The Karl Robinson years at OUFC are difficult to analyse.

It was always a standing joke for myself and Mrs Lounger, we'd turn to each other and say "oh good, a corner, we're good at corners" invariably we would get nothing from the set piece. That has improved a little with some free kick scenarios but it's still far too little.
Like wise, defending set pieces sees the team almost switch off. Example, free kick recently where the wall is set up, Easty moves away, the wall are not watching the kicker who moves the ball a foot to one side thus opening up a gap into which the ball flew - goal. Surely, that's on the basic side of football? - Be alert -

i get your point but if an opponent has moved the ball that's the officials job to ensure it's taken in the correct place, it's not difficult now they spray where the ball should be and where the defenders need to be.

Example, free kick recently where the wall is set up, Easty moves away, the wall are not watching the kicker who moves the ball a foot to one side thus opening up a gap into which the ball flew - goal.
Interestingly, if you watch that back, we had Moore and Dickie at either end of the wall. They actually turned the wall into a bit of a rugby post due to their height with guys half a foot shorter in the middle. I remember saying to my brother at the time, “We’ve given the bloke a target to put the ball through”. I can’t recall if he went over the wall or around the edge of it, but none the less, it was very odd creating a situation where he had two posts to essentially place the ball between for a guaranteed shot on target.

Back
Top Bottom