Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
I’d rather have a ‘shambles’in the top half of League 1 than near the bottom of the Conference.

I cannot believe that the supporters general perspective on the club is as grim as some of the regulars on this forum. I’ll say this again - some of you have very short memories.

Just remind me why exactly is Eales still considered to be the devil incarnate?

Many of you wanted Pep out. He’s delivered on that . But still the moaning continues.

I bet we get a decent manager in and I’m still persuaded we will be comfortably mid table,

Particularly when some of the injuries clear up.
It is the fact that well all remember the bad times that we are concerned now. We know if the club is not run properly we know what will happen, and none of us want that to happen again.

I think Eales has done a great job up to a point. For me that point was last summer. Since then its almost like having a completely different owner. The fact he is stopped communicating with us and apparently tore up the clubs business model in the summer, plus all the take over talk has left many fans unsure of his commitment and motives.

As for Pep I thought if we kept him we would have bumbled through the season finishing lower end of the table but not relegated. Then unless he had showed any signs of building a team that was genuinely moving forwards (which so far we have seen no signs of) that would have been enough for me for the club to say bye bye to him then. The timing of the change now is to be honest odd if not detrimental.

I agree the right manager would see us comfortably mid table this season. The wrong one though, especially if we sell ledson, Rothwell, and Eastwood could see us relegated. The simple fact is Before the summer I had complete faith in what Eales was doing for the club, now can any of us be sure, and what more can we afford to be complacent?

If we’d kept Clotet we could well have lost another few games and been deep in the proverbial.
Eales has acted and we should be grateful for that.
Faz May be a stabiliser short term but if Lampard came in he might well want to have a new assistant....maybe at the end of the season.
I think in terms of promotion this season, we should forget it and concentrate on staying up and getting some wins. Next season could be our year. I can’t see us catching Blackburn and Wigan. The teams below look different class. Charlton and Shrewsbury look strong and then there’s Bradford City and one or two others who look like consolidating their strong places for play off contention

Hang on, you said it would take something special for us to get relegated, but you quote our previous form which is 1 point better than we would need to be safe. Far from needing something special, I would argue that in that case its one less win and we'd be deep in it. Given our performances at the moment, thats not beyond the realms of difficulty.

It would need a fair few teams to have a complete turn of form as well. We’re 12/1 to be relegated, the same as Fleetwood. There are 10 teams with shorter odds.

Bookies are rarely wrong and have us for a mid table finish which which most realistic fans would agree with.

I’m surprised we’re as big as 12s

We probably won’t go down but our current form has us surviving by the skin of our teeth.

It’s what you would call a value bet

This is what the club say on the official website.

Derek Fazakerley will take charge of the first team until further notice, and the search for a permanent replacement has already begun. The Board is focused on maintaining a challenge for promotion to the Championship and will make an announcement regarding a new Manager as soon as possible.

Smacks of complacency to me, or is it just PR guff? Talk of promotion is fantasy.

If memory serves me correctly Gary Waddock did not have much time to prove himself, AND he signed Danny. I could be wrong, of course.

Derek Fazakerley will take charge of the first team until further notice, and the search for a permanent replacement has already begun. The Board is focused on maintaining a challenge for promotion to the Championship and will make an announcement regarding a new Manager as soon as possible.

Smacks of complacency to me, or is it just PR guff? Talk of promotion is fantasy.

They dont say this season

I think we will drop places and finish around 16 -18 but still stay up thanks to our early points, despite the quite regular poor performances we manage to pick up points every now and then, add in the bottom half of this league being crap and we should be ok.

Given that I can’t see the problem in giving Lampard the job, he only needs to be average to achieve safety, the hardened league one veteran we get will end up being some average manager, at least this way he gets 6 months to get used to the division and plan for next season.

After all this chatter Fazarkerly will get the job till the end of the season obviously.

If we take a risk now we wont know how bad he is until next Christmas, then thats 2 seasons (and a lot of budget) written off instead of one.

But every manager is a risk? No one guarantees success with what we pay managers and players, we simply can’t afford the top tier league one signings like parachute payment backed Wigan and billionaire owned Blackburn.

I noticed that as well. I think many fans assume Clotet was sacked because of concerns about a possible relegation dogfight, but no apparently it's because of concerns we won't be promoted.

That being the case, the dismissal of Clotet wasn't too soon as some have said, rather it was too late as most of us had decided some time ago that promotion was looking increasingly fanciful.

So why the obsession with promotion? I also remember last year that DE was still talking about promotion when the rest of us had conceded it was unlikely. Does he perhaps not know enough about football to recognise a mid table side when he sees it? He is a very positive person so maybe his glass is permanently half full?

I guess it's obvious that he sees the sale and value of Oxford tied closely to whether it is an actual or potential Championship club. As things stand we are a League One club without a ground, so not massively attractive for investment. But a Championship club? That's very different.

Maybe there's a reason why it's important for Eales that we were considered Championship material this season.

Waddock did sign Hilton. He didn’t have time to sign anyone else.

It would need a fair few teams to have a complete turn of form as well. We’re 12/1 to be relegated, the same as Fleetwood. There are 10 teams with shorter odds.

Bookies are rarely wrong and have us for a mid table finish which which most realistic fans would agree with.

So now the argument is the bookies don't believe it so it wont happen? The bookies didnt think we would drop in to the conference when we did. We were favourites every year to win the league, even when we got promoted back in to the football league we didn't win it.

I don't disagree that we will finish mid table but quite frankly I don't have a clue, no one does.

We are just as likely to go on a run with a new manager as we are to get dragged in to it.

My point was that you have declared that we will be safe, but then used our last 17 games as proof of this when one result against us would see us in trouble (from a historic points view). If anything, a realistic fan would note that that actually shows a worrying trend.

We've got a tough run of games to finish the season with, harder than the games you mentioned in the previous 17. The club cannot afford to be complacent thinking we are too good to go down, or we will be safe, because this season may well hinge on a single game at some point. The club should be looking at relegation as a very real threat and doing everything in its power to ensure that doesn't happen.

If memory serves me correctly Gary Waddock did not have much time to prove himself, AND he signed Danny. I could be wrong, of course.

So you’re saying there’s a chance we might sign Hylton back?

ok then the question to you is is it likely that some 12 clubs below us will all suddenly go on winning runs of 6/7 then keep maintaining that form whilst we fail to average 1 pt per game?

what odds would you offer on us not being relegated ?

ok then the question to you is is it likely that some 12 clubs below us will all suddenly go on winning runs of 6/7 then keep maintaining that form whilst we fail to average 1 pt per game?

what odds would you offer on us not being relegated ?
Honestly 4/1 if i was a bookie. All it takes is a run of a couple of games without losing and we're be almost safe. If we get this new manager effect that every other team seems to get then we'll almost be safe. The players just need confidence and someone to inspire them.

I think the form has been down to the fact that us the fans are probably been the harshest critics of them and they don't like that. They have probably been getting two different messages, one from PEP that they were doing fine and then the boos from fans, has left them baffled.
We need a manager who demands respect and isn't afraid to give a player a kick up the a**e when it's needed and gives the players the truth not try to gloss over things.

Problem any incoming manager or coach has is they will need to be rather an expert in turd polishing, as there are quite a few in the current first team squad who are masquerading as professional football players. Exceptions to which are already subject to transfer enquiries and tentative bids. IF those players do depart what are we left with?

Honestly 4/1 if i was a bookie. All it takes is a run of a couple of games without losing and we're be almost safe. If we get this new manager effect that every other team seems to get then we'll almost be safe. The players just need confidence and someone to inspire them.

I think the form has been down to the fact that us the fans are probably been the harshest critics of them and they don't like that. They have probably been getting two different messages, one from PEP that they were doing fine and then the boos from fans, has left them baffled.
We need a manager who demands respect and isn't afraid to give a player a kick up the a**e when it's needed and gives the players the truth not try to gloss over things.

4/1 "Not" to be relegated ? we are 12/1 to be relegated i strongly suggest you never consider bookmaking as a profession mate if you meant 4/1 not to be.... i'll leave you to workout why !!

Back
Top Bottom