Ex Player Jack Stevens

Elliot Jackson and Max Crocombe both made it into the first team but were never first choice and made a handful of appearances each .
First keeper from youth to be no 1 since Roy Burton I think ?
Yep I would say so. Before that Mick Kearns 70-71 season. Made his debut at 19! Ended up playing 67 games. Also made his debut for ROI in 1970 at 19. Moved to Walsall in 73 after Burty took over half way through 71-72 season.

Edit. And well done Jack. So nice to see a young local lad come through.
Probably bye bye Easty!!

Last edited:
Yep I would say so. Before that Mick Kearns 70-71 season. Made his debut at 19! Ended up playing 67 games. Also made his debut for ROI in 1970 at 19. Moved to Walsall in 73 after Burty took over half way through 71-72 season
Mick Kearns was OUFC's first choice keeper inbetween Jimmy Barron and Roy Burton tenures ...wasnt he?

I think Stevens signing a three year contract is great news. It is as though we have signed a new player. He’s certainly better than we’ve had for some time. I’m more optimistic than I’ve been for a long time. Securing two attacking players in Barker and Lee, was awesome. I’d like to think we could get Shodipo on board permanently. Now that would be a signing

Great news.
He has everything that a modern keeper needs. I can see plenty of offers coming in for him in the future. The one thing he hasn't had to show yet is the ability to not let a mistake knock his confidence which I'm sure it won't. The ideal end to the season will be to be 4 nil up in the playoff final with 20 minutes to go and to be able to bring easty on for a well deserved send off.

Yep I would say so. Before that Mick Kearns 70-71 season. Made his debut at 19! Ended up playing 67 games. Also made his debut for ROI in 1970 at 19. Moved to Walsall in 73 after Burty took over half way through 71-72 season.

Edit. And well done Jack. So nice to see a young local lad come through.
Probably bye bye Easty!!
Don't think he's a local lad, he's from Ealing I think.

Great news, would be interesting to know whether he'd garnered interest from others given his form.

Don't think he's a local lad, he's from Ealing I think.

Was born in Ealing but moved with family to Newbury area when he was seven or eight, was at Chelsea Academy between 9-14 years old and then Barnet FC until 16, signed for Oxford as a year two scholar at 17 after being at Reading FC's college team (JMA) for a season whilst doing A levels.

I’ve just dropped my robe in horror at being described that way.
Aah so you figure he's talking about you. Can you be sure? You know that where I live people of a different inclination than that expected are just left alone to get on with their life in their way? I have no idea how the UK reacts to you but just don't let it get you down. 🤓

I think Stevens signing a three year contract is great news. It is as though we have signed a new player. He’s certainly better than we’ve had for some time. I’m more optimistic than I’ve been for a long time. Securing two attacking players in Barker and Lee, was awesome. I’d like to think we could get Shodipo on board permanently. Now that would be a signing
Would like to see how we could maybe sign McGuane

So I'll lead with the fact that this is great news - he's been tremendous, and for someone with so little experience, a lot of facets of his game seem very well-honed, particular some areas like communication, decision-making and positioning where young keepers often struggle.

But I have some sympathy for JLB's position because there are aspects of his game that still need improvement. Kicking and distribution is the most obvious, but his handling is not always as clean as you would like it to be, and I'm still nervous when he comes to punch a cross/high ball - needs to be getting more distance on those.

All in all, though, we've certainly seen enough that we should be excited to see him between the sticks for the next three years, where hopefully he will grow into a major, major asset.

Splendid news. @tonyw I think his kicking is poor but I think his distribution would be good if he has anyone to distribute it to, most of the time, but we're not a team that looks to break.

"Sexual deviant"?

I think his kicking's a little erratic but I also think people have unrealistic expectations: when a midfielder or full-back pings a long distance crossfield ball it's a thing of wonder; it made Beckham the best British player of his generation.

Yet we expect it as a matter of course from the player who uses his feet less than anyone else.

Aah so you figure he's talking about you. Can you be sure? You know that where I live people of a different inclination than that expected are just left alone to get on with their life in their way? I have no idea how the UK reacts to you but just don't let it get you down. 🤓
I just want to live my best life, Malc. I can only dream of a society as welcoming as yours being my home. That’s why I visit once a year. So free and accepting.

That and all the drugs and prostitutes.

I think his kicking's a little erratic but I also think people have unrealistic expectations: when a midfielder or full-back pings a long distance crossfield ball it's a thing of wonder; it made Beckham the best British player of his generation.

Yet we expect it as a matter of course from the player who uses his feet less than anyone else.

Totalling agree ! its clear that instructions from management are to hit the touchline as is with most teams without a target man up front. This comes soley down to the thought process that if the header is not won by the keepers team mate it will in most cases lead to the opposition gaining a throw in rather than be chanelled straight back down the middle of the pitch. This allows the keepers team to get into its defensive set up in most cases and be more solid.

Pretty sure if you were to ask all ten outfield players to hit a player with a 60/70 yard pass from a dead ball you would be amazed at the failure rate in any team. Indeed likewise think you would be amazed if you asked many pro footballers to kick a football from various parts of a rugby pitch through their posts for a penatly.

Back
Top Bottom