General Jan transfer window

Anyone still think Tiger and co are "going for it"? They are masters of spin..

If i had to speculate, id suggest a few weeks ago a stadium/property deal was progressing well, hence the enthusiasm. Its hit a blocker, hence Zakis abrupt comments, and its about getting some cash back over the next few months.
Masters of spin? BS maybe

Yeah why should we care how much money we get for players when we are relying on a trading model to provide income and lessen our losses.

Oxford now done for the day. Not securing a RB despite knowing the situation since the summer is poor nd in addition relying on Mackie and Taylor for the run in is also not good enough.

I normally back the recruitment, but this has been a poor last few days

Yeah it’s a shame we’ve lost a couple of players but we’re a team that has very limited income streams. We have to sell players at the right price, perversely it helps attract other players as they can see we will develop and help move them along.

We probably can’t really afford to go up so selling a couple of players and building a bit of sustainability into the club is probably the best we can hope for.

The main things i've taken from keeping up to date with this thread in the past two days are;

1. We have alot of fans with far too much time on their hands, maybe offer to help the groundsman maintain the training ground and save your fingers?
2. We have alot of fans who believe nothing the club say but believe everything they see on here, social media and the printed press.
3. We have alot of fans who like scoring petty points against each other?

How about all this pointless wasted energy is put to good use supporting the team we claim to follow through thick and thin?

Yeah why should we care how much money we get for players when we are relying on a trading model to provide income and lessen our losses.

Oxford now done for the day. Not securing a RB despite knowing the situation since the summer is poor nd in addition relying on Mackie and Taylor for the run in is also not good enough.

I think it's perfectly okay to care about it but ridiculous to whinge and whine when no-one on here knows the facts.

not the recruitment team to blame, they identify and the board have to sanction them.

What gets me he said he ha RBs lined up.....

It’s not the selling of the players I object to. Shandon is a fantastic young player who will play at PL level - if not with Brentford then his next club - assuming he can stay fit. And we’ve known about Fosu’s release fee so, as others have pointed out - not a lot that can be done.

My frustrations are firstly the timing. It’s crap. It hurts us enormously and I’m not buying those that have downplayed their contributions. Fosu’s form in the first half of the season was a big part of why we looked so good and got so high in the table. Baptiste makes goals and assist were a big part of us having a successful Xmas periods with wins and progress in the cups. He was just getting back to full form and fitness and would have contributed heaps more in the second half of the season.

To let Shandon go for what is, even according to the more optimistic of the guesstimates on here, just about market rate (or lower) with no time to adequately restock the squad is devastating and NOT the sign of a board who are chomping at the bit to get promoted.

Second frustration is the inbound business. We started this window needing an RB to replace Cadden, and a forward to help Taylor given that Mackie’s particular skill set doesn’t include goalscoring and clearly the manager thinks Agyei is one for next season. To end the window with some (admittedly extremely decent - but crucially only loaned) new midfield talent, no RB, no forward and the loss of Fosu and Baptiste for again - at best market rate is tough to swallow. All this assumes - as is reported currently - nothing happens by the way of incomings in the next few hours.

It has been decades since the Championship looked as close as it did over Christmas time. It may still happen. But a GOOD January window could have really brought it within reach. It may still happen, but barring any last gasp transfer window wheeler dealing miracles...it does feel further away (amplified by our recent stutter on the pitch too).

And all this is before a seemingly inevitable rebuild job again in the summer if/when Cam Bran and Dickie (plus Eastwood and insert any other ‘definitely leaving’ rumoured player name here) follow them through the exit door to a championship club which we ‘aspire’ to join at an indeterminate future date.

Still - we’d all much rather this scenario than watching Hutchinson, Trainer, Matt Day, Gnohere, Brevett and their ilk in the conference! Fingers crossed this (in my view understandable) negativity dissipates quickly and we get back to cheering KR & the lads on. Their job of delivering a successful season has been made harder and they need our backing.

This isn't football manager. Good decision for the long term stability of the club. Of course you could argue we could hold out and sell in the summer, however no guarantees Shandon would be fit and demanding such a fee.
Well in that case we may as well sell Brannagan and Dickie as well then!

I get that we're a selling club, but at some point we're going to have to keep hold of these players if we really want to progress, because if we keep selling key players who have only been here five minutes on the cheap, then we'll forever be a club treading water, going nowhere

If that is it for this window then I would be guessing that there are some very disappointed folk at OUFC.

However, that pales into insignificance when us supporters are taken into the equation.

No striker, no defender. Two first team players gone and reportedly for bargain basement prices.

These are not the actions of a club with real ambition. The club has scratched around and been found wanting. We remain a mid-table league 1 side with a few decent players. (and a very, very expensive 3 sided stadium)

Can't wait to read Tiger's "notes" in the program tomorrow. (too late to change them now, I suspect)

If that is indeed all done for us for this window, what utter B*****s with the money we’ve earned in the fa cup the tv in the Carabeo cup the purported 3 million, does that mean Tifer will be of having earned a decent wedge at our clubs expense, because he sure hasn’t backed his mouth when he said he wanted championship football.

Exactly.

Spent the first half of the season relying on an RB for supply in the knowledge that he could go...so, common sense would suggest they'd have someone ready to step in...but no, its paper over the cracks stuff.

Then, the DAY BEFORE transfer deadline...agree a deal on two key assets.

Another crack appears.

We get an injury tomorrow to either Browne or Holland (keep in mind how many we've had this year, and how many games players have had to come off)...and what then.

Our strike force consists of one past it striker (who collects regular yellows), one that appears to need every other game for rest and one that has an big step to make it as a regular starter.

It is all just so f*****g Oxford.

What gets me he said he ha RBs lined up.....

I go to Tesco with the intention of buying some baked beans but that doesn't mean i come home with Baked Beans, it's either a) out of stock b) past their sell by date or c) the price keeps going up so no value

After all i still have plenty in the cupboard at home to keep me going for the next few months so no disaster, particularly as i've just made some good money selling some baked beans that asked to move to a higher shelf in my cupboard

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: Ian
Yeah it’s a shame we’ve lost a couple of players but we’re a team that has very limited income streams. We have to sell players at the right price, perversely it helps attract other players as they can see we will develop and help move them along.

We probably can’t really afford to go up so selling a couple of players and building a bit of sustainability into the club is probably the best we can hope for.

Thats the reason really. I know burton albion were going bust in the championship the chairman said it was bad for the club to be playing above their means. We are a bigger club than albion but not owning own ground and championship stadium improvements needed when we don't have income from the ground would be a massive struggle.

Back
Top Bottom