General Jan transfer window

I am sure there will be a player or two in today despite Robinson saying he thought they might struggle at this stage. There’s nothing wrong with selling players in principle and I have been one of the first people saying that for several years - that is the model. We buy low, we sell high, we repeat. That’s how we survive. No problem with that, even if it’s disappointing and even if it seems as though we might not always get what we should in terms of fees. Do I think it’s showing a lack of ambition to sell on the final day of the window like this, to clubs we want to be competing with week in, week out later this year? Personally, yes. If it is indeed Brentford who are taking two of our players then that does make me go, “Urgh, are we really still letting clubs like this raid the silver?” But as people have said also, if a player gets a chance to double their wages - probably much more in Baptiste’s case - it’s hard to stop them. Especially someone who has had as many injury problems as he has, and who on a bad day during rehab probably wondered if he’d ever play to his full ability again. That’s football, but people are allowed to be disappointed and a bit frustrated having survived this much of the window without losing anybody, especially when the first few days of January were so positive. The timing is a real kicker.

Let’s see what the coming hours bring and take stock in the morning - there could be a rabbit or two being pulled out of hats. If nothing else then hopefully the waffle peddled by some can at least ease off, and we can see what the people who accurately produce the names are saying throughout the day. Rather than the people who wait for names to be said elsewhere before pretending they’re some sort of super-spy.

I think most of us expected a lot of interest in Baptiste, and obviously it's not ideal to see him go. What makes it feel worse is the timing and fee. Deals for both him and Fosu not going through till transfer deadline day leaving almost no time to find replacements and reinforce.

Apparently Fosu had a £750k release clause, but selling Baptiste for any less than £5 million is criminal in my opinion. It isn't often you get a young homegrown talent like him coming through in League 1, particularly in central midfield, and it comes across like we have just accepted offers with no real negotiation.

Celtic bid 3mil just for Baptiste so it must be more than 3

From the scraps of information I've seen, Hamer looks more like a defensive RB than attacking wing back. Was he ever on your Cadden replacement radar @Shosho ?

There's no mention of the Fosu/Baptiste departures on the OWS as yet. I am hoping they are waiting until they have some good news to balance it up!

Edit - although I am not sure a right back will tip the scales...

listening back to KR from last night my understanding is that him saying we might not get people in today was in reference to replacing fosu and Baptiste. Im sure hes still after a right back and striker today

I really don't get all this selling club bollox when in the best chance of promotion for years and possibly years to come, as for not standing in the way of players going up the pyramid they could have done that with us..Who set the value? if several clubs were after Shandon why not hold out and let the bidding war begin even into today if need be as it's making no difference to us as a club if they are to go anyway to hold out...Everyone said we would learn from the sudden late Whyte deal but clearly that is not the case.
I bet the board show more ambition when a plot of land becomes available and i bet they wont just accept the asking price they will negotiate.
The window for me gives a warning for what lays ahead, there is absolutely no need for a shiny new stadium for a league 1 club whose board clearly lack ambition on the playing side, Brand Oxford and all the property outlets are clearly all that matters to them so why not be open and honest and like DE did admit you cannot or more likely will not be able to operate at championship level..This way all our fans will know where we stand and can lower our expectations..The man you employed as your Manager of the playing side asked you to show we are a big club and show real ambition, i am afraid the evidence as it stands suggests you have let him down and all the fans.

I am sure there will be a player or two in today despite Robinson saying he thought they might struggle at this stage. There’s nothing wrong with selling players in principle and I have been one of the first people saying that for several years - that is the model. We buy low, we sell high, we repeat. That’s how we survive. No problem with that, even if it’s disappointing and even if it seems as though we might not always get what we should in terms of fees. Do I think it’s showing a lack of ambition to sell on the final day of the window like this, to clubs we want to be competing with week in, week out later this year? Personally, yes. If it is indeed Brentford who are taking two of our players then that does make me go, “Urgh, are we really still letting clubs like this raid the silver?” But as people have said also, if a player gets a chance to double their wages - probably much more in Baptiste’s case - it’s hard to stop them. Especially someone who has had as many injury problems as he has, and who on a bad day during rehab probably wondered if he’d ever play to his full ability again. That’s football, but people are allowed to be disappointed and a bit frustrated having survived this much of the window without losing anybody, especially when the first few days of January were so positive. The timing is a real kicker.

Let’s see what the coming hours bring and take stock in the morning - there could be a rabbit or two being pulled out of hats. If nothing else then hopefully the waffle peddled by some can at least ease off, and we can see what the people who accurately produce the names are saying throughout the day. Rather than the people who wait for names to be said elsewhere before pretending they’re some sort of super-spy.

Not certain what is so wrong with them going to Brentford? They are up the top end of the championship with a good shot at the play offs, location wise it’s an easy change for both of them. Brentford have been above us for years, in the championship for a while and they are moving into a new ground of their own next season. Add in a pay rise for the pair and the fact that they can afford to spend millions on two players and it’s unarguable that they are a bigger club than us now, I can see why it was an attractive move for them both.

The days when we could claim parity/being above the likes of Brentford ended with the botched ground move unfortunately, it’s taken us god knows how many years to get back to the level we are at now and to fund that we have to be a feeder club to the championship.

Can’t disagree with rest of your post, just not certain it matters which championship club pays the million or two price we charge for our players.

I’m listening to what you and other people are saying about the need for supporters to get real and accept that we are a small club that loses money, and cant really argue against it, but what is the long term vision then? Accept that we are a little club who’s only role in life is to nurture and sell talent to bigger, more ambitious clubs higher up the food chain? If that is the case maybe people at the club should stop talking up the promotion to the championship dream, its starting to sound a bit disingenuous. If we are to settle for being a club who goes no higher than the likes of the Crewes, Colchesters and Southends of this world then the club need to start managing expectations a little better.

Yes weve progressed in the past despite selling talent but that is based on selling one prized asset for around £2-3 M and bringing in a couple of hiden gems for around £750k - a fantastic business model. Now though weve sold 3 key players this season for apparently something north of £7m, on top of lucrative cup runs this season. Unless we sign a couple of good young players, found by our talented recruitment dept, today then, to me, it appears that the stategy is taking an ominous downturn

Bang on and well summarised, it’s all about ambition, have our owners got any???

Not certain what is so wrong with them going to Brentford? They are up the top end of the championship with a good shot at the play offs, location wise it’s an easy change for both of them. Brentford have been above us for years, in the championship for a while and they are moving into a new ground of their own next season. Add in a pay rise for the pair and the fact that they can afford to spend millions on two players and it’s unarguable that they are a bigger club than us now, I can see why it was an attractive move for them both.

The days when we could claim parity/being above the likes of Brentford ended with the botched ground move unfortunately, it’s taken us god knows how many years to get back to the level we are at now and to fund that we have to be a feeder club to the championship.

Can’t disagree with rest of your post, just not certain it matters which championship club pays the million or two price we charge for our players.
Brentford are a perfectly fine club, but they are the absolute definition of one we should be looking to emulate and therefore put ourselves on the same level as, and who we are within touching distance of in some respects. Clubs like them aren’t a dot on the horizon anymore. In terms of the ‘size’ of the club relative to some of the absolute monsters that inhabit the Championship, they’re arguably the one we are most able to stack up against in the near future. That is what makes it frustrating compared to somebody going to a Leeds, or a Cardiff, or a Middlesbrough etc. I am not knocking Brentford - far from it. I’m saying I want to be them and that I think we’re the closest we’ve been in more than 15 years to being able to put ourselves in their bracket, and that’s what makes it frustrating. We’re probably never going to compete with half the clubs in the Championship in terms of the size of the club and the muscles we can flex, but they’re in the half that we can look to emulate and stand alongside in the next six months, let alone the next two to three years.

Back
Top Bottom