Manager/Coach I back KR

Too many within our support want him to fail and turn on him at every chance they get.

I think he is doing his best and it's not his fault that the owners are not backing him. He is a real football man with passion and I wish those who criticise at every turn would see its the owners who are the problem!

I don’t think any true Oxford fan actually wants him to fail. Just because some might be vocal now when we’re not doing so well. It’s not like he was getting stick after our first 3 matches when most on here were even contemplating automatic promotion.

I do think you have a point about the owners, something isn’t quite right. Selling Whyte when he didn’t want to leave, for half the clubs valuation! Oh and then suddenly players start signing. Too much of a coincidence in my book. True we did have good money offered for players at least reported in the press.
So I don’t know smoke and mirrors.

KR is a marmite manager. He talks a lot of crap and then next week makes absolute sense.

Personally I think he’s much like wilder in that he’d do very well at a club with a large budget. People loved or hated him too!

In terms of the team we have I think it’s okay. It feels more like Mapps first 10 games where we dominated games, playing some good football but everything the other team hits seems to go in.

I will say i think we’re again paying the price for a team put together late though.

I do think you have a point about the owners, something isn’t quite right. Selling Whyte when he didn’t want to leave, for half the clubs valuation! Oh and then suddenly players start signing. Too much of a coincidence in my book.
Sometimes people accept a smaller fee in return for a lot more, or sometimes even all of it, up front.

So according to the last two posts, Gavin Whyte didn't want to leave, went for half the clubs valuation, and that this was so we could get the money upfront to fund our summer spending.

Or alternatively, and more accurately, Gavin was valued at £4m earlier in the summer by KR. Valuations by the selling club are always optimistic and hardly ever met. Cardiff paid around £3m with additional add ons. Although not official, this figure came from Oxford Mail and sources very close to the club. So, we recieved a fee that was a little below our top price, but with potential for more to come.

Gavin was happy at Oxford, but that doesn't mean that he didn't want to leave. Cardiff matched his ambition and he has the opportunity to progress domestically and internationally, whilst earning 3 times what he was with us. Believe me, he's not exactly crying himself to sleep in a Welsh bedside!!

As for our summer business, deals were already in place for nearly all of our signings. Whilst the money from Gsvin Whyte would have helped the coffers, it's simply not true to we couldn't bring anyone in without the sale. We had an agreed budget before the summer break, and worked within that.

As for the suggestion that we took a lower price for upfront cash, that just didn't happen. The deal was like every other with x amount upfront and the rest in follow up payments.

On a thread about backing KR or otherwise, there is plenty to question without making stuff up to muddy the water further.

I don’t think any true Oxford fan actually wants him to fail. Just because some might be vocal now when we’re not doing so well. It’s not like he was getting stick after our first 3 matches when most on here were even contemplating automatic promotion.

I do think you have a point about the owners, something isn’t quite right. Selling Whyte when he didn’t want to leave, for half the clubs valuation! Oh and then suddenly players start signing. Too much of a coincidence in my book. True we did have good money offered for players at least reported in the press.
So I don’t know smoke and mirrors.

KR is a marmite manager. He talks a lot of crap and then next week makes absolute sense.

Personally I think he’s much like wilder in that he’d do very well at a club with a large budget. People loved or hated him too!

In terms of the team we have I think it’s okay. It feels more like Mapps first 10 games where we dominated games, playing some good football but everything the other team hits seems to go in.

I will say i think we’re again paying the price for a team put together late though.

Cardiff paid much more for Whyte than most of our fans seem to realise.

There seems to be a pocket of our fans who are very quick to give KR credit when things are looking rosy, then keen to absolve him of any blame when they aren’t. Bit weird.

So according to the last two posts, Gavin Whyte didn't want to leave, went for half the clubs valuation, and that this was so we could get the money upfront to fund our summer spending.

Or alternatively, and more accurately, Gavin was valued at £4m earlier in the summer by KR. Valuations by the selling club are always optimistic and hardly ever met. Cardiff paid around £3m with additional add ons. Although not official, this figure came from Oxford Mail and sources very close to the club. So, we recieved a fee that was a little below our top price, but with potential for more to come.

No @Scotchegg according to KR Gavin Whyte didn’t want to leave! He said so live on Radio Oxford. I think it was during a his five minute fans forum so you can go and listen to him say it yourself.

From the bbc website “Gavin Whyte has joined Cardiff City from Oxford United for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £2m”
2 million is half of 4 million mate.

Of course Naill you’d have more knowledge of what we received or might receive than the average fan.

Edit: oh and Moore, Agyei, Taylor, Forde and Thorne all arrived on fees after Whyte was sold... it’s a miracle, coincidence believe what you want.

Last edited:
No @Scotchegg according to KR Gavin Whyte didn’t want to leave! He said so live on Radio Oxford. I think it was during a his five minute fans forum so you can go and listen to him say it yourself.

From the bbc website “Gavin Whyte has joined Cardiff City from Oxford United for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £2m”
2 million is half of 4 million mate.

Of course Naill you’d have more knowledge of what we received or might receive than the average fan.

I'll say it again, Gavin Whyte was happy staying. I know that because I spoke to him at the Fulham game a few days before he left. But he also jumped at the chance to join Cardiff, to play in the Championship and triple his wages! He did not demand a move, and really liked his time at the club. But he wasn't forced out as you have falsely implied.

The BBC that you have quoted states that it was undisclosed but "believed to be around £2m". It wasn't. It was much nearer £3m with add ons. That was reported by the Oxford Mail and confirmed by sources close to the club.

Repeating things that are incorrect time after time doesn't give them anymore credibility. Especially when your "proof" is through a comment that you think was on a fans forum and a quote that only believes something.

I'll say it again, Gavin Whyte was happy staying. I know that because I spoke to him at the Fulham game a few days before he left. But he also jumped at the chance to join Cardiff, to play in the Championship and triple his wages! He did not demand a move, and really liked his time at the club. But he wasn't forced out as you have falsely implied.

The BBC that you have quoted states that it was undisclosed but "believed to be around £2m". It wasn't. It was much nearer £3m with add ons. That was reported by the Oxford Mail and confirmed by sources close to the club.

Repeating things that are incorrect time after time doesn't give them anymore credibility. Especially when your "proof" is through a comment that you think was on a fans forum and a quote that only believes something.

Jesus you can be hard work!

At no point do I imply Whyte was forced out?
But I’m glad you agree with me that he wanted to say. In fact even with the Cardiff offer on the table he wanted to say here for another year. Again from KR’s own mouth.

Sorry I don’t have access to anyone within the club. Only Cardiff City saying ‘close to 2 million’ bbc saying 2 million, transfer market saying 1.98 million.
The Oxford mail figure is with add ons I believe. Who’s to say the 4 million evaluation wouldn’t include add ons too?

The club valued him at 4 million, which undoubtedly would have included add ons and he was sold for a fee of 2 million with add ons. Arguing about semantics isn’t going to make you right.

The only bit of my post which is speculation / opinion and not based on statements from the KR or respected online sources is the bit about whether we needed the Whyte money to sign players or not. That could be debated.

It’s weird when people use ‘Whyte didn’t want to leave’ as a way to bash the club/KR. Surely that just shows we’re doing the right things - If players were being paid late and having meetings about it etc, wouldn’t he be desperate to be out the door?

Jesus you can be hard work!

At no point do I imply Whyte was forced out?
But I’m glad you agree with me that he wanted to say. In fact even with the Cardiff offer on the table he wanted to say here for another year. Again from KR’s own mouth.

Sorry I don’t have access to anyone within the club. Only Cardiff City saying ‘close to 2 million’ bbc saying 2 million, transfer market saying 1.98 million.
The Oxford mail figure is with add ons I believe. Who’s to say the 4 million evaluation wouldn’t include add ons too?

The club valued him at 4 million, which undoubtedly would have included add ons and he was sold for a fee of 2 million with add ons. Arguing about semantics isn’t going to make you right.

The only bit of my post which is speculation / opinion and not based on statements from the KR or respected online sources is the bit about whether we needed the Whyte money to sign players or not. That could be debated.
He wasn't sold for 2m plus add-ons though.

Gavin Whyte went for just shy of £3m and with add ons will exceed £3m. That is comparable with other players with similar experience in league one. He was not sold on the cheap.

Gavin Whyte was happy at Oxford. He had no plans to leave. He felt the club was in a great place to progress and would have been happy playing regular football to cement a place in N.Ireland euro squad. HOWEVER, the chance came to move up to the Championship on much bigger wages, with reassurances that he would be very much in line for 1st team appearances. He grabbed that opportunity with both hands. He did not leave against his will. He wasn't forced out. His sale was not necessary to fund our summer spending. The club wanted him to stay.

The deal was like a million other deals with some money upfront and the rest in installments. We did not reduce the price to get cash upfront.

Most of our summer business was in place before the Cardiff bid came in. Gorrin, Cadden and Fosu were already in the building. Woodburn had been agreed in June, but waited for Liverpool to finish their tour. Moore had been lined up. Offers had been made for Jerome Sinclair. Ched Evans was spoken too. Money was always there and deals would have happened with or without Gavin leaving.

The constant need to look for some conspiracy is boring and takes away from genuine issues. I'm the positive one who was even backing Robinson last autumn when things were looking pretty poor, but even I can see that there can be some real concerns with KR.

For example, he can be tactically naive at times. He can be stubborn and sticks to a system or players when changes are needed. His substitutions are often too late and ineffective. He struggles to control his passion and goes with his heart instead of his head sometimes. All of these are worth discussing. The shite about Gavin Whyte and dodgy deals is simply wrong and a waste of time.

Cardiff must be very persuasive and very quick to seal a deal as on the Tuesday we had not heard from them but by friday he was theirs.
Meanwhile back at Oxford a few players are already in the building for weeks but not announced until he has gone.
A Masterstroke in avoiding fans disappointment and fending off questions.

I am with Scotchegg - generally - but even he ..."has real concerns". I also think KR is often tactically naive & the next two games will put him further under the spotlight. Anyone at the Fleetwood match must surely agree that more than half of our team did not look interested & we were very lucky to 'get away' with a single goal defeat - they could & should have rattled in 5 or 6! We definitely have the players this season - I just think they don't know what KR is trying to get out of them from one match to another.

Cardiff must be very persuasive and very quick to seal a deal as on the Tuesday we had not heard from them but by friday he was theirs.
Meanwhile back at Oxford a few players are already in the building for weeks but not announced until he has gone.
A Masterstroke in avoiding fans disappointment and fending off questions.
The only player who was with us for a period of time was Chris Cadden and that was due to complexities of the deal. Ben Woodburn was spoken to in May/June and a deal agreed in principle. However, he was expected to tour with Liverpool first and a deal was concluded on his return. Elliott Moore was one of 2 or 3 CB's we were looking at. I stated on the forum 3 weeks before he signed that we were in for someone who had flown under the radar at that point. Other teams were interested so there was a little delay whilst all parties looked at their options. Dan Ageyi was mentioned on here a few weeks before he signed too. None of this is unusual.

As for Cardiff, a bid was made on the Tuesday night. It was rejected. A higher bid was made on Wednesday and Gavin was allowed to talk to them. Gavin agreed terms, a medical was conducted and the deal came together pretty quickly. This was helped by the fact that no other clubs were involved, Gavin was offered a very good deal that didn't need any to'ing and fro'ing, and the final deal put to us met our valuation (NOT TWO BLOODY MILLION!!!). Again, none of this is unusual.

It's really not difficult to see that whilst some deals take longer than others, our experiences this summer were the same as virtually every other team in the country.

We all know we should have got our business done earlier in the window. Other clubs managed it - we didn't and thus it takes longer for cohesion to take place.

There is no excuse for failure now. He has had time to coach his philosophy and bring his own players in.

He should be given until November but if it's a similar start to last season then he should be gone at that point.

But he will not leave.

I find it odd that Woodburn was spoken to so early while at the same time Whyte was being given the no 10 shirt/role so how would that have worked out ?

I find it odd that Woodburn was spoken to so early while at the same time Whyte was being given the no 10 shirt/role so how would that have worked out ?
Because Whyte wasn't automatically considered for the number 10 role. He would have been playing on the wing but with the number 10 shirt.

Because Whyte wasn't automatically considered for the number 10 role. He would have been playing on the wing but with the number 10 shirt.
Really , it sounded very much like he was being considered for the 10 role and why on earth give him the 10 shirt in the first place ?

Really , it sounded very much like he was being considered for the 10 role and why on earth give him the 10 shirt in the first place ?
Because shirt numbers are not directly linked to positions anymore! Marcus Browne wore 10 last year, and although he played up front for done games, he was signed as a winger.

Whyte was 16. Hall had 7, Brannagan 8, 9 was being held back for a striker, and 11 went to Fosu. 10 was the most obvious number for someone seen as a first team regular.

Because shirt numbers are not directly linked to positions anymore! Marcus Browne wore 10 last year, and although he played up front for done games, he was signed as a winger.

Whyte was 16. Hall had 7, Brannagan 8, 9 was being held back for a striker, and 11 went to Fosu. 10 was the most obvious number for someone seen as a first team regular.
Hmmm, there was a big deal made of it at the time and we had no forwards .

So....2-Cadden RB
3 Ruffles LB
4/5 Dickie /Moore CB
6 Gorrin def mid
7 hall - winger
8 Cam Bran centre mid
9- held back for taylor CF
10- now woodburn
11- fosu - winger
Yep...players just don't link shirt numbers to positions do they ???

Back
Top Bottom