Manager/Coach I back KR

Deserves his new contract.
He seems more sorted since Derry left?

Great to see his passion yesterday! Went from nearly knocking out the 4th official at 2-3 to a touchline run and kicking the advertising boards at 3-3!!! I know there will be the usual moaning about his lack of discipline etc etc but I'd rather have a manager who cares and fights for everything with his team than someone who is media trained the the nth degree but without that passion.

Great to see his passion yesterday! Went from nearly knocking out the 4th official at 2-3 to a touchline run and kicking the advertising boards at 3-3!!! I know there will be the usual moaning about his lack of discipline etc etc but I'd rather have a manager who cares and fights for everything with his team than someone who is media trained the the nth degree but without that passion.
I'm.not sure that I totally agree. MAPP was almost always calm.and dispassionate. That doesn't mean that he was anything other than a fantastic manager for us.
Squaring up to the 4th official is not necessary even if he is passionate.

I don’t necessarily disagree with this. KR is fundamentally a sound manager and has been thoughtful about the way the squad is developing and organising teams to extricate ourselves from poor league positions. I’m less a fan of the drama queen displays on the touch line. I think he could use some support around particularly dealing with the media utterances, as he gives up hostages to fortune too thoughtlessly (‘we are aiming to do our transfer business early’ - not a direct quote but the meaning has been clear, even though it has become obvious that we are not able to compete in this way).
Overall, I’m grateful that we have him in charge of the team.

What’s his overall record at Oxford now and how does his win ratio compare with other managers?

He’s fundamentally a very decent bloke.

Passionate , thinks about his tactics, cares about his players and the fans and appears to be a good motivator.

His Achilles heel is his constant whinging about officials and his permanent victim status. He should engage brain more in public before mouthing off. To be fair to him I have seen signs of improvement but he can cut an undignified persona sometimes.

On balance he’s doing a good job for us.

What’s his overall record at Oxford now and how does his win ratio compare with other managers?

The ever reliable Wikipedia tells me that his record is: 27 wins, 22 draws, 28 losses. Win % = 35.1

Pep Clotet's record was: 12 wins, 10 draws, 14 losses. Win % = 33.3

Appleton's was: 78 wins, 46 draws, 49 losses. Win % 45.1 (which is even more impressive considering how we struggled during his first season)

FWIW I like Robinson's passion although I wish he could keep his emotions in check a little better. I think he gets it wrong tactically quite often and I think his team selection is poor sometimes.

However I think it's important to remember that he's still young (38 according to Wikipedia) and hopefully will continue to learn. He's shown signs of improvement in certain areas of his management and I hope that trend continues.

I'm yet to be convinced he'll ever turn us into a consistent, winning side but I sincerely hope he does because I think he's a decent bloke and genuinely cares about the success of the club.

I'm.not sure that I totally agree. MAPP was almost always calm.and dispassionate. That doesn't mean that he was anything other than a fantastic manager for us.
Squaring up to the 4th official is not necessary even if he is passionate.
I liked how calm and collected Mapp was, but I also like seeing the kind of passion that Robbo showed yesterday!

Let’s have more Saturdays with that kind of passion from the manager, players and fans (minus the knobheads) and we’ll have a memorable season.

The ever reliable Wikipedia tells me that his record is: 27 wins, 22 draws, 28 losses. Win % = 35.1

Pep Clotet's record was: 12 wins, 10 draws, 14 losses. Win % = 33.3

Appleton's was: 78 wins, 46 draws, 49 losses. Win % 45.1 (which is even more impressive considering how we struggled during his first season)

FWIW I like Robinson's passion although I wish he could keep his emotions in check a little better. I think he gets it wrong tactically quite often and I think his team selection is poor sometimes.

However I think it's important to remember that he's still young (38 according to Wikipedia) and hopefully will continue to learn. He's shown signs of improvement in certain areas of his management and I hope that trend continues.

I'm yet to be convinced he'll ever turn us into a consistent, winning side but I sincerely hope he does because I think he's a decent bloke and genuinely cares about the success of the club.
According to Rageonline which I would trust.
Robinson 34.2%
Clotet 35.3%
Appleton 44.9%
Wilder 45.5%

Different leagues, mind. Apps partly league 2, Wilder partly Conference. I just like the way KR embraces all elements of the club and shows what I perceive to be a genuine passion for the club and its sustainability and the area and the fans. From what I am told the Cowleys have similar attributes at Lincoln.

I'd prefer we won more games.

I think his heart is in the right place but he needs to get a defence and strikers, maybe he will; I hope so.

Yep, good summary by Common Villager. There are hopeful signs on the pitch, but some folk seem to be assuming that it will all come right by magic. We've got 5 points out of a possible 18 and three of the five teams below us have a game in hand.
KR showed he can adapt and create a winning team in the second half of last season, but it'll be a bummer if we have to rely on a strong finish again this time round. We should have worked harder to hang on to Whyte, at least until January.

I like KR, he clearly cares and works hard, and the majority of his team decisions seem to make sense to me. He’s no Appleton, would still have him back in a heartbeat, but compared to a lot of the awful managers we’ve had in the last 20 years, Robinson is definitely one of the better ones.

Away from the Mic, he's a very very impressive guy, clever, articulate, knows exactly what's going on at our football club and is clearly fundamental to the really big decisions that occupy a boardroom.

The biggest thing for me, is seeing Derry go. I think it's changed KR a bit for the better. Time to integrate Mous into that management set-up ready for him to step up in the future to assist Karl.

I’m backing KR to turn around league performance to a mid table position but can’t help but feel he’s angling for a job in the England U21 setup or something along those lines. He is always marketing himself as the saviour of reclaiming Oxfords ‘identity’ of developing young players. Could be to help Oxford but why is he already putting Baptiste in the shop window? I think he wants another Dele Alli to point to that he has developed. Maybe because he’s not pulling up trees with his results? In summary, I back him as a decent manager but I really want us to get a manager who just knows how to win whatever the philosophy so we can get to the Championship and not convinced that KR will deliver that.

Away from the Mic, he's a very very impressive guy, clever, articulate, knows exactly what's going on at our football club and is clearly fundamental to the really big decisions that occupy a boardroom.

The biggest thing for me, is seeing Derry go. I think it's changed KR a bit for the better. Time to integrate Mous into that management set-up ready for him to step up in the future to assist Karl.
You have has a change of heart Simon! He has managed to win you round?

I’m backing KR to turn around league performance to a mid table position but can’t help but feel he’s angling for a job in the England U21 setup or something along those lines. He is always marketing himself as the saviour of reclaiming Oxfords ‘identity’ of developing young players. Could be to help Oxford but why is he already putting Baptiste in the shop window? I think he wants another Dele Alli to point to that he has developed. Maybe because he’s not pulling up trees with his results? In summary, I back him as a decent manager but I really want us to get a manager who just knows how to win whatever the philosophy so we can get to the Championship and not convinced that KR will deliver that.
I think that you need to give him.this season.
I reckon that we will finish above half way.
With the backing that he has been given, I am not sure that half ways enough.

I think that you need to give him.this season.
I reckon that we will finish above half way.
With the backing that he has been given, I am not sure that half ways enough.
I’m certainly happy to give him the whole season. Would only want to see him replaced sooner if we got a Danny Cowley type manager in. It’s a tough business which is why he needs to be pushing win rate above 45% to stay in the job

I'd like to see him get the full season as well. But this does require an upturn before Xmas.
At the moment we are averaging less than a point per game. An average of 1 point per game is relegation certainty.
There are 17 league games between now and the end of December. If we carry on as we are we will by then only have 23 points from 23 games (and that is rounding up).
On paper we have a squad that can achieve an upturn. Let's hope KR can increase his 36% win ratio soon.

Back
Top Bottom