HMRC?

I agree that the attitude of some on here is a bit odd. A business (any business) not paying it's bills on time, especially the tax man, is a bloody huge red flag. And saying 'well, Southend have done it a few times' is hardly a reason for optimism. On the one hand the club are raising peoples' hopes about a new stadium, on the other they aren't paying their bills. And hoping a bloke who has joined the board (supposedly a pretty minor shareholding) is suddenly going to be Father Christmas while blithely waving away what is actually going on, is to take 'glass half full' to some lengths.

What I can’t work out is the club had a winding up petition back in March and it was duly settled, surely Tiger would not want this to be repeated s I’m sure a petition to wind up must cost?

Can't understand the determination of some people on here to downplay this. Apart from anything else, when it gets to this stage OUFC will now have to pay additional costs as well as the original bill.

Agreed, If there is a reasonable explanation then let's hear it!

I always love your responses - you bounce higher than any rubber ball I’ve ever encountered, every time. Why are you so angry 24/7?

Do I think it matters that the club is repeatedly getting winding up orders? Yes. Yes I do. Just the same as I would think it mattered if my business kept getting red notices through the door, or was getting phone calls to say bailiffs were coming round. I think that’s REALLY concerning. The question is, why don’t you?
Although you are right regarding payment of bills the club have been issued with a big fat zero in the winding up orders. I used to drink in a pub where someone worked for a garden / tool hire business near Heythrop Park and he said Kassam was thyworst payer ever followed by all the other rich people/ companies. Before anyone says they have there is a difference between a winding up order and petition.

Last edited:
Maybe the level of complacency from some people on this issue is because HMRC has a bit of a history in football for using winding-up petitions as a way of getting paid. They have used them on a regular basis for years. According to the BBC, between 2012-13 and 2016-17, HMRC handed out at least one winding-up petition to 17 clubs of the 92. Some clubs were serial offenders and had multiple petitions (Bolton - 5 etc)

Clubs that have faced winding-up petitions between 2012-13 and 2016-17
Championship: Bolton, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich Town, Leeds United
League One: Oldham Athletic, Southend United, Swindon Town, Port Vale, Bury
League Two: Leyton Orient, Hartlepool United, Notts County, Mansfield Town, Accrington Stanley, Wycombe Wanderers, Northampton Town, Carlisle United.

The most imporant question for us is surely: does the club have the cash to pay the bill now? If the answer is yes then it's up to the new FD to put in place a process that prevents this brinksmanship in future. If the answer is no, the consequences don't bear thinking about!

At an old company I worked for we used to do some work at the kassam, we were forever being paid late and being pulled off the job until he paid up, he is not skint is he? Loads of companies are late payers, its nothing out of the ordinary.

Tiger might well be a skint fraudster, but missing a few payments is not definitive proof of that.

At an old company I worked for we used to do some work at the kassam, we were forever being paid late and being pulled off the job until he paid up, he is not skint is he? Loads of companies are late payers, its nothing out of the ordinary.

Tiger might well be a skint fraudster, but missing a few payments is not definitive proof of that.

I thought a law was introduced where bills had to be paid within a certain time limit to other companies, this I think was brought in to prevent these companies from going out of business through late payments

Lol!! Sorry can people not distinguish between a company being owed a few quid by another company with a 30, 60 or whatever payment agreement and not submitting tax payments to Her Magisties Revenue and Customs?

I owed a mate a few hundred quid once and delayed paying him but I’m not using it as a direct example lol.

This thread is hilarious. But worrying. Some people just refuse to admit that getting a winding up order is a big deal. Twice too.

Its a monumental f**k up.

I want to know @myles' source for his rash claim that the 'club hasn't got the money stashed away n a shoe box'! In this, the best of all possible worlds, all the club management does is for the best. As any true supporter who hasn't an agenda will agree.

I
Now I know you're a windup merchant. No fan or anybody with sense will expect us to lose tomorrow. We haven't lost in 6 to a team in our division let alone one in the league below. That is not to say we shouldn't give FGR respect and mentally prepare for this game like any other. To think we will lose it beforehand is just bizarre.
I was commenting on the PR own goal ref HMRC.

I think either the club needs to give an explanation, or Oxvox needs to find out what’s going on as soon as possible. As things stand negative speculation is only going to get worse. People just want honesty, they’ll take bad news as long as the club is open with the truth. Likewise if it is a case of ‘nothing to see here’ let’s nip it in the bud now.

The longer there is no statement from the club the more worrying it seems.

Setting aside the fact that a second winding up petition in a fairly short order is indicative of financial mismanagement, of course it’s going to have some effect on the day to day running of the club. The club has hardly been stashing away the tax due in a savings account, ready to pay at the last moment.

So, someone now needs to find the money to satisfy the tax man. Which means that funds which may have been allocated for other purposes, eg January transfers, is now needed elsewhere.

There is also the point that HMRC will now be keeping a much closer eye on the club and are likely to be less tolerant of any future late payment.
You persist with the fiction that the club has been served with a winding up order. This is patently untrue and you know it. You seem to delight in being a persistent mischief maker. From the way you post it seems clear that your parade has been shat on at some point in the recent past.

You persist with the fiction that the club has been served with a winding up order. This is patently untrue and you know it. You seem to delight in being a persistent mischief maker. From the way you post it seems clear that your parade has been shat on at some point in the recent past.
If you actually read my post you’ll see that I have spoken of a winding up PETITION. This is fact. And it’s the second one HMRC have lodged with the courts in the past 9 months. So, if you want to have a pop at those making untrue allegations, you should turn that focus on yourself.

The most worrying thing is people like you who a) have some bizarre agenda which means any questioning of the club should be immediately leapt upon; and b) insist on playing the man rather than the ball.

Now I know you're a windup merchant. No fan or anybody with sense will expect us to lose tomorrow. We haven't lost in 6 to a team in our division let alone one in the league below. That is not to say we shouldn't give FGR respect and mentally prepare for this game like any other. To think we will lose it beforehand is just bizarre.

Woosh. Shirley?

Back
Top Bottom