General Jan transfer window

Again I’d prefer to be in the championship rather than league 1 ok unless you get to the premiership the cost of improving the squad wages would way out score the income but if we keep to are league 1 budget get promoted season ticket prices will increase as well as the season ticket numbers increasing attendances making us more attractive to the released prem academy players Scottish Irish league 2 etc ok will probably get relegated again but will automatically be more equipped to go back up again with more dollor in the bank and better players to sell and make a profit. Ok I get all this will probably not happen but it could work and will support the argument that Zaki and tiger should with the right plan want to get promoted
Also it would help the push the “oxford” brand internationally as they keep saying they want to do

Last looked at this thread on Friday. Without wading through the 18 pages that followed, my view (because we all have one) is that it's not the two players we've lost that will cost us a top six finish, it's the failure to sign another decent striker.

I'd now be extremely grateful if OUFC would go and prove me wrong. Very happy to eat humble pie if it means promotion or a play-off shot at it.

Last looked at this thread on Friday. Without wading through the 18 pages that followed, my view (because we all have one) is that it's not the two players we've lost that will cost us a top six finish, it's the failure to sign another decent striker.

I'd now be extremely grateful if OUFC would go and prove me wrong. Very happy to eat humble pie if it means promotion or a play-off shot at it.
Marcus Browne.

Luton don’t seem to have made many signings and are consequently bottom, though they will probably be enriched by their season in the championship, as you say . Bet we’ve enjoyed our season more than they have though.
An interesting situation at Luton. Got promoted sold two defenders James Justin and Jack Stacey for £10,04 million in the close season and brought a goalkeeper for £1,53 million. Presumably the £8,51 million surplus went towards the wages for the five free transfer players that came in. Expensive business being in the Championship. I do think the change of manager has not helped them as a team

You can't go from no players will leave to we knew they were going so hence holland Browne etc so which is it?

so Gavin Whyte leaves and suddenly we get incomings which we're asked to believe were coming anyway and we were in a far bigger financial mess then

Fosu and Baptiste we are now asked by some to believe were already known to be going so we signed some in advance but we could not get the Rb and striker needed and wanted by our manager.

so we got the replacements for the 2 going well in advance but never got the other 2 needed over the line just unlucky i guess or some rivals got very lucky.
Did oufc say no players would leave?

To be a mid table team you require a budget of 14m a year. Luton are doing as Norwich are in the premiership...entirely sensible and cements their status gradually rather than collapsing down the league after a failed championship attempt

Why are you so doubtful that the goals will not come from the rest of the team which it did in exceptional numbers in the first half of the season? If Mackie scores less it won't affect things too much!

To be a mid table team you require a budget of 14m a year. Luton are doing as Norwich are in the premiership...entirely sensible and cements their status gradually rather than collapsing down the league after a failed championship attempt
Normally you are probably right.
But Huddersfield went up with the second lowest budget in the Division.
I am suspecting that Brentford have nowhere near the 5th highest budget in the Championship.
Great management, recruitment and youngsters coming through still have an influence.

Did oufc say no players would leave?

nope we're making it up as we go along just to keep being negative.

it matters not now it's past, some have one view whilst others have a different one.

You have to feel for Robbo having to come out and try defend the boards choice and like he said if only it was 2 weeks before eh !

Why are you so doubtful that the goals will not come from the rest of the team which it did in exceptional numbers in the first half of the season? If Mackie scores less it won't affect things too much!

Don't know - just a concern I guess. I always think that having a proven central striker on the pitch seems to make it easier for others to chip in (ok Spain were exceptional). The successful oxford teams over my 45 years of watching them always had a talisman striker and a back up of sorts.

Normally you are probably right.
But Huddersfield went up with the second lowest budget in the Division.
I am suspecting that Brentford have nowhere near the 5th highest budget in the Championship.
Great management, recruitment and youngsters coming through still have an influence.
And Brentford have a very young squad

An interesting situation at Luton. Got promoted sold two defenders James Justin and Jack Stacey for £10,04 million in the close season and brought a goalkeeper for £1,53 million. Presumably the £8,51 million surplus went towards the wages for the five free transfer players that came in. Expensive business being in the Championship. I do think the change of manager has not helped them as a team
Didnt Luton get two promotions in a row ?which might point to another reason they are down the bottom of the Championship.

Don't know - just a concern I guess. I always think that having a proven central striker on the pitch seems to make it easier for others to chip in (ok Spain were exceptional). The successful oxford teams over my 45 years of watching them always had a talisman striker and a back up of sorts.
I agree.
Is there less good strikers around nowadays? Or has the game changed? as
I agree!
As the game is changing, are managers due to there tactics reducing the chances of 'strikers' getting 20 goals a season. Are they now expected to more elsewhere on the pitch?

It was striking that Blackpool had two old skool strikers who did well, whereas we don’t really play that way

Some supporters on here need to consider the bigger picture:
This is the best squad of players we’ve had in the last 20 years, we have a very good chance of making the play offs, our scouting setup has been exceptional for at least 5 years, our crowds are as high as they’ve been in 20 years, we are matching premier league teams on the field, we are playing some of the best football I can remember since 1996 (not one long ball against Newcastle). We have great training facilities, young exciting players want to come and play for us, and MOST importantly watching Oxford is actually enjoyable.....!
I am convinced that the squad we have is good enough to get us promoted this year, and also perform well in the Championship. Of course we have to sell a player or two every year: we are a small football club having to pay rent to a crook, possibly also punching above its weight. Look at some of the other teams in and around us.
It’s all about sustained growth and gradual improvement every year, in all areas, not just on the pitch. I see improvement every year since Promotion back into the football league. Tiger and KR both have passion, real passion that can’t be faked. Its contagious. I’ve got a feeling that if we all buy into it, then good times are ahead. Especially so once we own our own ground.
Why is it such a worry to some on here that we don’t have RB cover. If an injury does happen, I’m sure we’ll find a decent free agent to cover the position. I have faith in Long. Let’s cross that bridge if/when we need to. We don’t need another striker, there are enough goals in the current squad to get us to the play offs.
The key focus should be passion and positivity, starting tomorrow night.

I agree.
Is there less good strikers around nowadays? Or has the game changed? as
I agree!
As the game is changing, are managers due to there tactics reducing the chances of 'strikers' getting 20 goals a season. Are they now expected to more elsewhere on the pitch?

We could discuss those points for the next 10 pages!

Back
Top Bottom