General Jan transfer window

It’s not the selling of the players I object to. Shandon is a fantastic young player who will play at PL level - if not with Brentford then his next club - assuming he can stay fit. And we’ve known about Fosu’s release fee so, as others have pointed out - not a lot that can be done.

My frustrations are firstly the timing. It’s crap. It hurts us enormously and I’m not buying those that have downplayed their contributions. Fosu’s form in the first half of the season was a big part of why we looked so good and got so high in the table. Baptiste makes goals and assist were a big part of us having a successful Xmas periods with wins and progress in the cups. He was just getting back to full form and fitness and would have contributed heaps more in the second half of the season.

To let Shandon go for what is, even according to the more optimistic of the guesstimates on here, just about market rate (or lower) with no time to adequately restock the squad is devastating and NOT the sign of a board who are chomping at the bit to get promoted.

Second frustration is the inbound business. We started this window needing an RB to replace Cadden, and a forward to help Taylor given that Mackie’s particular skill set doesn’t include goalscoring and clearly the manager thinks Agyei is one for next season. To end the window with some (admittedly extremely decent - but crucially only loaned) new midfield talent, no RB, no forward and the loss of Fosu and Baptiste for again - at best market rate is tough to swallow. All this assumes - as is reported currently - nothing happens by the way of incomings in the next few hours.

It has been decades since the Championship looked as close as it did over Christmas time. It may still happen. But a GOOD January window could have really brought it within reach. It may still happen, but barring any last gasp transfer window wheeler dealing miracles...it does feel further away (amplified by our recent stutter on the pitch too).

And all this is before a seemingly inevitable rebuild job again in the summer if/when Cam Bran and Dickie (plus Eastwood and insert any other ‘definitely leaving’ rumoured player name here) follow them through the exit door to a championship club which we ‘aspire’ to join at an indeterminate future date.

Still - we’d all much rather this scenario than watching Hutchinson, Trainer, Matt Day, Gnohere, Brevett and their ilk in the conference! Fingers crossed this (in my view understandable) negativity dissipates quickly and we get back to cheering KR & the lads on. Their job of delivering a successful season has been made harder and they need our backing.

It all comes down to the total lack of ambition of the board, and their clear failure to back KR, as clear as daylight. They speak bullsh*** about having ambition and wanting to get us to the championship, they mislead the manager about backing him to get us there.
They lie about not having to sell players, to the point that I can genuinely see KR leaving, and wouldn't blame him. He has become a very attractive prospect, as Malaga alluded to.

As an Oxford fan you spend all day in anticipation, only to end up with that gutted feeling in the pit of your stomach, furious with a board of directors and chairman who you truly believed were taking you on a genuine journey, only to feel shafted again.

The hard work this season was already done to get up there for the final push with a couple of obvious additions needed, in the belief that players did not have to be sold. At least now, as with previous boards, fans know not to believe a single word the liars come out with.

COYY....

I have spoke to burton albion chairman Ben Robinson a couple of tim

Not Gloomy obviously I want us to make it this season. I live a stonesthrow from burton albion wearing the wrong yellow. I have seen them come from the blue square like us to the dizzy heights of the championship. They have a great chairman who plows everything back in the club they are well run they own their ground they get all the money they had decent cup runs. I have spoken with the chairman a few times Ben Robinson not because I am great My father inlaw does his insurance and sponsors the matchball occasionally and they are freinds. I will be in the directors box for our upcoming game hehe nothing to do with me I clean windows and cut hedges and trees. A few things I gleaned from him Burton had no buisness being in the championship of course he was thrilled being there and plowed everything into being there and staying up. To the detrement of his bank balance if they had stayed up for a third season they would have gone into administration he was honest and said it. They got special dispenstation from the league regards ground improvements that would have put the club into insolvency eg extra policing
a lux requirement on floodlights not only at the stadium but the training ground and any feild the club train on.. Albion kids train at the feild across the road from me and the youth they had to do the lights there and at the stadium cost them a few hundred thousand quid luckily st georges park happened for the main squad so they could train there.. After the third season all seating is required the away end and the main home end is terraces this would have put the club in financial woes if they had had to do it but they got relegated luckily Robison said. not only that things like cctv everywhere and a certified system put in all staff have to have the relevent qualifications at that level from the coaches to the caretaker the press have to have a mandated ammount of screens put it.. Loads of other things. In my opinion Burton financially would be in a similar position to the way oxford are now. Their attendance is less but they get all the money from everything. We don't own our dated ground we don't even have a forth stand the kassam is dates and needs an upgrade their is no way that it would meet the standard.. Who is going to pay for all this is Kassam going to chip in of course not. Other than a flash in the pan like albion we need to be sustainable in the championship or owners willing to pay bigtime.
Having said all that I want us to go up this season of course haha

Anyone else think we'll still get promoted and have even more to invest for next season in the championship?

*Stands back and waits for the meltdown!!!

Come on mate, less of the spin, face it we've been shafted again, however you look at the last few days.

Perhaps they were still trying to get deals through? Who knows, but clearly there is more that meets they eye than a KT esque statement
Vice chairman hasnt actually said anything of any substance on his tweets though has he?

I hope youre right and there is a last min deal ( or 2) @Gary Baldi - as you say, who knows?

..... , though I do not trust any of this bunch of bullshitters, the current OUFC board members, not after having been lied to by them

As a random aside, it has been good seeing so many new posters post on here today. Keep it up! ?

Probably Niall, tiger and Zaki using multi accounts like the old TIU days. They seem to be the ones saying us regular posters are being over the top.

I can't believe we are going to go into the rest of a season "fighting" for promotion with two fullbacks at the club. As another poster alluded to if either long or ruffels goes down for an extended period of time, that's it game over imo. It showed with Cadden how full backs are integral to our play. Hanson is not a right back and we now only have two left footed players at the club in ruffels and aygei. What's more frustrating is we have known the situation from before january that Cadden was leaving. I do think forde may provide back up and may do a good job there in similar fashion to Cadden, although he doesn't have his engine, his delivery may be better.

I understand the business model and to let baptiste and fosu go are probably the right deals, but it shouldn't have been this late in the window.

As the weeks have gone on.. I'm getting more frustrated by the mackie situation. He is not what this time needs up top. I would rather play aygei or a false 9 in browne.

Surely he won't consider playing the court jester up front tomorrow with Agyei available.

Could it be that we are spending an awful lot on wages for the loan signings

Could it be that this money is being put aside for something else ie a Stadium Current or new?

I certainly don’t think it comes to lack of ambition! It’s not your money to spend, and if the club have tried to sign players, and didn’t want to come south from Scotland, then that’s not the manager or boards fault. I think some people need to stop bed wetting, and think how far we’ve come from where we were in them dark conference days. Give me trips and visits from Ipswich, Sunderland among others, compared to days out against Eastbourne, Lewes and Barrow any day.

Let’s look forward to the remainder of the season, and cheer the boys on starting with Blackpool tomorrow.

Vice chairman hasnt actually said anything of any substance on his tweets though has he?

I hope youre right and there is a last min deal ( or 2) @Gary Baldi - as you say, who knows?

..... , though I do not trust any of this bunch of bullshitters, the current OUFC board members, not after having been lied to by them
Agree, clearly Zaki is trying quell some of the fan base who are freaking out bigly, and maybe tomorrow, a different and pointed communication will be made. In some respects, perhaps as fans we are being naive about the clubs standing and ability to say no to big deals?

Maybe it's just me, but in the grand scheme of things, the timing is awful but I'm not that bothered about the business being done. And perhaps the club are stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea - they understand the need to make the squad better, but not at any price. In some respects, it's more responsible to do nothing than waste money on someone who will fill a gap but be no better than what we have.

However.... We are very dependent on a player or two staying fit and away from suspension, and that is the biggest risk of all.

I would be far more gutted if we lost Dickie and Brannagan today and had no players come in.

You can only judge firstly on what people say and what people do. Then, if they have the same outcome, it's called trust. If not, you ignore the former and focus on the latter. It's all on what the board do. Talk is cheap.

The actions to date discount most of what has been said by Zaki and the board. Tokenism...but nothing concrete...and the actions that they have taken (Whyte, Fosbap) leave cause for concern.

The plan going forward - support the team, ignore anything said, wait for better actions.

Sunderland have rejected loan offer for will grigg not supprising considering they just lost a striker.

Back
Top Bottom