General Jan transfer window

Why do you think we rushed at it? Need for money or just naïveté? I don’t believe the players were desperate to leave or the offers were fantastic
I know Fosu was looking for a move two months ago. The players WhatsApp group was sent a message that wasn’t intended for it by Fosu. Rest assured that he’s wanted the move for sometime.

Oh! I’ve just remembered Kevin Berkoe. He’s from TV team Wolves, maybe he will save us

Presumably he’s on a youth loan so can be recalled at the drop of a hat..?

Aside from that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kash Siddiqi recalled from loan and featuring on our bench before season’s end..! ?

Presumably he’s on a youth loan so can be recalled at the drop of a hat..?

Aside from that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kash Siddiqi recalled from loan and featuring on our bench before season’s end..! ?
Berkoe, Lofthouse and i think at least one other u23 on loan currently at oxford city

I don’t think the Grigg deal is dead just yet.
I know Fosu was looking for a move two months ago. The players WhatsApp group was sent a message that wasn’t intended for it by Fosu. Rest assured that he’s wanted the move for sometime.

I think it’s naive of us to think any player, bar a few, hasn’t got his eye on the next move. The likes of Henry who is 30, settled locally and with a three year deal won’t be interested in moving, nor Mousinho, but pretty much everyone else will approach a transfer window knowing - and perhaps hoping - they could be playing their last game for Oxford United.

I don’t think the Grigg deal is dead just yet.

Doesn’t help us a tremendous amount with a push for promotion now. And one hopes we’ll have better targets than Grigg come the summer, regardless of which division we (and Sunderland) are in.

Now that the dust has settled and the window slammed shut, I really don’t understand how we apparently had no plans for if something like this happened. We really, genuinely had no doomsday routine? We didn’t plan at all so that if somebody were to leave late in the window for big money, we would spring into action and have a shortlist of players and deals to frantically try to get done? The manager said publicly yesterday that what happened today would happen - he said almost certainly no players in and so it came to pass. Why so certain? Why so sure over 24 hours before the end of the window that nothing could be done? Clearly the decision had been made that we were all out. So why was that, when at the start of January we were second in the division and the bookies favourites to go up? I’m not suggesting going for broke or gambling recklessly, but why the hell wasn’t there even 500k in a pot when we know several million quids worth of deals are about to complete? Nothing? Seriously?

I am absolutely not advocating a panic signing mentality and am fully supportive of the idea that if you don’t think someone is up to it, you don’t waste the cash. That’s totally fine. But we have known for months that we would almost certainly need a right back, and another forward if Agyei had been deemed not up to it and Taylor has some sort of problem with playing too frequently. We didn’t learn this during the window, which lasted a full month regardless, but well before it even opened. So why couldn’t we get a single deal done in those areas? If we had five targets across two positions, that is ten players. How could we not get even one of them? We have bagged around half a million quid from cup games in the last couple of months alone, and sold players for a combined fee of some £5million since August. There isn’t enough money for a full back, no? Not even one of the very best in L2, in the same way that Championship clubs seem to enjoy raiding us so much? We have sold the silver and replaced those players with loans, but even then we are down in terms of overall numbers by going from two right backs to one. We replaced those we sold with short term loans, lost the right back we’d borrowed and besides that bought a non league defender who subsequently went straight back out for the season.

Anybody who wants to say that this lack of investment is about sustainability and how it’s for the good of the club’s future is forgetting the bit where you replace the cans that you remove from the pantry. Because if you don’t do that then there isn’t anything to sell later on. The whole point of the model is that you buy, develop, sell and replace. Selling is not the issue; not reinvesting in our own assets is. Especially when we also happen to be in the strongest position we’ve been in for over 20 years. Five million pounds in player sales alone, plus at least half a million more in cup monies, since the end of July and this is the result? It’s disappointing, plain and simple. Dickie and Brannagan will be into the final 12 months of their deals in the summer which means their fees won’t be half as big as people think - anyone expecting the £3m combined fee we got for Fosu and Baptiste for those two, if not more, is in for a big shock - and that is why replenishing the stock is so vital, and why the categorical failure to do this properly is negligent in the extreme. The lack of assets that we own if those two move on as expected is cause for concern. Not panic, before the usual happy clappers start talking about flapping and meltdowns - genuine concern. Concern based on perfectly reasonable, logical arguments. There is no tomorrow without today, after all. Future proofing cannot be done without an effective present, and we have not covered ourselves in glory.

However, the reality is that we are where we are, and now there is nothing to do but back the players we do have for the remaining fixtures. There is nothing to be done bar that anymore. Just because we have had what I personally consider to be a bit of a disappointing window in terms of pushing on as well as planning ahead, does not mean we cannot still do something this season. We all want that, no matter how many people seem to want to cause divides and split people into two camps marked ‘us’ and ‘them’. Everybody here is an Oxford United supporter and as such wants to see the team and club as a whole succeed, and will do everything they can between the beginning and the end of the games to help. The notion that anybody who ever says they don’t like something or think a wrong decision has been made, be it from the dugout or the boardroom, somehow wants to see us fail is moronic. Only imbeciles would think that, so it’s time to stop this “I am a true fan and you must hate it when we do well“ bullshit that flies over the fence. Everybody wants the best we can have for this football club, however they choose to express it versus anybody else, and for the next few months especially everybody should just get on with it. Then we can see what the summer brings, for better or worse.

Speaking of which, is it time to start the summer transfer thread yet?

Yep! And guess what? I'm managing to cope just fine without throwing my dolls out the pram like some on here!!

Even I couldn't say it's been a comfortable few days but we've still got as strong a squad as we've seen in years and a much healthier bank balance. We have definitely received more than the figures being banded around, but I know that most won't believe me. We also made some decent bids for players but can't force them to sign. The idea that Tiger is looking to pocket this cash, walk away or give up on promotion is simply not true. But again, believe what you wish.

We've had some dark dark days at our club, and this is no where near those times. Do we write this season off? Burn season tickets? Storm the boardroom? Don't be wet!!

I'll be there tomorrow, and Tuesday and to the end of the season support our club. And I honestly think that we'll still finish top 6 or better.

If you don't agree, that's your choice. But I ain't going anywhere so crack on with the negative shite. I'll be alone on the positive bus if you want me!!!! ??

No matter what you say now, this hasn’t quite turned out how you said it would be or made us believe it would be.

I’ll still be there tomorrow and Tuesday, but our chances of gaining promotion over the last few weeks have seriously been dented or should I say what you led us to believe.

How the f**k we didn’t strengthen at right back and up front is beyond me.

Yes we have a good team/squad, but it needed to be stronger/enhanced in priority positions which hasn’t been addressed.

Just disappointed again by the board.

Last edited:
I have thrown my season ticket in the bin tonight. After 25 years this board have snapped me. Although it makes zero difference this season, i fully intend to spend my saturdays elsewhere. And i will be persuading friends too.

This club is going nowhere.

Yep! And guess what? I'm managing to cope just fine without throwing my dolls out the pram like some on here!!

Even I couldn't say it's been a comfortable few days but we've still got as strong a squad as we've seen in years and a much healthier bank balance. We have definitely received more than the figures being banded around, but I know that most won't believe me. We also made some decent bids for players but can't force them to sign. The idea that Tiger is looking to pocket this cash, walk away or give up on promotion is simply not true. But again, believe what you wish.

We've had some dark dark days at our club, and this is no where near those times. Do we write this season off? Burn season tickets? Storm the boardroom? Don't be wet!!

I'll be there tomorrow, and Tuesday and to the end of the season support our club. And I honestly think that we'll still finish top 6 or better.

If you don't agree, that's your choice. But I ain't going anywhere so crack on with the negative shite. I'll be alone on the positive bus if you want me!!!! ??

it would be helpful if you could stop playing itk to be honest. The act is getting a little tiresome....sweeping statements in general terms plucking small seeds from radio interviews And nuggets on here and extrapolating in vague terms with definitive language. By all means be positive, I’m right behind that, but stop popping on here to try and get your dopamine hits. EC Yellow and GRB you are not.

Back
Top Bottom