General Jan transfer window

It was striking that Blackpool had two old skool strikers who did well, whereas we don’t really play that way

Interestingly, the Blackpool fans' comments I've read generally don't think they can play together very well as they are too similar in style and it means they have a lack of pace up top.

I really cannot get my head around the fall out from the Baptiste and Fosu transfers. The owners have always been very transparent in the way we operate. The managers has always alluded to ithe’s said he uses it as a selling point to attract players that they can basically use us a stepping stone to further greatness.

The fans have always been made aware that this is how we do business. What is the problem ? I’ve certainly never heard our owners say that every penny made on transfers can be reinvested in the playing side. We are three players better off in this window and two, Browne and Holland, are arguably better replacements than two, Fosu and Hall, who have left.

Only a fool would argue that a fee ultimately rising to upwards of £3m for Baptiste, a player with a flakey injury record and 30 or 40 L1 appearances, isn’t good business.

I really cannot get my head around the fall out from the Baptiste and Fosu transfers. The owners have always been very transparent in the way we operate. The managers has always alluded to ithe’s said he uses it as a selling point to attract players that they can basically use us a stepping stone to further greatness.

The fans have always been made aware that this is how we do business. What is the problem ? I’ve certainly never heard our owners say that every penny made on transfers can be reinvested in the playing side. We are three players better off in this window and two, Browne and Holland, are arguably better replacements than two, Fosu and Hall, who have left.

Only a fool would argue that a fee ultimately rising to upwards of £3m for Baptiste, a player with a flakey injury record and 30 or 40 L1 appearances, isn’t good business.
I don't think many fans have an issue with the Batiste and Fosu transfer, I think the only issue for the club is the timing as KR said it didn't give him time to get replacements (so the previous incomings we not direct replacements), there's more the frustration of the not having to sell comment before the window, then Zaki saying after the transfers it was for operational costs, there's also the issue of not getting the two biggest targets of a striker and RB there might of been money available, but again it didn't happen this time.

I don't think many fans have an issue with the Batiste and Fosu transfer, I think the only issue for the club is the timing as KR said it didn't give him time to get replacements (so the previous incomings we not direct replacements), there's more the frustration of the not having to sell comment before the window, then Zaki saying after the transfers it was for operational costs, there's also the issue of not getting the two biggest targets of a striker and RB there might of been money available, but again it didn't happen this time.
Anyone will understand that we are a small-medium club, and that as such, we will always need to sell. It's just where you sit in the football food chain. Actually, you could argue that all bar 6-8 clubs in Britain are 'selling' clubs. The issue I have with the Baptiste transfer (I accept that Fosu is a different matter) is the timing of it all. Why sell one of your better players for 2-3M (whatever the number is) when you are pushing for promotion- and on deadline day, when you have not chance of getting 1-2 players in? The only way this makes any sort of sense is because it is a cashflow issue- which is exactly what I have been concerned about from day one. If we were genuinely having a go at promotion, then you refuse to sell Baptiste now, but then- if you don't go up- he is sold in the Summer. And if his value has gone down in 12 weeks, sell Dickie or Brannagan. It's not complicated- and given that we have 750K in the bank from Fosu, then presumably (?), that covers any financial shortfall between now and the end of the season. I don't have an an issue with the sale per se, but I have huge doubts about why he was sold at that particular time. If you genuinely hope to get promoted this season, you don't do what we have just done.....

The only way this makes any sort of sense is because it is a cashflow issue

That's not the only way it makes sense though.

It is the way transfer windows work. I would estimate that 70% of deals during January went through in the last week. As many others have said, we had already covered the players going out with business we had done earlier.

We made offers for at least 3 right backs, but then it was felt that in Long and Forde we have better options in the club than those we were looking at. The striker position is more difficult simply because no one was selling. Name one striker that moved in this window that we should have got? Or one that didn't move? It's easy to bang on about getting players in, but very much harder to find the player who will improve on what we have.

Our operating losses are around £3m a season. Fosu and the cup run cover half of that. It still leaves a big hole in the finances, especially when you add in the cost of arbitration and the training ground.

As disappointing as the sales were, it makes business sense and keeps us more sustainable for the future. Rather than seeing it as some sort of financial panic, it is actually a sign that our club is being managed properly and isn't just a train set to toy with promotion and then discard (Sunderland?!).

Just thinking about the Baptiste transfer ( we supposedly had a number of offers)
His injury record must mean that clubs are not prepared to pay significant amounts upfront (he has had what 3 serious injuries in the past 3 years or so)
So the add ons ( presumably most based on number of games played) makes sense for any buying side?

is Ricardinho a free agent? if Forde and Hanson can cover rb, and Berkoe is out on loan then we’re only really short on cover for Ruffels.
or can Moore play at lb?

My feelings on the Shandon/Tariq transfer are that the board have not disclosed how much they went for. So people are rightly upset, has Shannon gone for peanuts because of his injury history or has he gone for a decent amount?
The board will sell players to keep the club afloat, we understand that, we’re Oxford, it’s always been that way, but we do like to know what’s going on.

It is the way transfer windows work. I would estimate that 70% of deals during January went through in the last week. As many others have said, we had already covered the players going out with business we had done earlier.
"many have said" and who might that be? posters on here.
KR vented his frustration of the timing of the deals that gave him no time to get replacements in, that's on record. Stop spinning things.

We made offers for at least 3 right backs, but then it was felt that in Long and Forde we have better options in the club than those we were looking at. The striker position is more difficult simply because no one was selling. Name one striker that moved in this window that we should have got? Or one that didn't move? It's easy to bang on about getting players in, but very much harder to find the player who will improve on what we have.

Our operating losses are around £3m a season. Fosu and the cup run cover half of that. It still leaves a big hole in the finances, especially when you add in the cost of arbitration and the training ground.

As disappointing as the sales were, it makes business sense and keeps us more sustainable for the future. Rather than seeing it as some sort of financial panic, it is actually a sign that our club is being managed properly and isn't just a train set to toy with promotion and then discard (Sunderland?!).
It (cash flow) is the only way it makes sense.
If we genuinely had promotion aspirations, you do not sell one of your best players in January- on the last day of the transfer window.
Especially as the club could have got 2-3M in 12 weeks time for Baptiste or Brannigan and/or Dickie.
It's absolutely not a sign that the club is being 'properly managed'- it's actually a sign that we are grabbing cash whenever we can, without seeing the 'bigger picture'- i.e. that we are in with a good chance of getting promoted, which is presumably (?) what the Board want...

"many have said" and who might that be? posters on here.
KR vented his frustration of the timing of the deals that gave him no time to get replacements in, that's on record. Stop spinning things.

If it's in record then feel free to quote it.

We sold a left winger and centre midfielder. We were looking to bring in a right back and striker. They were NOT replacements!!!!

It (cash flow) is the only way it makes sense.
If we genuinely had promotion aspirations, you do not sell one of your best players in January- on the last day of the transfer window.
Especially as the club could have got 2-3M in 12 weeks time for Baptiste or Brannigan and/or Dickie.
It's absolutely not a sign that the club is being 'properly managed'- it's actually a sign that we are grabbing cash whenever we can, without seeing the 'bigger picture'- i.e. that we are in with a good chance of getting promoted, which is presumably (?) what the Board want...

What was our chances of promotion with Fosu and Baptiste?

What are our chances without them but with Holland, Browne and Kelly instead?

Because I would argue that we are actually stronger as a result and we will finish top 6. So we still have genuine aspirations for promotion, unlike some on here who appear to have given up already.

What was our chances of promotion with Fosu and Baptiste?

What are our chances without them but with Holland, Browne and Kelly instead?

Because I would argue that we are actually stronger as a result and we will finish top 6. So we still have genuine aspirations for promotion, unlike some on here who appear to have given up already.
Look at this way.
Have we improved our chances of getting promotion by selling Baptiste?
The answer is no, obviously.
So why do it on the last day of the transfer window? When you could have realised that asset in 12 weeks or so?
There can only be one logical reason- cashflow.
And I would dispute your version of the business model.
It's not to sell our better players, and stuff the squad with a bunch of loanees.
But I suspect we will have to agree to disagree, so I will leave it there!

how many times are you moving the Goalposts in one thread !!! You said before we Postponed Matty Taylor signing to prioritize a Rb and a striker, now your saying we made 3 offers for rb's then decided that Long and Forde were better options (you never once mentioned forde but conveniently do now Robbo stated so) So why did we make offers then and in the case of 2 of them i thought it was down to location?... so which of the following is correct

1) we offered 200k for a Rb that never wanted to come

2) we just made an offer and hoped he said no because we felt Long and Forde are better ????

3) we never made any offers because Long and Forbe are thought to be better

If it's in record then feel free to quote it.

We sold a left winger and centre midfielder. We were looking to bring in a right back and striker. They were NOT replacements!!!!
I do wonder about you sometimes if you actually read the posts.
KR said at the timing of the deal for baptist and Fosu that it gave him no time to get replacements in, nothing to do with a striker or RB that he was still chasing already.

Back
Top Bottom