Manager/Coach I back KR

Ox4Eva

Too many within our support want him to fail and turn on him at every chance they get.

I think he is doing his best and it's not his fault that the owners are not backing him. He is a real football man with passion and I wish those who criticise at every turn would see its the owners who are the problem!

Last edited:
Too many within our support want him to fail and turn on him at every chance they get.

I think he is doing his best and it's not his fault that the owners are not backing him. He is a real football man with passion and I wish those who criticise at every turn would see itscthe owners who are the problem!

Outwardly Robinson is right up there with the most passionate managers we’ve ever had and I think he’s very genuine. Some will think all his chat is scouse claptrap just for show but for me there’s a real sincerity about him. He cares.

Lose him and we will struggle to get his calibre in under this current regime. Even if we start poorly he needs all the support in the world and I hope fans get right behind him.

Showed what he was capable of post January last season after he was backed in the transfer window. Surely it's not complicated; if we'd have had even just a decent summer window I'd be extremely confident of reaching the play offs, but it's looking less likely by the day

I back KR......until we lose the opening game of the season when I come out in a cold sweat and PANIC.

I agree with the consensus that KR isn't the problem. I despair at his flaws and celebrate his achievements in equal measure - pretty much how I react to every Oxford manager!

His passion is evident. He throws himself into the whole ethos of the club, bothering to learn the history, the attitude and opinions of fans and what locales are important to the club. I can't think of many managers who do that. It's a great touch to know someone who respects the local nature of clubs of our size. His brand of football is easy on the eye too and when it clicks, it's up there with what we played under MApp.

His main flaw is his motormouth. Gabbling nonsense whether a win of a defeat, often overpromising and a tendancy to say things he then regrets. As fans we pull apart every word he says and I understand why. Another mild concern that I voiced last season was the possibility of diminishing returns with him. At MK Dons, he did a great job, at Charlton an average one, at us, well - a mixed bag. Lower league managers do tend to follow this pattern - Andy Scott, Dave Penney, Sean O'Driscoll, Phil Brown etc. All started well and then whatever their lustre was (a tan in the case of Brown) faded with each club they took on. Is KR in that category? Remains to be seen.

One concern I do have over the groundhog day that has been pre-season is whether our main targets have been too big for the club. Were we ever seriously in for Marcus Browne when Middlesbrough is where he ended up? I worry that perhaps KR may have been aiming for better when the purse strings would have never have stretched that far.

I agree with the consensus that KR isn't the problem. I despair at his flaws and celebrate his achievements in equal measure - pretty much how I react to every Oxford manager!

His passion is evident. He throws himself into the whole ethos of the club, bothering to learn the history, the attitude and opinions of fans and what locales are important to the club. I can't think of many managers who do that. It's a great touch to know someone who respects the local nature of clubs of our size. His brand of football is easy on the eye too and when it clicks, it's up there with what we played under MApp.

His main flaw is his motormouth. Gabbling nonsense whether a win of a defeat, often overpromising and a tendancy to say things he then regrets. As fans we pull apart every word he says and I understand why. Another mild concern that I voiced last season was the possibility of diminishing returns with him. At MK Dons, he did a great job, at Charlton an average one, at us, well - a mixed bag. Lower league managers do tend to follow this pattern - Andy Scott, Dave Penney, Sean O'Driscoll, Phil Brown etc. All started well and then whatever their lustre was (a tan in the case of Brown) faded with each club they took on. Is KR in that category? Remains to be seen.

One concern I do have over the groundhog day that has been pre-season is whether our main targets have been too big for the club. Were we ever seriously in for Marcus Browne when Middlesbrough is where he ended up? I worry that perhaps KR may have been aiming for better when the purse strings would have never have stretched that far.

I agree about his ‘motormouth’ but this is where I sometimes think people in football are misinterpreted. It’s a unique industry in that it’s customers, us, elevate players and managers to this inflated status and we expect them to deliver on all fronts including interviews. Had a lot of these players and managers not had a god given talent to kick a football they’d be emptying bins or driving a forklift, like the rest of us, and with respect to Robbo I think he’d probably be one so I do take a lot of his bluster with a pinch of salt. In another life he’s just another gobby scouser working down the docks !

He’s very fan like as a manger and very open, too open for his own good sometimes, but that’s just his passion spilling over and we can relate to a lot of his interviews because he’s very often echoing the fan on the street. It’s like when he comes out and names targets sometimes, it’s like he can’t contain himself and (bit like the ‘in the knows’ on here) and wants to share it and believe in it.

He ticks a lot more good boxes than he does bad ones in my opinion.

I have been particularly impressed, in KR’s time here, with his tactical creativity and flexibility and his ability to bring young players through, and, as bad as this window has been, it is for these reasons that I think talk of relegation is hyperbolic.

That first season, the midfield diamond he ultimately implemented without doubt saved us from relegation, and last season, moving mousinho forward to CDM was inspired. It may take him a few games, but whatever our squad come the end of this window, I have tentative faith that he’ll be able to figure out a system that works with the players we have and we’ll be fine.

The progress last season of Baptiste, Whyte (looked fully out of his depth against Barnsley this time last year, and now look at him), Sykes and even arguably Browne, Brannagan and Sinclair was remarkable. Given his track record with young players, I am looking forward to seeing who comes through this season, and I think they could play an important part over the 46 games.

He's a good trainer. Not a great one and has some not inconsiderable flaws.
That said, he is the living, breathing embodiment of OUFC as it stands at the moment.
If he goes (a less chaotic team comes along like we did while he was at Charlton), then we will be in the brown stuff.
I back him (almost) unconditionally and hope he can get the best out of this season.
And I hope he stays healthy, given the past couple of interviews.

Pro KR!

I think he is doing his best and it's not his fault that the owners are not backing him. He is a real football man with passion and I wish those who criticise at every turn would see its the owners who are the problem!

Absolutely, well put. His hands are tied, by those who spoke up and said they would support him.
The board are rotten to the core, in terms of their priorities, and the lies they have seemingly told, unless the next few weeks there is a turn around.
KR came on board as part of the team, tigers team, with a shared vision. Now unless they support him, as they promised, they will have been seen to throw him under the proverbial bus.

I agree that it is good that he has consistently been playing Lopes, James, Lofthouse, Jones and Macreadie in the PSFs. And he would probably have played Spasov and Elechi if they had been fit. But don't forget that last season all seven were playing for our Under 18s side. They are not ready for L1 yet.

Totally agree. Having seen all bar 2 of the PSF's, both the youth and U23 are nowhere near ready for the first team. KR doesn't always see the potential damage that could be done by throwing these players into first team action, or even having them on the bench, and that includes Jones. I have no doubt they all have the potential to be good players, but that's for the future.

Good to know there’s a groundswell of positive feeling for KR.

Worth bookmarking this page for opinions if we have a start as woeful as last season - and there’s plenty predicting that at present!

Good to know there’s a groundswell of positive feeling for KR.

Worth bookmarking this page for opinions if we have a start as woeful as last season - and there’s plenty predicting that at present!
Yes, but this season we will know where to place the blame.

I'm cautious about backing KR to the hilt. Whilst we know where the blame lies in this transfer window, Karl hasn't been totally faultless since he's been here. Let's not forget we were average under him when he took over, and arguably worse in the first half of the season after.

Whilst KR should get backing after a complete lack of support from those at the top of the club, this is a results business and if we do find ourselves in a relegation scrap again (with our thin-but-talented squad), then questions would have to be asked.

Sorry but I don’t think any true Oxford fan actually wants KR to fail. Just because lots of fans are being negative right now and some will blame KR. In fact we all want one thing, OUFC to be successful. The problem is right now that’s looking very doubtful. So KR, Tiger and anyone else involved in running the club should be ashamed of themselves. I know I’m ashamed of Oxford right now. I wish I could just walk away and not give a s**t. So far Tiger and KR have done a terrible job.
Oh and before everyone comes on here spouting off about keeping us up they got us into that mess in the first place!

If the board showed his commitment to the club we would be fine, Karl appears to be totally committed to Oxford United.
This is all we can expect from the manager, he has my full support for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom