Ex Player John Mousinho

One of my favourite away days and they always bring a good crowd to Oxford. So if we go up, I'd like them to go up as well. Other than that, I'm not bothered by them. I would have preferred Mous' to have gone to a club in a different division to us, as he seems a good guy, but I don't want him to do well at our expense.

I'll openly criticise the FL but this is a Ref/FA thing isn't it?
Yes it is: a whole range of ‘new’ rules including:

Forcing managers to attend a pre-match briefing with referee before kick off (previously some would complain they were too busy picking the side etc, and would send a minnion along).

Big fines and bans for any player starting a mass confrontation on the pitch.

No one allowed to speak to the ref or their assistants at half or full time (as a ref and former coach, I’d prefer to see referees being asked to debrief their decisions with both managers an hour after a game to explain any contentious issues).

Points deductions in the lower pyramid leagues for any second offence by a team with regard to assaulting or threatening a ref. On one hand, one offence is far too much and maybe clubs ought to be removed from the league for repeat offences, but equally there are certain teams I’ve officiated who coach their players to get in a ref’s face and question every throw-in decision, so I can see a few clubs falling foul of this now. Referees are trialling bodycams in some leagues.

Above all though, I feel showing officials and the game respect must begin at the top, in the PL, as too many kids and grassroots players are emulating bad behaviour they see on TV. I’m a big fan of Klopp but I’d prefer to see a short bungee rope attached to him so he can’t go far from his seat as I think his over-enthusiasm goes too far too often.

I still like him. Obvs he wants our challenge to fall away.

Never quite got the love in for Mousinho? Was decent for a spell but wouldn't get anywhere near a list of legends or best players, we never a achieved a promotion in his time here, we have had a lot of players play at a higher level for us, he only played 180 something games so not up there amongst the players who have played the most for us. He has been gone for 9 months, manages a club in the same division fighting us for promotion, I am a bit bemused by people wanting him to do well even though its directly against us and he admits he would like to see us falter.

Never quite got the love in for Mousinho? Was decent for a spell but wouldn't get anywhere near a list of legends or best players, we never a achieved a promotion in his time here, we have had a lot of players play at a higher level for us, he only played 180 something games so not up there amongst the players who have played the most for us. He has been gone for 9 months, manages a club in the same division fighting us for promotion, I am a bit bemused by people wanting him to do well even though its directly against us and he admits he would like to see us falter.
I didn’t not want him do well, until now…

I and many others like him because he came over so well in interviews - seemed really articulate and intelligent, and nice too. However he's moved on now. I'd look out for his results and wish him well when his team isn't in conflict with ours, I think lots would. But I want Pompey to falter as well, of course I do.

So up until now you wanted him and by Pompey to do well?
Seems a perfectly sensible thing for him to say seeing as he has Pompey as his first interest.
Of course I wanted us to do better than Pompey, but some fans were quite happy for them to do better than us!

I didn’t not want him to do well, but of course wanted us to do better.

He didn’t have to say that comment. Kicking his former club when they are down.

But over the last week we’ve realised again that there is no loyalty in football.

I and many others like him because he came over so well in interviews - seemed really articulate and intelligent, and nice too. However he's moved on now. I'd look out for his results and wish him well when his team isn't in conflict with ours, I think lots would. But I want Pompey to falter as well, of course I do.

Ok, seems a bit over the top just because the bloke could string a sentence together in an interview but who am I am to judge.

Just as when a player leaves a club and then returns and scores and celebrates, lacks class, it does so even more when a former player and chairman of the PFA, now a manager of a competing club tries to make capital out of his former club's misfortune. We kept him registered to play when there was little chance of him doing so just so that he could fulfil the requirement to be the PFA chairman and this is how he repays us. He could and should have not commented at all. In my view that makes him no better than Manning. A plague on both their houses.

Just as when a player leaves a club and then returns and scores and celebrates, lacks class
Couldn’t disagree more. Can’t stand that. Players should celebrate scoring no matter who the opponent. It’s their job and they’re paid to do it. Goading or ‘over celebrating’ is perhaps a different matter, ie purposefully shithousing people off undeservedly, but I can’t stand it when a player scores against a club they were at for five minutes and puts their hands up as though they’re apologising. Even if a player was at a club for a number of years, they shouldn’t be afraid to run towards their own fans in celebration.

Comfortably my least favourite thing about modern football culture.

Why?

He didn’t need to say what he did. 🐍 #2.

Kicking his former club who stood by him, helped him get his badges and waste a playing wage by being player-coach.
If we fall away, it’s less danger for them. What do you expect him to say, “I want Oxford to finish top”?
He’s paid by Pompey!

Just as when a player leaves a club and then returns and scores and celebrates, lacks class, it does so even more when a former player and chairman of the PFA, now a manager of a competing club tries to make capital out of his former club's misfortune. We kept him registered to play when there was little chance of him doing so just so that he could fulfil the requirement to be the PFA chairman and this is how he repays us. He could and should have not commented at all. In my view that makes him no better than Manning. A plague on both their houses.
Christ alive some football fans are precious. He's paid by Portsmouth and got asked a question about how something would affect Portsmouth. Grow up.

Also the whole "we let him be registered as a player so he could be chairman" wasn't some grand act of charity on our behalf, we completely biffed putting a squad together and needed him. He was our player of the month just over a year ago.

Can Tim Lovejoy still be considered modern football though?

Probably not, but I hold him responsible for introducing 'bants'.

That may not have even been him. It probably wasn't. I just find him annoying.

And Sunday Brunch is absolute s**t.

Back
Top Bottom