Game of Thrones - WARNING, CONTAINS SPOILERS

I can't believe the show will be that basic as it ends, but they basically avoided saying why the White Walkers were even marching south until the last episode, so anything is possible. I almost wondered if it was for gits and shiggles at one point. And we have to believe someone who knows everything saying from the past, present and future in Bran knows nothing. Something is slightly off.

In some respects, it would make sense that the Battle of Winterfell is a side show to allow the Night King to go down to Kings Landing, where the survivors of Winerfell then battle to gain control of the Iron Throne. Or some such nonsense
Why are they walking South?

Holy moly, what a claustrophobic and intense episode that was. I know some people didn't like how the battle was so messy and confusing, but it was sooooo much better than some of the linear battles we see as it would replicate how it happened. Some very powerful iconography in there.

Shorter thoughts:
The Nights king should have been present more in earlier seasons - that story always felt slightly undercooked for how big it could be.
The Nights King look of "I can do this ish all day" was a nice touch
Where did all those Crows go when Bran sent them off? What were they up to?
I'm kind of glad more people survived than we thought. I'm glad Lyanna Mormont died, the act tired on me.
Will we get Clegane Bowl?
The Dothraki swords on fire thing was a clever move

So, on the one hand, it was an epic episode. Just a spectacular, exhilarating thrill ride. And 80 minutes in, I still wasn't sure how they were going to get out of it.....figured that Bran had some clever trick up his sleeve; but in the end, their resolution was great and gave purpose to Arya's whole arc - seven seasons of training, of one form or another, turned her into precisely the killing machine she needed to be to save the world (whilst Jon and Dany and all the other heroes floundered).

On the other hand, there's this nagging feeling in my head - which started last season - that the show has lost its nerve. It's still delivering bigger, more impressive set pieces than any other TV show ever has......but it's no longer ripping out your heart like it used to.

There were plenty of deaths last night, but they were all either very minor characters in which we were little invested (Edd, little Mormont) or they were significant, supporting players whose redemptive arcs were complete (Theon, Jorah, Beric, Melisandre). All of them had reached a logical end to their journeys and their deaths were noble and gave them closure. The show used to delight in wiping its characters out mid-arc, which brought some real tragedy to the show. Tragedy that it's now mostly given up in favour of spectacle.

Still - three more episodes, and plenty more opportunities to bring that back. I remain convinced that either Jon or Dany or possible both is going to go...…..

So, on the one hand, it was an epic episode. Just a spectacular, exhilarating thrill ride. And 80 minutes in, I still wasn't sure how they were going to get out of it.....figured that Bran had some clever trick up his sleeve; but in the end, their resolution was great and gave purpose to Arya's whole arc - seven seasons of training, of one form or another, turned her into precisely the killing machine she needed to be to save the world (whilst Jon and Dany and all the other heroes floundered).

On the other hand, there's this nagging feeling in my head - which started last season - that the show has lost its nerve. It's still delivering bigger, more impressive set pieces than any other TV show ever has......but it's no longer ripping out your heart like it used to.

There were plenty of deaths last night, but they were all either very minor characters in which we were little invested (Edd, little Mormont) or they were significant, supporting players whose redemptive arcs were complete (Theon, Jorah, Beric, Melisandre). All of them had reached a logical end to their journeys and their deaths were noble and gave them closure. The show used to delight in wiping its characters out mid-arc, which brought some real tragedy to the show. Tragedy that it's now mostly given up in favour of spectacle.

Still - three more episodes, and plenty more opportunities to bring that back. I remain convinced that either Jon or Dany or possible both is going to go...…..
It's almost like when they didn't have GRRM cut throat material to rely on, they've demurred on the deaths. There are certain well liked mid level characters that ultimately wouldn't be missed if they had died. Won't name them, but one more prominent name would have worked and rounded off their journey nicely.

But it's really nit picking on what has been a cleverly shot and planned series. In comparison with the listless nature of programs like the Walking Dead, GoT has been peerless over 8 seasons

I don't think its a spoiler to say that episode was epic!

Just fantastic, I loved all of it. Best bit of television I have watched in ages.

It's almost like when they didn't have GRRM cut throat material to rely on, they've demurred on the deaths.

Agree - the last truly great GoT death was Hodor.....which was after the end of the current books, but apparently came directly from the mind of GRRM.

Since then, they've gotten a bit timid......and I think the show is more conventional as a result.

I shall be catching up with s8 ep3 tomorrow evening ....and am looking forward to trying to spot my son in law in his 18second cameo in one of the battle scenes as well

I shall be catching up with s8 ep3 tomorrow evening ....and am looking forward to trying to spot my son in law in his 18second cameo in one of the battle scenes as well
Not sure you'll be able to see him amongst all the smoke/dust, that seemed to blot out half the action. It wasnt a great episode in my view.

Not sure you'll be able to see him amongst all the smoke/dust, that seemed to blot out half the action. It wasnt a great episode in my view.
Hes under a lot of make up/costume too :rolleyes:

Why though?
Because the 3 eyed raven can see everything that has ever happened and they want to destroy mankind and their history, as if they've never existed.

But they've s**t out on that plan now!

Because the 3 eyed raven can see everything that has ever happened and they want to destroy mankind and their history, as if they've never existed.

But they've s**t out on that plan now!
Thanks. That’s helpful otherwise I’d have been clueless!

Back
Top Bottom