Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
I think if Frank did get it then he would surprise many, we would certainly be”Punching above our weight “ - Would raise our profile massively, would cheer the whole place up, would be a better prospect for future investors and am sure he would have great contacts in the game and fantastic advisors, hope he gets it, rumour is certainly gathering pace, also heared last week that Tiger hasn’t come up with the goods, maybe just maybe Daryl is getting a lot of unnecessary flack, just saying.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I think if Frank did get it then he would surprise many, we would certainly be”Punching above our weight “ - Would raise our profile massively, would cheer the whole place up, would be a better prospect for future investors and am sure he would have great contacts in the game and fantastic advisors, hope he gets it, rumour is certainly gathering pace, am also hearing Tiger hasn’t come up with the goods, maybe just maybe Daryl is getting a lot of unnecessary flack, just saying.
I wouldn't say you would be punching above your weight as he hasn't had any managerial experience. He would certainly be a risk but he could turn out to be very successful risk. Maradona was a brilliant footballer but a s**t manger but Zidane was a brilliant footballer but also a great manger so it could be worth the gamble.

Darren Patterson was an ok footballer, knew the level, had his badges and the respect of the players. We was s**t ur honour.

We won’t know until he’s been and done it, if it doesn’t work out we will be a l2 side looking for a new manager. If it does we could be a championship side looking for a new manager [emoji6]. Big stakes gamble

Does he? Does he know how to get the most out a load of players that are way below the level he’s ever played or worked at? Simon greyson does, he’s done it 4 times. Mark warburton does he’s done it while also bringing through a wealth of young talent. Danny cowley and Kevin Nolan are doing week in week out now. Frank ? He might be able to, like pep who has way more experience of coaching players, he may not

I agree with most of this, but isn't Kevin Nolan at Notts County a very similar situation to Lampard coming here? No managerial experience, takes up a job below where he plied his own trade for the vast majority of his career? I'd argue he's an example to support bringing in someone like Lampard

Now is not the time to experiment with a man with no managerial experience. We need someone who knows and has been successful in L1 and the Champ and can make an immediate difference. Frank L would be an unwelcome distraction. Ps NOT Phil Brown, thanks

I agree with most of this, but isn't Kevin Nolan at Notts County a very similar situation to Lampard coming here? No managerial experience, takes up a job below where he plied his own trade for the vast majority of his career? I'd argue he's an example to support bringing in someone like Lampard

Lampard and Nolan are totally different characters though. Lampard went about his business on the pitch purring like a Rolls Royce where as Nolan was the Land Rover ploughing through the mud and s**t with all guns blazing. Nolan demands the respect of his players through his personality, I reckon Lampard would struggle in that area.

I'm not convinced that any manager, experienced or not, will have the ability to keep the current squad of players in league 1. For me, whoever takes on the job, it's about a summer rebuild.

I'm not convinced that any manager, experienced or not, will have the ability to keep the current squad of players in league 1. For me, whoever takes on the job, it's about a summer rebuild.

On that basis you mean in League 2 then?

Worst thing that could happen to the club is relegation and that wont happen

I’ve just had to check the league table because if you were an outsider you’d think we were in the relegation zone!

To stay in league 1 we need 4 wins and 3 draws in the last 15 games. That’s really not much to ask for. In the last 15 games we have played we have won 4, drawn 4 lost 7. It would take something really special for us to get relegated.

I’d be excited to have Lampard here. He has the perfect number 2 in Faz to help him as well.

We moaned in the summer when we weren’t signing young players who had never played in the football league before. We moaned when we signed journey men.

Why can’t it be the same for a manager? They have to start someone where.

Would the people who are against Lampard moan if he went for a job in the premier league, saying it was arrogant to think just because he is Frank Lampard that he deserves a top job?

Everyone has to start somewhere so why not start at OUFC.

How do you come to that conclusion?

The same way that i explained why when after pep went to stop silly talk of the play off as that would need a run of 7/8 straight wins and to win around 14 of those remaining.

There are 12 teams below us (within 9 pts) so they all have to do similar to above and keep maintaining it whilst we lose 7/8 on the bounce or fail to collect an average 1 pt per game. we may be looking poor at the moment but there is enough ability to manage that.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Like I said I’m not at all against him coming here. Just not sure now is the best time

what better time than when in real terms there is little pressure, the expectency of fans (many of them) was a mid table finish which is where we are...assess the players then in the summer with the right support build the team he wants to play the way he prefers.

The arguments here are becoming circular and even examples of best and worst practice don’t always help.

Zidane fits the category of great player, great first-time manager but Maradonna goes to show how it doesn’t always work out. Simon Grayson shows that even with four promotions at L1 level, turning around the basket case that is Sunderland is no easy feat despite all his experience. There will be cases to support and argue against every viewpoint here.

Even we have form here. Ramon Diaz arrested a fatal looking slide after Rix was rightfully relieved of his duties despite having zero experience of English League 2 football and yet Brian Talbot, Jim Smith and Gary Waddock who all have FL promotions on their impressive CVs could do nothing to prevent stinking runs of form – two of those managers were culpable for our horrific sink into the non-league.

In all fairness, we can argue the toss over Frank Lampard all day but it comes back to what I said earlier in the thread. He’s a complete unknown in this arena and could be anything. With the right right-hand man, I think he could be steered to be a decent manager so I’m not as terrified as others are should he be unveiled as manager. My main doubt is whether he could relay his ideas to League 1 standard players.

The arguments here are becoming circular and even examples of best and worst practice don’t always help.

Zidane fits the category of great player, great first-time manager but Maradonna goes to show how it doesn’t always work out. Simon Grayson shows that even with four promotions at L1 level, turning around the basket case that is Sunderland is no easy feat despite all his experience. There will be cases to support and argue against every viewpoint here.

Even we have form here. Ramon Diaz arrested a fatal looking slide after Rix was rightfully relieved of his duties despite having zero experience of English League 2 football and yet Brian Talbot, Jim Smith and Gary Waddock who all have FL promotions on their impressive CVs could do nothing to prevent stinking runs of form – two of those managers were culpable for our horrific sink into the non-league.

In all fairness, we can argue the toss over Frank Lampard all day but it comes back to what I said earlier in the thread. He’s a complete unknown in this arena and could be anything. With the right right-hand man, I think he could be steered to be a decent manager so I’m not as terrified as others are should he be unveiled as manager. My main doubt is whether he could relay his ideas to League 1 standard players.

You just gone circular in ur own post [emoji6]

I like Simon Grayson, but he could be a busted flush after Sunderland! Or he might have a point to prove and do,well.
The truth is we really don’t know.
Lampard would be a breath of fresh air and if we can get a couple of Chelsea U21players in to replace our ageing dinosaurs then that might just transform our season.

No for me. Like others have said the timing is awful for this sort of move.

Looking at the club we seem from the outside to be in a bit of a state.
- We have an owner who may still be interested in us or not we have no idea as he has mostly gone missing this season. Even if he is fully committed we seem not to have a cohesive strategy at the club this season. The summer was a shambles, now this window is also turning into a shambles. We do recruit, we don't recruit. We buy young talent, we buy foreign players. We sell players with little or no strategy about bringing in their replacements. We spend money, we don't. I have literally no idea what will happen next at our club and I am not sure many other s do. This is not a solid well thought out plan from a committed owner and chairman.
- Our squad is a mess. Selling our best players and poor recruitment has left us with a large squad with a gaps in certain areas and a number of sub standard players (either in skill or fitness). We lack lack wide defenders, but have center-backs a plenty. We lack any pace in midfield, and possibly a bit of strength there too. We lack decent fitness and some quality in our forward options. There are a number of players in the squad currently that do not look like league 1 players. There are also an unfortunately large number of injuries (some predicable, others unlucky). Add to that the lack of motivation and confidence and fixing this is going to be a challenge.

Whoever takes this on is in for a challenge to sort out. With the current squad this should be doable (enough to have us conformable in mid table) with strong leadership and a clear plan. Even then we are going to have to paper over the holes in the squad (as i doubt there is time left to recruit the players we need). However should we start selling players in the window and we could be in big trouble (lets hope our chairman realises this).

What I am saying is this is a far cry from where we were in the summer. As management jobs go this is no cake walk. It will take a strong manager to stabilize the ship (stop these woeful performances) and build a confidence to keep us safe in mid table (play offs are a complete joke as a target). It is not a time trying radical new systems or aim to play the most wonderful football. This is a shoring up exercise until a summer rebuild.

Now given all of this does it sound like a job for a rookie or an experienced head. A rookie would be a massive gamble (Rix!!!!). The stakes a relegation battle.

Glamour or no glamour, I want a manager who can sort out the current level of woeful performances and bring some stability with an aim to regroup in the summer. I think the best bet for that is an experienced head.

- We have an owner who may still be interested in us or not we have no idea as he has mostly gone missing this season. Even if he is fully committed we seem not to have a cohesive strategy at the club this season. The summer was a shambles, now this window is also turning into a shambles. We do recruit, we don't recruit. We buy young talent, we buy foreign players. We sell players with little or no strategy about bringing in their replacements. We spend money, we don't. I have literally no idea what will happen next at our club and I am not sure many other s do. This is not a solid well thought out plan from a committed owner and chairman.
- Our squad is a mess. Selling our best players and poor recruitment has left us with a large squad with a gaps in certain areas and a number of sub standard players (either in skill or fitness). We lack lack wide defenders, but have center-backs a plenty. We lack any pace in midfield, and possibly a bit of strength there too. We lack decent fitness and some quality in our forward options. There are a number of players in the squad currently that do not look like league 1 players. There are also an unfortunately large number of injuries (some predicable, others unlucky). Add to that the lack of motivation and confidence and fixing this is going to be a challenge.

Whoever takes this on is in for a challenge to sort out. With the current squad this should be doable (enough to have us conformable in mid table) with strong leadership and a clear plan. Even then we are going to have to paper over the holes in the squad (as i doubt there is time left to recruit the players we need). However should we start selling players in the window and we could be in big trouble (lets hope our chairman realises this).

What I am saying is this is a far cry from where we were in the summer. As management jobs go this is no cake walk. It will take a strong manager to stabilize the ship (stop these woeful performances) and build a confidence to keep us safe in mid table (play offs are a complete joke as a target). It is not a time trying radical new systems or aim to play the most wonderful football. This is a shoring up exercise until a summer rebuild.

Now given all of this does it sound like a job for a rookie or an experienced head. A rookie would be a massive gamble (Rix!!!!). The stakes a relegation battle.

Glamour or no glamour, I want a manager who can sort out the current level of woeful performances and bring some stability with an aim to regroup in the summer. I think the best bet for that is an experienced head.

Totally agree with this but as you alluded to at the start, a manager can only be as good as the people above him alllow him to be

Very good post.

I’d rather have a ‘shambles’in the top half of League 1 than near the bottom of the Conference.

I cannot believe that the supporters general perspective on the club is as grim as some of the regulars on this forum. I’ll say this again - some of you have very short memories.

Just remind me why exactly is Eales still considered to be the devil incarnate?

Many of you wanted Pep out. He’s delivered on that . But still the moaning continues.

I bet we get a decent manager in and I’m still persuaded we will be comfortably mid table,

Particularly when some of the injuries clear up.

To stay in league 1 we need 4 wins and 3 draws in the last 15 games. That’s really not much to ask for. In the last 15 games we have played we have won 4, drawn 4 lost 7. It would take something really special for us to get relegated.

Hang on, you said it would take something special for us to get relegated, but you quote our previous form which is 1 point better than we would need to be safe. Far from needing something special, I would argue that in that case its one less win and we'd be deep in it. Given our performances at the moment, thats not beyond the realms of difficulty.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom