General Jan transfer window

Will Grigg is a Sunderland player. Hasn't scored much.
Sunderland bringing in two today. Antoine Semenyo from Bristol City and Bobby Duncan ex Liverpool from Fiorentina. They are not interested in James Vaughan who played for them previously.

Vaughan has already gone to Tranmere.

but what is the long term vision then? Accept that we are a little club who’s only role in life is to nurture and sell talent to bigger, more ambitious clubs higher up the food chain?
I would say the plan is "5 steps forward, 4 steps back" rather than "1 step forward, 1 step back". We have improved in quality, attitude and league position consistently for a few years now. All the time that we get a bit more successful we get a bit bigger. Then maybe in the future we'll be one of the bigger clubs higher up the food chain. I certainly see no lack of ambition, just a tempered, sustainable approach to achieving it.

I would say the plan is "5 steps forward, 4 steps back" rather than "1 step forward, 1 step back". We have improved in quality, attitude and league position consistently for a few years now. All the time that we get a bit more successful we get a bit bigger. Then maybe in the future we'll be one of the bigger clubs higher up the food chain. I certainly see no lack of ambition, just a tempered, sustainable approach to achieving it.
It is now obligatory to adopt a Scottish accent when using the word "Sustainable"

After yesterday’s disappointment in losing two players ie Baptiste and Fosu, I remain optimistic about today, and believe we will bring in one or two players. I still think we will send one out on loan too!

Forum members can make accusations about the board and management team not caring and selling for the sake of selling. We make it clear to all young players we sign, that we will give them game time, and develop them further. We also tell them that if a reasonable bid comes in, that is right for the football club then we will not stand in there way of moving on, and progressing up the pyramid! That’s a massive pull for us, which is why we get to see such young talented players like Brannagan and Dickie week in week out. It also helps in the
Loan market too, because we have a great reputation for looking after other clubs young up and coming talents. I’m very proud of this football club, and look forward to enjoying the rest of what has been an excellent season so far.

Let’s hope for a couple of klaxons today, and yesterday will be forgotten.
Good post, we are all disappointed to lose players but we all know how it works and there has been some absolute s**t posted on here in the last few hours.

Newcastle seem to be going strong in the window but missing out on Giroud...might be just as diff team as ours next week....that p/t twit Moose on twitsport said someone called Totu Henry was leaving us..was is it about footballers names that people can't proofread with their brains!

what debts?
interesting to know more as we've sold players we've taken on free transfers and paid peanuts for millions way over 10-15 million in recent years easily plus cup runs income.......

Erm, do I need to spell it out?
I`m sure others can do a better job but, generally, we spend more than we bring in so trade at a loss every season.
In a simplistic world that is "business" but in reality there is debt building up.

A lot of us thought that Fosu could with a rest and it seems he'll get that at Brentford, but I can only reiterate - we are a destination for young players because we develop them and let them go for the right price. It seems contradictory when we are in a promotion push, but that is why you invest in the scouting department to keep it churning players through the club. If we tell players our principles, we need to live them.

It's sad to see talented players go, but that is a reality, regardless of if you set up as club like OUFC or not.
Fosu will be glad to get back to the championship and his London mates after slumming it with the carrot crunchers.

We knew Baptiste would probably be off soon and possibly to Brentford, but why sell now at the first serious bid when we could maybe have taken our time to get a bidding war going in the summer? Other clubs seem able to do that.

Fosu will be glad to get back to the championship and his London mates after slumming it with the carrot crunchers.We knew Baptiste would probably be off soon and possibly to Brentford, but why sell now at the first serious bid when we could maybe have taken our time to get a bidding war going in the summer? Other clubs seem able to do that.

Maybe it was a case of, sell to reinvest in other positions such as right back and striker. We did the same when Whyte left.

Fosu will be glad to get back to the championship and his London mates after slumming it with the carrot crunchers.

We knew Baptiste would probably be off soon and possibly to Brentford, but why sell now at the first serious bid when we could maybe have taken our time to get a bidding war going in the summer? Other clubs seem able to do that.
My guess is you set a price, and if someone reaches it, you then take the choice to sell the asset - we tell players this, so we have to live it when it happens. It sounds like multiple bids for both players came in this week, so I can only presume that it became expedient for both players to move on if they wished to. The timing is awful for OUFC, and that is my biggest annoyance in all this.

Imagine if we had a forum when Jimmy Magilton or Paul Simpson were sold !!! We are in a much better place with a sustainable future. Fosu only signed to put himself in the shop window ....babtiste was going to Brentford before his injuries delayed it. Not wonderful news but the future of the club is everything.

The future of the club is best preserved by maximising the value of our assets. In Shandon's case it's impossible to think we have done that.

The future of the club is best preserved by maximising the value of our assets. In Shandon's case it's impossible to think we have done that.
But it does depend on the player waiting for the optimal time for the club to sell them on - considering he was off a year ago for less, this was on the cards once he got game time.

But it does depend on the player waiting for the optimal time for the club to sell them on - considering he was off a year for less, this was on the cards once he got game time.

Yeah no question, but why now when we know there would be a host of clubs after him in the summer when he value will only have got even higher? It's a shocking time to sell.

On another KRism, was Karl just being deliberately artful when he said that he was interested in buying Will Grigg?

Knowing that ...

1. He couldn’t hit a cows a**e with a banjo.
2. He cost Sunderland £4million.
3. Sunderland would never sell to a promotion rival.

If he wasn’t being playful, was he serious?? Really????

Back
Top Bottom