HMRC?

A major relief in the short term

Still, how do you forget to pay a tax bill?

Dear old tiger really needs to up his game.

Well, quite. That would be a pretty low move though, not paying an outstanding tax bill and letting the new owner deal with it instead.
I find it hard to believe that it will have come as a surprise to Tiger. I’ll buy the line of “gap in finances” as the ownership changed hands, this time. If it happpens again, well that would be a different story.

HMRC do not issue a winding up petition for missing one payment.
For quite some time now, I felt that we are a ship with a Captain and no officers.

Seems a very logical and plausible explanation. Some just LOVE to have a dig or try and stir a frenzy. Hopefully when Darryl has got his final payments, he'll be gone and we don't have to listen to this incessant sniping at him, it's all just very tedious IMO.

Assuming this is genuine, how likely is it that Tiger was made aware of this impending issue? If he wasn't told, we could have a very nasty legal situation between Tiger and Eales ahead. Tiger could be within his rights to sue Eales.
Have to assume somewhere between 6 and 7 figures of unpaid tax.
Wowzers!!

Due Diligence would have identified such issues (assuming it was dealt with properly if course).

I would also be amazed if any takeover agreement didn’t have warranties included to cover any “hidden” issues or any subsequent issues arising that relate to the period prior to takeover.

For quite some time now, I felt that we are a ship with a Captain and no officers.

More likely no money in the pot until takeover completed.

Hmrc do not issue a winder unless there has been fairly regular non payment history .

I speculate that oufc a had time to pay deal for tax arrears in place and they then missed a payment.

A worrying piece of news.

All obviously not well financially pre Tiger.

Post Tiger ?

?

Well, quite. That would be a pretty low move though, not paying an outstanding tax bill and letting the new owner deal with it instead.

EDIT: It's also worth remembering that Darryl is supposedly still involved with the club, at least at some level, so it's not as if this is something which could've been missed in a "clean break" transaction.
I'd guess that the takeover involved the club agreeing a statement of assets and liabilities as at for instance 31 Jan, and that Tiger would then be responsible for those assets and liabilities going forward.

So if there was a VAT bill due or PAYE and NIC, then it's up to Tiger to finance the club and pay those liabilities which he should have known about when he bought the club.

The alternative being that Darryl leaves say £500K in a club bank account and increases the price of the club by £500K, which Tiger still has to pay?

On a side note, does anybody know who this Ed Hawkins is and why he has some sort of agenda against us? That tweet wasn’t exactly written from a neutral perspective.

From the other thread talking about this:

Iirc, HMRC don't muck around with football clubs who are late paying after being burnt in the past and with clubs like Southend using it as an overdraft facility. Again iirc, they pretty much go straight to the nuclear option of the Courts.

A major relief in the short term

Still, how do you forget to pay a tax bill?

Dear old tiger really needs to up his game.
Sorry, just for clarity, do you buy the club's version of events or do you still think it's 'long-standing'?

On a side note, does anybody know who this Ed Hawkins is and why he has some sort of agenda against us? That tweet wasn’t exactly written from a neutral perspective.

Ask him @thehawk

Back
Top Bottom