General Jan transfer window

This is getting just like the summer.

"Come on Karl, we need a centre-back and a striker!", about 15 times a day.

We know what we need, add to the discussion by suggesting actual options (other than Yates, as that's been done to death).
Excuse me check back through this thread and see where I have been moaning

Seriously? Thorne is one of the best players to come through this club in recent years, despite his injury concerns. His current injury is not a recurrence of anything historic so I'm sure he will be back to fitness, very soon! Great signing in my opinion.

It will take 10 games to even get to match fitness.

It will take 10 games to even get to match fitness.
I understand he played 90 minutes on Tuesday and said in his OUFC interview that he is fit and has been for a little while. I do however take your point that fit is different to match fit.

I also like that the club are being extra diligent with his rehab. It also says a lot (to me at least) that George has chosen to stay with us at a cost to him, during a crucial time in his career. One wrong move could have physical repercussions that reverberate beyond his short career and into the rest of his life, post-football.

He was almost the forgotten man amongst some supporters which is mad, given his natural quality. The fact he signed today means he must have passed a medical after playing in the Southend trial on Tuesday. We, as a club, are no mugs in that area.

A fit George Thorne would walk into any side in our league and many in the championship. I was a big fan of George's while he was at Derby so to see him here is a bit of a wow to me. Can we get the George in the video below, out of him again? I believe we can.

2016 me would have never expected players like this at the club. I think we could all think for a sec and agree on that.

Also, by very soon, I mean I'd like him to see him feature at home against Sunderland. I would like to think all of our top boys bar Woodburn will be back in contention, by then.

The manager in me thinks that's been an indicative fitness target for a few of our longer term injuries.

Last edited:
Why do most teams only have 4 or 5 preseason games then? A few 20 minutes over the next few weeks and he'll be ready to go.

Still takes at least 5-10 games to get match fit, especially Thorne due to his injuries.

re; your comment, most teams are starting from the same position at the beginning of the season e.g. 4 or 5 friendlies, plus it‘s difficult to replicate a real game in preseason friendlies, so slightly different when talking about an individual who’s been out with a long term injury.

Additionally, most players have played 15+ games at this stage of the season, so they’re more up to speed in terms of MATCH fitness.

Last edited:
I understand he played 90 minutes on Tuesday and said in his OUFC interview that he is fit and has been for a little while. I do however take your point that fit is different to match fit.

I also like that the club are being extra diligent with his rehab. It also says a lot (to me at least) that George has chosen to stay with us at a cost to him, during a crucial time in his career. One wrong move could have physical repercussions that reverberate beyond his short career and into the rest of his life, post-football.

He was almost the forgotten man amongst some supporters which is mad, given his natural quality. The fact he signed today means he must have passed a medical after playing in the Southend trial on Tuesday. We, as a club, are no mugs in that area.

A fit George Thorne would walk into any side in our league and many in the championship. I was a big fan of George's while he was at Derby so to see him here is a bit wow to me. Can we get the George in the video below, out of him again? I believe we can.

2016 me would have never expected players like this at the club. I think we could all think for a sec and agree on that.

Also, by very soon, I mean I'd like him to see him feature at home against Sunderland. I would like to think all of our top boys bar Woodburn will be back in contention, by then.

The manager in me thinks that's been an indicative fitness target for a few of our longer term injuries.
Wow, that video is certainly a bit of an eye opener for me. I knew he had talent but some of the things on there were world class. The way he clicked through the gears surging forward reminded me of Gazza. He might have lost that with his injuries but he can also pick an amazing pass. Vision is something you dont lose with injury so he could play the ‘quarterback’ role. The midfield general alongside Branniga’s tenacity and energy and Gorrin sweeping up behind sounds good to me! Let’s all hope he has a lot more luck with injuries, the boot boys in this division will soon be targeting him.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Haven't heard that in a week, at least. Who do you think would be a good acquisition?

I honestly don't know...but I would like to think KR has at least one eye open for the prospect of Easty leaving (or indeed a better keeper than Easty).

Wow, that video is certainly a bit of an eye opener for me. I knew he had talent but some of the things on there were world class. The way he clicked through the gears surging forward reminded me of Gazza. He might have lost that with his injuries but he can also pick an amazing pass. Vision is something you dont lose with injury so he could play the ‘quarterback’ role. The midfield general alongside Branniga’s tenacity and energy and Gorrin sweeping up behind sounds good to me! Let’s all hope he has a lot more luck with injuries, the boot boys in this division will soon be targeting him.

Not saying he won’t be any good, but I’ll just say there’s probably great footage of Robbie Hall!

Back
Top Bottom