Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
Definitely has the wow factor. Will create huge public interest and raise the club profile to its highest point in ages. That cant be a bad thing. We benefitted from MAPP's premier league connections, and there is definitly some truth in the saying "its not what you know, its who you know". He might also turn out to be a really good manager. Cant wait now to come back for the Rovers game (whoevers in charge).

Four promotions - exactly the reason why we won't get Grayson. He's ticked that box and has no reason to drop down again. He also achieved three of those promotions with Leeds, Preston and Huddersfield. Without discrediting the achievement, it was hardly against the odds to get those clubs out of the division.
He's far more qualified than Lampard though.

Wouldn't get on his back but if it comes to the end of the season and we've spent the money to sack Pep, bring in someone like Lampard, and give him the backing he'd presumably want, only to end up mid table anyway, I think I'd start to wonder what the point of switching managers in mid-season was.

I wonder if Eales and the board have ever thought ' I wonder why the crowds are down?' ' I wonder why there is vociferous booing , during and after home games?' ' I wonder if a different style of play would be entertaining?' ' I wonder if that was fun watching the team get thrashed 0-7' I wonder why 500 season ticket holders were absent on Saturday ' ' I wonder if its worth us protecting the interests of OUFC ' ' I wonder if we can explain away the explanation for the increase in season tickets when asked' Nahh I doubt for one moment those things were on their mind. Eales just got out of the bed the wrong side on Monday morning.

If Lampard is indeed appointed, it would be for one purpose only - and that is to get us promoted to the Championship. There is no other conceivable reason for DE to be after him, or for him to accept it.

Eales will have had applications from 50+ managers since Saturday, and none of them will require as much assurances as Lampard.

Even if you think it's a bad idea, it signals big intentions. And that's why it's very exciting if it does happen, and why I won't believe it till I see it.
And if Lampard isn’t sppoitmedmthemnwe will be a mid table L1 team becausemonly Lamps can get us promoted

So ur saying any manager that comes in and doesn’t finish higher than midtable and u will be disappointed ?

I don't know what exactly counts as mid-table but surely if you ditch the manager who's put you in 10th, and then end up there or lower at the end of the season you're going to wonder what you got for your money.

I think if they get someone like Lampard he would probably be demanding extra spending, and if there's nothing concrete to suggest improvement then it's going to be hard to justify the cost of sacking someone, taking on someone new and presumably giving him some kind of backing.

I'm starting to warm towards Frank. If he gets those players giving a hundred percent instead of what they've shown recently then we won't be too worried about his non managerial experience.
And we will be playing Swindon again next season [emoji106]
No Swindon won't get promoted!

I don't know what exactly counts as mid-table but surely if you ditch the manager who's put you in 10th, and then end up there or lower at the end of the season you're going to wonder what you got for your money.

I think if they get someone like Lampard he would probably be demanding extra spending, and if there's nothing concrete to suggest improvement then it's going to be hard to justify the cost of sacking someone, taking on someone new and presumably giving him some kind of backing.

You presume that Clotet would've kept us midtable when it was obvious that wed struggle to stay up if hed stayed for the whole season.

Did you really want Pep to stay for an extra 2 months so we could drift to lower midtable and in a relegation fight before,with time running out,to then make a change?

So ur saying any manager that comes in and doesn’t finish higher than midtable and u will be disappointed ?

It’s more about halting a potential slide isn’t it.

Many comments on here recently about the worry of a lack of stomach for a relegation battle and a drop into div2, so a mid table finish will be job done this season for me now. And then the rebuild.

It would only be a culture shock if he assumed OUFC was, in the respects you list , the same. Give the guy some credit. Don't you think for one moment he has researched the situation? It's hardly like he is going to walk through the door and say out loud ' Oh s**t I thought the team played in a 40,000 capacity stadium and were only points off the Championship play offs ' Culture shock No.
Well of course he won't think it's the same as Chelsea! But it's one thing knowing that, it's another being a a working environment that is so different from what you are used to.

As we are in a relegation battle according to some, bit risky going for an untried manager.

Best go for a tried and tested manager that will grind out results to stave off relegation.

Well of course he won't think it's the same as Chelsea! But it's one thing knowing that, it's another being a a working environment that is so different from what you are used to.

But then he would be able to shape that working environment.

As we are in a relegation battle according to some, bit risky going for an untried manager.

Best go for a tried and tested manager that will grind out results to stave off relegation.

And then what? Uninspired grinder of a manager plays awful football that gets results, no targets come in the summer, poor start next season, get to same time of the season, start again in a year's time?

And if Lampard isn’t sppoitmedmthemnwe will be a mid table L1 team becausemonly Lamps can get us promoted
Easy for you to say, but no that's not what I said at all. Simply that some say Eales has lost interest or is coasting while he looks to sell, but this suggests otherwise if true. Or, a take over is close. Again, if the Lampard story is true.

Could do without the suspense. Lampard has been interviewed before. This time he’s got the coaching qualifications so hopefully it’s him. Simon Grayson turned down MK. Presumably he thinks they’re on the slide...maybe he sees great potential at Oxford

Assuming you're on a wind up. It'll be a crap appointment for OUFC. We need experience!

No wind up.... I would genuinely be happy with DE taking this risk.

And I agree it is a risk, but past performance and success brings no guarantees about future successes.

So let’s have some young and enthusiastic blood with someone who has masses to prove and a lot at stake personally.

If Lamps has the balls to take this role, I will hold the faith.

Many comments on here about not wanting footballers who are in the twighlight years and pushing for young talent to be given a fair crack. So why a different attitude to a potential young manager.

Maybe Lamps profile will also be the catalyst to attract investment.

The working environment will be different to what he has been used to where ever he goes, he has never been a manager before so it’s a complete change.

I would be willing to give him a chance, every manager is a gamble so in that respect he is no different to anybody else, but he is going to need backing. If we have found some financial muscle from somewhere then I think it’s a fair enough gamble, if we don’t then go for someone experienced who can make the most of whatever resources we have.

All a new manager needs to do is steady the ship, assess the current squad and set in place plans for next season, adding that to finishing mid table is enough of a challenge for a manager who will be coming in to a team who have put in some woeful performances and were on the verge of plummeting down the table.

Don’t know why not. He’s unemployed and although he turned down MK cannot expect much more on offer

Back
Top Bottom