General Jan transfer window

Blackpool are doing buisness early. Fire up that fax machine deals do happen on a bank holiday.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Oh you forgot to credit him with his goal scoring ability.
Apparently that what strikers are meant to do.
It isnt quite that simple in today's football though is it?
Klopp said to Firminho earlier this season that he needn't worry about not scoring as he did so much more and was a vital cog of the team.

I f we sell Branningan and Baptiste I think we could kiss goodbye in being serious challengers they’re two very important parts of our team

Totally agree. I think this window is as much about keeping what we have. As much as who we sign.
It will be interesting though because it will show how ambitious we really are as a club.
I think it’s very important to push on even though we’re doing very well at the moment.

No disrespect to you or your "AFCW mate" but, if neither of you can see the value in Mackie's work rate, his distracting of defenders, his constant encouragement of team mates and his persistence with the officials then you are really missing a lot of what goes on, on the pitch (and off)
His "shithousery" is always mentioned but so much more goes on that assists the team.

Agreed. Mackie stops defences from playing the ball out quickly by running his legs off and hassling. They have to move the ball through their full back into an area of strength for us, or the play the ball through the middle where Gorrin, Bap and Bran are set up to deal with the ball and counter.

Mackie isn't just about goals, and thinking otherwise is shortsighted.

Last edited:
Completely agree. Running around a lot and being a nuisance aren't enough. At AFCW, my AFCW mate said there were two players obviously not at the level of the team overall. Rob Hall. And Mackie.
Mackie was one of the main reasons we stayed up last season. He’s approaching his sell by date, but I wouldn’t t be surprised if he got another year

Robinson will find a role for Mackie somewhere i imagine, even if its not solely as a player. Mackie and Mous are very influential characters, it would be great to see them as part of Robinsons coaching team as we rise up through the Championship next season.

Edit: And Im not advocating that they should hang their boots up any time soon. Far from it!

If you cannot see what Mackie does both on and off the pitch then you really should pay more attention.

He leads the line, Disrupts and antagonises defenders, pulls them out of position, holds it up, unsettles defenders into making basic mistakes and he won’t take no s**t!
This league has its fair share of cloggers and sometimes you have to go to war to win your right to play.
Mackie is that focal point.
The enforcer!
The team look to him - Mr Motivator - an inspiration to the players.
As long as we need someone prepared, as he is to work defences hard, then he should have a place in this squad.

Bournemouth are recalling Sam Surridge as he hasn’t been getting many starts overall at Swansea so might be worth another try if we are serious about promotion

Last edited:
Bournemouth are recalling Sam Surridge as he hasn’t been getting many starts overall at Swansea so might be worth another try if we are serious about promotion
I think its more that they need him back as theyre short up front.

Genuinely excited about this window.

Cannot believe some of the waffle on this thread.

Mackie has had a superb season and is an important factor behind our success. Like Gorrin he does the dog work but further up the pitch. Any successful team must have muck and nettles players.

I reckon Hall will get released though. It’s so sad because he’s got lots of ability. Injuries have done for him at this level.

Cannot believe some of the waffle on this thread.

Mackie has had a superb season and is an important factor behind our success. Like Gorrin he does the dog work but further up the pitch. Any successful team must have muck and nettles players.

I reckon Hall will get released though. It’s so sad because he’s got lots of ability. Injuries have done for him at this level.
He can’t be released as he’s under contract. He could be loaned out but I’m not sure who’d take him, he’s not going to be a short term fix for anyone.

• React
Reactions: Ian
He can’t be released as he’s under contract. He could be loaned out but I’m not sure who’d take him, he’s not going to be a short term fix for anyone.

if you think back we’ve had our fair share of Hall type loanees in the past so there’ll always be clubs out there willing to gamble. I suppose a bit like we did with Thorne.

if you think back we’ve had our fair share of Hall type loanees in the past so there’ll always be clubs out there willing to gamble. I suppose a bit like we did with Thorne.
True. Although Thorne was scuppered by another injury entirely different from the one he was recovering from. He was just extremely unlucky in sustaining another breakdown that has curtailed his stay. FWIW, he looked to be a hell of a player before his luck ran out. Perhaps we might see him here again at some point?

Last edited:
Blackpool are doing buisness early. Fire up that fax machine deals do happen on a bank holiday.
We should be as quick off the mark as Blackpool. KR said he was going to get some business done early. Three in the first week he quoted. Maybe we'll see a couple on the field for the FAcup game.

Back
Top Bottom