a year ago he was on Radox with his wife talking about mental illness and he came over really well and you got a real inside of the man
He watches youth football, the ladies team and turns up at events of his own free will,thinking of the Downs Children event here.
He conducts himself well and never has a bad word for other managers.
I don’t care if we don’t make the playoffs I know we are in safe hands and eventually we will get there.
What he has done for this club is immense, I know he won’t be in the Arthur Turner or Jim Smith category (yet) but I think he’s done a good a job as Michael Appleton and Chris Wilder but without the promotion to show for it
I have to agree with much of this. KR frustrates the hell out of me with his transfer window idiocies, and sometimes with his tactics, but at heart he is a good man with a real passion for Oxford United. We may not be able to understand, in his less lucid moments, what he is actually saying, but you can be sure he MEANS well. He moves into the “Michael Appleton category “ when he realises his defensive purchases have been a real issue, and does something about it.

I have to agree with much of this. KR frustrates the hell out of me with his transfer window idiocies, and sometimes with his tactics, but at heart he is a good man with a real passion for Oxford United. We may not be able to understand, in his less lucid moments, what he is actually saying, but you can be sure he MEANS well. He moves into the “Michael Appleton category “ when he realises his defensive purchases have been a real issue, and does something about it.
He goes ahead of MAPP if he gets us promotion whether we outscored teams in high scoring games or he improves the defence.
Incidentally, Atkinson, Moore, McNally ( and the first manager who used Long regularly) plus Gorrin have all been purchased by KR

It's not the quality of KR's defensive purchases that are the problem - it's the number of them!

But yeah, in my book he's already equalled Appleton & Wilder in his achievements if he leads us to the playoffs this season, regardless of how we do.
To me, three consecutive top six finishes in the third tier equals one 4th/5th tier promotion followed by consolidation.

But he actually has to win promotion from this tier if he's going to match Denis Smith Mk. 1.
I still don't believe that this team is quite as complete as that one. Probably matches it as an attacking force (even if noone has the individual attacking brilliance of Joey) but the 95/96 team was way better defensively. Conceded fewer goals all season than we have already to this point in this one!

It's not the quality of KR's defensive purchases that are the problem - it's the number of them!

But yeah, in my book he's already equalled Appleton & Wilder in his achievements if he leads us to the playoffs this season, regardless of how we do.
To me, three consecutive top six finishes in the third tier equals one 4th/5th tier promotion followed by consolidation.

But he actually has to win promotion from this tier if he's going to match Denis Smith Mk. 1.
I still don't believe that this team is quite as complete as that one. Probably matches it as an attacking force (even if noone has the individual attacking brilliance of Joey) but the 95/96 team was way better defensively. Conceded fewer goals all season than we have already to this point in this one!

Not one of our defensive players now would get into the 96 promotion team for me, they are not bad players but if we go up it will be a hell of an achievement with this defence and the lack of cover for it.

Fun to watch though.

Tsk, That didnt last long Mr im gonna grab the popcorn and go with the flow... 😂

KR gets a 9/10* for me, 7+ as a coach and 1+ for all the stuff he does off the pitch and i would have
said that before this last week.

There is saying that goes:
Show me who your friends are and i`ll show you who you are.
With a slight tweak:
Show me who your players are and i`ll show you what kind of manager you are.

Not one knob head, all of our players are a credit to the club and its a pleasure
to watch them both on the field and when they are interviewed. Good people and
credit to KR for that. I really hope that if we just miss out on the playoffs that
people don`t start calling for his head, imo he has a lot of credit in the bank and
i`m looking forward to the seeing him at the helm for a while yet.

* No one gets a 10/10 not even people like Guardiola or Klopp or me on CM that
won the CL with Jamie Slabber up front and Eddie Hutchinson on the bench.

I can’t agree.

He’s been our best manager in my lifetime in terms of off the field issues.

But in terms of on it, he needs a promotion.

Till then he can’t out do Appleton & Wilder.

I can’t agree.

Considering the size of the teams we are up against, it seems season after season, I think three successive play offs in L1 would outstrip both a L2 and Conference promotion. Remember too that he also saved us from relegation when he first arrived. I think his recruitment has generally been excellent and probably no more than a handful of poor signings. He’s also given us a very clear identity, something you’d probably expect given the length of his tenure so far, and it feels like everything is primed for that final piece of the jigsaw to fall into place this season or next.

Considering the size of the teams we are up against, it seems season after season, I think three successive play offs in L1 would outstrip both a L2 and Conference promotion. Remember too that he also saved us from relegation when he first arrived. I think his recruitment has generally been excellent and probably no more than a handful of poor signings. He’s also given us a very clear identity, something you’d probably expect given the length of his tenure so far, and it feels like everything is primed for that final piece of the jigsaw to fall into place this season or next.

Whilst a lot of that is true he will need a promotion to cement his legacy otherwise there will become a point in the next few years it becomes very stale.

Similar to how it ended for C.Wilder.

I can’t agree.

I think he has outdone Appleton.
Look - I loved watching his teams play, and we were amazing in 2015/16.
But although we had stagnated, we were already an upper midtable League Two team when MApp took over (we actually finished 8th the year before he took the reigns).
And League Two is the easiest league to get promoted from - four spots, and in 2015/16, there was only one team (Pompey) that was clearly financially bigger than us, with greater resources.....and they were still trying to dig themselves out of a deep financial hole.

League One is a much tougher league, with fewer promotion spots, and we are competing with some teams with serious financial muscle. If we can hold on this year, then Top 6 in that league for three years running is an outstanding achievement.

I can see the argument that he needs a promotion to outstrip Wilder's legacy though......simply because of the incredibly low ebb we were at when CW took over. Plus how tough it is to get out of the conference when there's only one automatic spot, and how damned important it was to get back into the football league.

Many of us had reservations early on, but the effort and way he conducts himself in terms of all things OUFC, and the community, makes him a leader in my view. Just needs to buy some full backs next time in the transfer window and he could then become the Messiah!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom