Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
Not totally against it, in fact I’d give him my full support if he comes, and I agree with appointing young hungry managers, but I’d go ones like cowley and Nolan that have at least had a while dealing with lower league players first. No matter how good a player, and how many coaching badges it’s a different set up dealing with l1 players than the prem.
Crowley would be out of our reach, just signed a longer contract and Lincoln will want a large compo package plus his wages.

Not totally against it, in fact I’d give him my full support if he comes, and I agree with appointing young hungry managers, but I’d go ones like cowley and Nolan that have at least had a while dealing with lower league players first. No matter how good a player, and how many coaching badges it’s a different set up dealing with l1 players than the prem.
Crowley would be out of our reach, just signed a longer contract and Lincoln will want a large compo package plus his wages.

Quite and same with greyson probably wanting a big wedge, so u might well be down to a choice between people like phil brown or Lampard , in which case the choice is easy.

But with his record of getting people out of this league I think u have to at least approach greyson

I know the club's PR and marketing is s**t- employing Lampard would give the club a real shot in the arm in that respect. Most casual fans aren't excited by Rob Dickie and Canice Carroll (and their spine tingling potential) but Lampard...

If you're going to go for an ex-pro with no experience, there is nobody better surely. One of the best midfielders of his generation (Lampard > Gerrard), immaculate reputation on and off the pitch. Known to train harder than everyone else he played with so hopefully he can carry that across and continue that should he come. Intelligent and more or less a media pro.

Young players will jump to work with him- Chelsea would surely oblige.

A risk but better than some wet cabbage who got Preston promoted in 2012 then got fired swiftly afterwards

I know the club's PR and marketing is s**t- employing Lampard would give the club a real shot in the arm in that respect. Most casual fans aren't excited by Rob Dickie and Canice Carroll (and their spine tingling potential) but Lampard...

If you're going to go for an ex-pro with no experience, there is nobody better surely. One of the best midfielders of his generation (Lampard > Gerrard), immaculate reputation on and off the pitch. Known to train harder than everyone else he played with so hopefully he can carry that across and continue that should he come. Intelligent and more or less a media pro.

Young players will jump to work with him- Chelsea would surely oblige.

A risk but better than some wet cabbage who got Preston promoted in 2012 then got fired swiftly afterwards

What if the Preston promotion was 2017 before he left to take on a big club ?

Would be happy with Lampard or Grayson, both very different obviously

Only worry with Lampard is if he does remotely well i'd imagine West Ham or just any struggling Prem club will come and nab him straight away, at least with Grayson he'd probably have to take us into mid table in the Championship before anyone else was really interested in him again

if we go for Frank then it would require significant budget for players. he can attract quality but they will cost (unless they want to play for Frank and will accept lower salaries)

I would take Frank, and for several reasons.

1. He would raise the profile of the club considerably, which is important in terms of ticket sales, merchandising, and potential investment.
2. He's a very smart guy, and I think stands a chance of making it as a manager, so why not start here?
3. Great to help attract the kind of young potential talent we want at the club.
4. I bet the players would love working for him.
5. After a dire season it would be great to have some buzz and excitement around the place.
6. Would show serious ambition from Eales, who would need to make some spending commitments to Frank.
7. The season is gone anyway. It's not like we miss out on promotion if he isn't quite right.

Clearly the risk is ending up in a relegation dogfight.

I would suggest your list generally would apply to Teddy Sheringham when he went to Stevenage as well. That is the potential downside.

Then again, it could be the start of a great managerial career.

With some help from Uncle Harry, Frank could become a great manager. Frank comes from a great football family and i would say give him a chance.

Would be happy with Lampard or Grayson, both very different obviously

Only worry with Lampard is if he does remotely well i'd imagine West Ham or just any struggling Prem club will come and nab him straight away, at least with Grayson he'd probably have to take us into mid table in the Championship before anyone else was really interested in him again

Like The Players you mean !

I would take Frank, and for several reasons.

1. He would raise the profile of the club considerably, which is important in terms of ticket sales, merchandising, and potential investment.
2. He's a very smart guy, and I think stands a chance of making it as a manager, so why not start here?
3. Great to help attract the kind of young potential talent we want at the club.
4. I bet the players would love working for him.
5. After a dire season it would be great to have some buzz and excitement around the place.
6. Would show serious ambition from Eales, who would need to make some spending commitments to Frank.
7. The season is gone anyway. It's not like we miss out on promotion if he isn't quite right.

Clearly the risk is ending up in a relegation dogfight.

That's the best argument I've seen for Frank Lampard. I keep saying no, but now I'm not sure (thanks!) and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job. Simon Grayson was my first choice, but I think Lampard is more likely to want to come to us than Grayson.

That's the best argument I've seen for Frank Lampard. I keep saying no, but now I'm not sure (thanks!) and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job. Simon Grayson was my first choice, but I think Lampard is more likely to want to come to us than Grayson.

Nice bloke great player but no experience, do we take a punt and does he take a punt, but if it goes pear shaped his reputation could be ruined.

Do you know him personally? He's just been sacked by the bottom club in championship. Could be possible if he wants quick route back into football.

He's been promoted 4 times from L1. He's got nothing to prove at this level. Two of those promotions were with clubs who had no business being in L1 (Leeds and Preston). The other are now a Premiership club (Huddersfield). He made a poor decision to go and manage a basket club from the relative comfort of doing a steady job at Preston. Grayson = Cotterill. He'll keep getting work at Championship level no problem.

I'd rather not have this person who has no managerial experience. He is a tv pundit and former player and knows nothing about league 1. Please NO!!!!

Nice bloke great player but no experience, do we take a punt and does he take a punt, but if it goes pear shaped his reputation could be ruined.
I don't really care if his reputation is ruined, I do care if we regret appointing him.

However, my point is that Frank will be very well advised, and if he thinks coming here is good for his career then it says some very important things, including Eales has convinced him, and I bet he will take a lot of convincing.

It's if Lampard turns us down that we should be worried.

I don't really care if his reputation is ruined, I do care if we regret appointing him.

However, my point is that Frank will be very well advised, and if he thinks coming here is good for his career then it says some very important things, including Eales has convinced him, and I bet he will take a lot of convincing.

It's if Lampard turns us down that we should be worried.
Think what you want

Hmmm the problem with Lampard is it’s a bit of a lose lose for the club. Totally unproven so could flop and leave us fighting relegation. Could do really well and then he’d be off !

Hmmm the problem with Lampard is it’s a bit of a lose lose for the club. Totally unproven so could flop and leave us fighting relegation. Could do really well and then he’d be off !

I understand the ' flop ' bit and its a lose - but you also say he could do really well and be off. If he does really well , the team do really well and we get promotion , how is that lose? Its a win by any pessimists calculation.

As brave as it was to dismiss Clotet, I think it would be more so to appoint Lampard.

Apart from his lack of experience, he is used to being surrounded by a completely different level of facilities, players and staff than he will find at Oxford. You could buy the squad, club and stadium for less than Chelsea would spend on a fairly ordinary midfielder. 'Culture shock' might be putting it mildly!

But...

If he were to come here, you can only suppose he has been offered a better deal than 'the job's yours - there's no money for better players, half the best we ones we do have are crocked and the owner has lost interest a bit, so the crowd are a bit grumpy. Make the best of that lot!'.

Back
Top Bottom