Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
Not sure about this. It would be exciting and as others have pointed out he was not just a great player, but is very articulate and knows his stuff.

However at least when we took Appleton on he had some coaching experience and a couple of stints as a manager under his belt.

Although I guess so did Pep (coaching experience) and look what happened there.

Nice bloke highly respected in the game and has good contacts no doubt, but I worry he has no experience as of yet as a manager, and before f to t goes pear shaped by the end of the season he leaves, he’s sacked would he want to dent his reputation?

Nice bloke highly respected in the game and has good contacts no doubt, but I worry he has no experience as of yet as a manager, and before f to t goes pear shaped by the end of the season he leaves, he’s sacked would he want to dent his reputation?
He may get more out of the players if they are playing for an ex England and Premier League "legend"*.

*In Chelsea's eyes

No chance, would be a terrible appointment. No experience, why should we be his experiment.
Another pattersonesque mistake

I would take Frank, and for several reasons.

1. He would raise the profile of the club considerably, which is important in terms of ticket sales, merchandising, and potential investment.
2. He's a very smart guy, and I think stands a chance of making it as a manager, so why not start here?
3. Great to help attract the kind of young potential talent we want at the club.
4. I bet the players would love working for him.
5. After a dire season it would be great to have some buzz and excitement around the place.
6. Would show serious ambition from Eales, who would need to make some spending commitments to Frank.
7. The season is gone anyway. It's not like we miss out on promotion if he isn't quite right.

Clearly the risk is ending up in a relegation dogfight.

My immediate response would be ‘God no’, But if it was Lampard vs a journeyman manager such as Brown or Grayson, I’d start practicing a rendition of ‘Super Frankie Lampard’.

Bizarre that as a fan base we are desperate for the club to sign young, up and coming talent to build on the successes we've had over the past few years but we're unwilling to extend that brief to the manager.

We did. Clotet was an up and coming highly regarded coach

Coach being the operative word. He had a track record of failed stints as a manager. As did Appleton. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't. Why not be a club that is renowned for giving players/managers/coaches a platform.

For the record - there's not a chance we'd attract Grayson to drop down to L1.

Coach being the operative word. He had a track record of failed stints as a manager. As did Appleton. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't. Why not be a club that is renowned for giving players/managers/coaches a platform.

Do you know him personally? He's just been sacked by the bottom club in championship. Could be possible if he wants quick route back into football.

Whoever was on that shortlist in the summer will probably be the ones being considered now, we don’t have the time to start interviewing with the window close to closing.

Doubt it, think the criteria for the new man will be very different

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him unveiled as our new manager at the Chelsea game tonight.
The appointment of Frank Lampard would thrill me. As stated already he is prepared to ply his trade low down. As a manager he has much to prove and I’m sure he sees us a stepping stone.
I’m sure he’d buy a house in the area too and probably loves Oxford too.
Far rather him than the likes of Phil Brown, Steve Evans, or other journeymen

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him unveiled as our new manager at the Chelsea game tonight.
The appointment of Frank Lampard would thrill me. As stated already he is prepared to ply his trade low down. As a manager he has much to prove and I’m sure he sees us a stepping stone.
Would be weird to appoint him tonight, apparently Eales is out of the country. Which actually makes me wonder, who is leading the recruitment of the new manager?

Many of us become 'journeymen'.

Grayson, with 4 L1 promotions under his belt

This.

Grayson is the smart appointment. Lampard is a glamour appointment - the spotlight will be on us under him. We don't need that. We need to get down to business.

I think he has a house in the Cotswolds.

Not totally against it, in fact I’d give him my full support if he comes, and I agree with appointing young hungry managers, but I’d go ones like cowley and Nolan that have at least had a while dealing with lower league players first. No matter how good a player, and how many coaching badges it’s a different set up dealing with l1 players than the prem.

Back
Top Bottom